Hmmm question

emy

It probably is just me being a thicko but on Judge Jules radio show what genre is he playing now....trance/hard trance (well I don't think it sounds hard)/house/dance...

I listened to the whole two hours last night, then Kutski came on with some banging tunes and I am thinking ah this is a bit better, but I only listened to about half hour of his show then went to sleep

I am really just very bored right now..what do you think of his show now?

I am just very impressed with this board still and how fast people reply :)

Its hard to say cos i've never ever classed as an out-and-out Trance DJ - or anything else for that matter. He crosses over between Trance, bouncy, faster House-based music, and a bit of Techno too. He's also brought the BPM down over the last few years. Jules now plays at around 135-138 BPM. I was listening to his Mardi-Gras mix from 2002 yesterday, and he started at 138bpm and took it up to 143BPM. Those were the days :(

I am becoming less interested in the tunes he plays. I don't feel the same urge to hear the show like I used to.

Last year I was really into the harder side of trance, and he delivered it in his 30 minute mix at the end with the tunes like 'Smack' and 'Vengeance - Temptation' ... but now I have gone a few bpm slower with my interests preferring tech-trance tunes, and I don't think Jules plays the sort I like really - in my own opinion that is.

It probably is just me being a thicko but on Judge Jules radio show what genre is he playing now....trance/hard trance (well I don't think it sounds hard)/house/dance...

I listened to the whole two hours last night, then Kutski came on with some banging tunes and I am thinking ah this is a bit better, but I only listened to about half hour of his show then went to sleep

I am really just very bored right now..what do you think of his show now?

I am just very impressed with this board still and how fast people reply :)

yes that's because you are slagging of my idol!! :unsure:

I dunno what genre goes with what these days and stuff changes too with time doesn't it! Trance gets more techy with one DJ while another takes a more "progressive route" when actually Hard house and trance used to easily share the same set and not be out of place!!

I have heard Kutski show, it is quite good, that kinda stuff I have to be in t he mood for, like post clubbing, or working hard at something, the stuff Jules plays just makes me wanna DANCE! Except for the danced up Chart tunes! They're alright for cooking dinners too, or riding on a bus! :D

I am becoming less interested in the tunes he plays. I don't feel the same urge to hear the show like I used to.

Last year I was really into the harder side of trance, and he delivered it in his 30 minute mix at the end with the tunes like 'Smack' and 'Vengeance - Temptation' ... but now I have gone a few bpm slower with my interests preferring tech-trance tunes, and I don't think Jules plays the sort I like really - in my own opinion that is.

When did you last hear his end of show mix?

Same here, I used to listen religiously to both the Friday and Saturday shows. I'd even make sure I was home in time to listen if Jules was on - but now, I just find Jules to be all over the place with his tune selection. He doesn't seem to have a style any more. Once upon a time, Jules's style was anything from House, Trance or Techno - but it was always energetic, with bouncy, funky basslines - with the odd wacky tune for good measure. His style now is just "random".

Yeah same here I reckon. Jules surprised me at the Ministry Of Sound last month because he actually played quite hard and fast - which was just like his old days - and it was the first time i'd enjoyed a club set of Jules's for about 3 years.

My biggest gripe with Jules's club sets now is that he messes about with tunes too much (too much dodgy looping and attempted 'scratching') - plus far too many bootlegs - and he also supports his own tunes for far too long, such as Keep me Running, which i'd heard him play almost every time I saw him over two years, and also Laid Bare - which was also over-played. I like both of those tunes, but it became tedious KNOWING they were going to be played whenever I saw Jules. Its been the same with Arnej - They Always Come Back this year too. Even the best tunes become tedious when you hear them too often.

When did you last hear his end of show mix?

oooh well the date goes well back, back to the times when i was on the air (april/may, summer). that was the time when i enjoyed listening to the other tunes on the show because you would hear them and immediately want them for your own mixes.

oooh well the date goes well back, back to the times when i was on the air (april/may, summer). that was the time when i enjoyed listening to the other tunes on the show because you would hear them and immediately want them for your own mixes.

IMO this has always tended to be the fan base of Jules, people just starting out kinda get to like him and know him on the radio and almost he becomes their gateway to other things, this has for as long as I can remember been the case!!! Plus the bunches of chavs that only know him from the radio shows. And a couple of older veterens who just love it all and are loyal! :) I have Always found him far better in a club for dancing to and I like the gateway feel to his radio shows.

Edited by Number 2 fan

I rarely listen to the shows but instead look at his tracklistings to see what new audio is about. His club sets are a bit hit and miss to be honest. The last time I saw him was at Crasher in Notts but it was so mediocre that I didn't even bother writing my usual in depth report. Eddie was pants too.

