Gatecrasher Summer Sound System 2008

Well I have pretty much just woken up from my sleep after yesterday at GCSSS. It was a really good day despite the weather and a few other reasons which I shall explain...

We basically got there for the doors opening and were one of the first in, we spent a bit of time have a look around at the different tents and working out who we wanted to see. I think my taste in music is a bit different to some on here, meaning I didn't really see any trance DJs, which some of you may be disapointed in me lol!

We started off seeing a bit of Annie Mac in the Zane Lowe tent who was playing a blinding break beat set to kick off proceedings. We were then keen to see dubstep DJs Skream & Benga who were doing a b2b set in the Metropolis tent so we headed over there a little early to realise they were already running around half an hour behind schedule so ended up watching Plastic Little who are two MC's and a DJ. They started off ok but it got rather "samey" after a while. Skream and Benga were really good and I do enjoy dubstep but I was quite keen to see some of their two hour set and then check out some other DJs before returning to catch the end of it. Dans Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip were supposed to be on the main stage but we noticed the main stage wasn't open so we headed to see Out of Office, some house DJs. I asked one of the stewards about the main stage and he said that it had been flooded, didn't know if it was going to open.

This put a bit of a downer on the day actually as I was really looking forward to seeing Chemical Brothers who were headlining and Hot Chip too. We were told they might relocate some of the bands to tents but the only act I think they did relocate was Pendulum. So along with not seeing the headlining act, this also messed up other tents too as all the people that would have been outside the main stage were in all the other tents. This meant that they started to become crowded and I ended up missing some DJs I wanted to see as you just couldn't get into the tents. It was pretty shambolic really. Gatecrasher would have known the weather forecast was rain, yet they somehow managed to let the main stage become flooded?!

Anyway still managed to catch a few other DJs despite missing some, here's a brief round up -

Zane Lowe was really good. I've seen him DJ before at University and just over a year ago I actually warmed up for his set, so it was cool to go and see him again. He mixes up indie, house, d n b etc with really tight mixing and does a lot of sampling, cut mixing etc. So that was a really good party set. Before Zane, Mark Ronson was on. I was interested to see Mark as I've heard a lot of his productions but never seen him DJ. He played a nother good party set which quite a wide range of genres and some old soul and funk thrown in for good measure. Lily Allen also made an appearance before he played his production with her singing lol.

Justice put on an amazing stage show and played a nice mix of their tunes and playing quite different versions of a lot of them. I went to see Dizzee Rascal who I know isn't everyone's cuppa tea but he did a very good performance and it was good to hear his tunes live. DJs Erol Alkan and Tiga both did really good sets and it was good to see both of these DJs live as I've never seen them before. I now need to check out Alkan's charts as he played some blinders!

We also caught at the end of the night High Contrast who is a d n b DJ who plays a lot of his remixes of current chart tracks etc which was good.

Anyway, before I start rambling, thought I'd end my little report! Had a great day despite the rain, cold, mud! and I'm still really disappointed with the main stage as was looking forward to the chems. Nevermind tho, saw a lot of other good DJs!

Thanks for the interesting report Wakey. :thumbsup:

A real pity about the main stage being flooded. It is indeed a disgrace to allow this to happen at such a large event, as it could have been avoided if the organisers had erected another tent incase it was needed due to bad weather.

Must admit l preferred the Sat line up as l'm not into D&B etc but wouldn't have minded seeing Zane Lowe.

Yeah, everyone else knew there was going to bad weather, I don't see how they let it happen. I've been reading that apparently Dans le sac vs Scroobius pip and Crystal Castles did their sets from a bus but hot chip and chemical brothers were cancelled. There was still no info that they were doing their sets from a bus though!

It was enjoyable anyhow. I would have liked the sat line-up more I recon, some good house DJs were playing. Zane is really good, definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance :)

the organization seemed a bit frantic at soggy soundsystem! didn't hear about the main stage being closed due to flooding. how many of the acts were cancelled in the end?!?! went for a couple of hours on sunday afternoon with simon patterson and they hadn't even opened the crasher arena by the time we turned up!!! crasher artist liason people also forgot to pick up a load of DJ's from nearby hotels too...

Bloody hell. Yeah I wanted to catch a bit of Simon Patterson but like you said crasher tent wasn't open for ages so I went to see some more DJs. Organisation was shambolic really. As far as I know only hot chip and chems didn't play the main stage but there was no info about the other acts playing elsewhere. Bit of a shame. I tried not to let it ruin a good day thought and made the most of the acts I saw!

Good report, Tom. A real shame that the main stage was flooded. Presumably they closed it on safety grounds? Strange as I've seen Glastonbury stages flooded before and they haven't closed them. It must have put a huge impact on he other tents. Scandalous they can cancel a headline act such as the Chems. If you're going to hold a festival in May, don't have open stages. The BBC learnt that a few years ago in Manchester with OBW.