DJ Mag Vote

bigsteve

I know its a just a popularity contest, but you can't moan about the results unless you vote. I struggled with my decisions this year, but went for the following:

1. Armin (Consistently good radio shows and awesome the 2 times I've seen him in the last 12 months)

2. Above & Beyond (Similar reasons to Armin)

3. Judge Jules (Difficult one this, but the 4 times I've seen him play out in the last 12 months, he has been excellent. And the energy he puts into it beats any other DJ by far)

4. 2manydjs (Awesome set at T in the Park)

5. Richard Tulip (Local warm-up DJ, outstanding at Promise and GK in Newcastle)

1. Eddie Halliwell (Obviously, from an entertainment point of view, no other Trance DJ comes close).

2. Judge Jules (For obvious reasons)

3. Marcel Woods (He was absolutely amazing when I saw him last - possibly one of the best sets i've heard in my life.)

4. Les Hemstock (A very under-rated DJ with an energetic, driving, style and quite a nice mixer too).

5. Fatboy Slim (Unique, wacky and a bloody good entertainer. Not technically the best, but considering I wouldn't normally listen to his style of music, he's doing something which gets me hooked every time).

Personally though, i'd like to see Armin win it. He's more down to earth that Tiesto and PvD, more widely respected, he thoroughly enjoys his job and isn't there for the money, and he's the most consistent DJ out of the Trance bunch. Each set he does has a solid flow and solid mixing and he never looses control of the crowd - that to me, makes a world number 1 DJ.

I've a feeling Tiesto might just get it back this year though. With PvD's no-show at Global Gathering, and being fairly quiet on the production front, I think Tiesto will overtake him again. Tiesto had rave reviews from everyone that saw him at Global Gathering, and he's recently released that "Pirates Of The Caribbean" track, so, if DJ Mag are right when they say they have around 100,000 votes each year, and Global are right when they say that 10,000 watched Tiesto - then he's just got 10% of the votes already!

Here's my 5 - feel free to post any disagreements :wink:

1) Ferry Corsten - purely because his LEF album is awesome and was the highlight of Dance Valley for me!

2) Jules - like steve said, last few times I've seen him he's just had the energy and tunes to destroy me on the dancefloor

3) Above & Beyond - album launch party was one of the best nights I've been to and restored my faith in clubbing and trance :)

4) Erick Morillo - I'm not massively into House but I can't help be hooked every time I see this guy, it's just pure filth emanating from the speakers!

5) Sander van Doorn - his tunes rule, he's cool and his 1pm set at Dance Valley was awesome, what a way to start the day, I hope I'll get to see him in Brighton again soon!!

It's so hard to choose 5 I have to say, I've gone off Tiesto this year, like the ISOS album but more for home-listening and I still can't forget his awful set Global '04! Armin has the tunes but not when I've seen him recently, I would put him at 6 if I could....hehe....

has anyone forgotten about Marco V and Johan Gielen?!?!?

I still rate Marco very highly but having not seen him play for nearly 2 yrs i dnt feel i cld have voted for him, he hasn't played Gods for a long time now.

As for Johan i've still never seen him play & i'm not sure if he has ever played around my way.

Both are quality DJs though and am sure they will do well

Marco V had a great album last year, but I have not heard a set from either of them, so couldn't include either. I feel I can only really vote for DJs that I have seen. For example, if I hadn't seen Jules this year, his radio shows alone would not get my vote.

Dave Pearce plays on dance Anthems aswell more supportola

But my god how fast was he playing it!! Supercharged speed! Then he slowed it down. It is a good tune but going to be more overplayed than it already way in a few months i think. And i'm not so hot on the rest of Fabio's stuff (his remix of Dormouse excepted).

Wow thanks for your number 3 placing for me Chrissie! If I could get in the top 1000 I'd be a very happy bunny! Can't believe you rate me above Armin right now!!!

On this note, Jules has asked me to casually remind you all as fans how important it is to spread the word and encourage voting in this poll, as his placing means a lot to him.

Looking at some of the results on years gone by on the Djmag site, makes you cringe a bit...

Some random, weird names in ther. I know its also based on entertainment for the crowd etc etc, but you gotta ask the question what are some dj's doing in there?

what are some dj's doing in there?

They released a crap tune into the charts. Look what happened after Benny Benassi brought out Satisfaction - he got into the top 100 DJ's. The Flash Brothers brought out Amen - they then also got into the top 100 DJ's list. "BT" also got into the top 100 DJ's - and even he was miffed because he admitted that, at the time, he wasn't even a DJ. He started DJ'ing after that!

It annoys me when people say "I've voted for DJ blah" because he's PRODUCED loads of good tunes recently. DJ'ing and producers are two different things.

Some good DJ's are poor producers, some good producers are poor DJ's, and some are equally good at both.

You wouldn't vote your plumber as the best electrician, so why vote a producer as best DJ? They're two completely different jobs. :?

For me...

1. Eddie Halliwell

2. Marco V

3. Ferry Corsten

4. Yoji Biomehanika

5. Jules

Eddie deserves to do well this year... Only thing he lacks is a production, but when let loose on that 909 he essentially does it live!

Corsten has made a great comeback and IMO fully established himself with some cracking productions. He took time out to get married and all dint he?

Marco V for his productions, Yoji is always great to listen to and im a fan of his works... Julesy boy again for his tunes, although this year has been a bit bad, but he is certainly the one with the tunes!

Archived