I rarely listen to the shows but instead look at his tracklistings to see what new audio is about. His club sets are a bit hit and miss to be honest. The last time I saw him was at Crasher in Notts but it was so mediocre that I didn't even bother writing my usual in depth report. Eddie was pants too.

I'm definately with you on that. Jules has been poor for the last two years, and Eddie has been quite weak too. Both DJ's used to blow me away - but they've both become a bit lazy now.

If Jules could sort his mixing out again, build a proper set rather than just throwing it together randomly, and cut out the crap bootlegs, then he'd be superb again. If you compare his sets from 2000-2003, to a set from 2007-2009, you wouldn't even think it was the same DJ - the difference in quality has reduced so much :(

Ed's sets used to be so energetic and he looked like he was fully into it but the last couple of time's I've seen him he looks like he can't be arsed. He played before Jules at Crasher so it wouldn't be his trademark 'thrash' style but even still, it was pretty lame. Hardly did any tricks and played mainly boring techy stuff. Just didn't do anything for me (sorry Eddie).

i've always had Jules down as a more housier DJ. He always has been. A trance DJ to me is Armin Van Buuren or someone like that. Eddie Halliwell (who i've never really rated - must be something to do with the overexaggerating EQ movements) is more on the techno tip. Jules just plays the more pumping european house as opposed to the soulful US sound - i dont think he's a "garage" man.

Pete Tong is the one who i thinks been pulling it out the bag recently. His "new" style is right up my street. Dirty, dark and bassy.

i've always had Jules down as a more housier DJ. He always has been. A trance DJ to me is Armin Van Buuren or someone like that. Eddie Halliwell (who i've never really rated - must be something to do with the overexaggerating EQ movements) is more on the techno tip. Jules just plays the more pumping european house as opposed to the soulful US sound - i dont think he's a "garage" man.

Pete Tong is the one who i thinks been pulling it out the bag recently. His "new" style is right up my street. Dirty, dark and bassy.

See Eddies was Hard house at one point and Jules was Trance yet some tunes they could both play and get away with as their genre. I hate US house! Ewwwwwww! I have deep respect for Pete Tong, he's so laid back but not stoned laid back!

Jules isn't a House DJ though - a House DJ is someone like Rampling or Morillo. Jules isn't even close to them. Jules just plays a variation of House, Trance and Techno. I think this nis why a lot of people dislike him in clubs now - he's very hard to fit into a "proper" night such as Gatecrasher or Godskitchen because his style always kills the flow of the night.

Eddie, apart from the last 12 months where he's gone very Tech-House, used to be all things hard and energetic - Trance & Techno. I've not heard him play Hard House for years - those days are long gone. In fact, Eddie's style was pretty close to how Jules used to be around 1999/2000 time. That's probably why I started to like Eddie once i'd started to go off Jules. Barry Connell was also very similar - and I liked him too until he sadly died.

There's better DJ's i'd rather listen to than Jules now that used to play his kind of style from around 2000 time. Keep your eyes out for Jordan Suckley. He'll be the next one to really make an impact witin the next couple of years. Bryan Kearney is also massively under-rated.

Hadn't Jules used to class his style as 'hardcore progressive', doesn't really mean anything but if you want a term I guess that's one.

I still respect Jules enormously but my tastes have changed & it's very rare that I bother listening to his show unless he has a guest I'm interested in or the mix looks particularly enticing. The fact that I have so little in common with him musically anymore means I can't really rate him

There's better DJ's i'd rather listen to than Jules now that used to play his kind of style from around 2000 time. Keep your eyes out for Jordan Suckley. He'll be the next one to really make an impact witin the next couple of years. Bryan Kearney is also massively under-rated.

Unless Jordan gets into production, i cant see him cutting through big time. I think now, to get on the DJ circuit, you have to be a producer aswell. The people that have all broke through as DJs in the past 3-4 years have all done so off the back of productions. Eddie is the last DJ i cant think of that broke through on being a DJ solely.

Anyway, one that has particularly impressed me of late is Laidback Luke. Absolute maniac.

Bryan Kearney is also massively under-rated.

Agreed. I haven't actually seen Bryan live but his productions are top drawer and the clips I've seen on YouTube are awesome. His style is route one, straight down the middle! He doesn't really play any venues near me so haven't had the chance of yet. Defo one for 2009.

Can't comment on his ability to structure a set or mixing but the tricks/use of effects I've seen on YouTube look pretty tidy.

Fab & Groove on listen again every sunday morning for me, proper characters,

I listen to jules most weeks to hear stuff I notice on the tl's I havent heard elsewhere far as I been concerned hes always been across the board style wise these days with people wantingh straight trance sets n that he does stand out a bit.