WHat happened?

I have been out of the scene for quite some time and listing to the new stuff DJ's are mixing these days just isn't cutting it for me. Back in the day, the music had depth and meaning. Now it just seems to be all the same stuff. My favorites are Judge jules live from Go'd kitchen back in 2000 and Paul oakenfolds mix from havana cuba. WHat do you guys think?

Welcome on board Sir!

The way I see it...

Music is evolving, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Many genres have had it's dead periods without much evolving or none at all, sometimes resulting in a hibernation-state.... just to suddenly re-invent itself by adopting another genre and creating a new subgenre.

As humans, we like what we already know. A new sound with familliar elements is easier to 'like', than a completely new sound with no reference to anything we already know.

We need time to adapt to those completely new sounds, which is why new creative genres sometimes has a hard time being 'liked'. It's like being at A, and suddenly introduced to D...

To ease the transition, new subgenres/styles B & C are created... with elements of both A & D, creating a smoother transition between the old familiar sound and the new alien sound.

A problem with this process might be if it's not balanced and is taking too long.

That might make us bored of the sound before it's fully adopted.

I guess it's quite a balance to satisfy everyone and still create something new.

Ok, I'm blappering here...

I think most of us here can agree that the golden era of the past isn't coming back, which is why this site exists... to preserve and protect the valuable treasures of the past.

The golden era for me regarding trance and bouncy techno & (hard)house was 99-2001, and listening to those sets from back then every now & then is so nice because it's familiar and it's the tunes I loved back then and still love today.

Obviously Jules is one of my faves from the times, but Paul Van Dyk and Sasha had an amazing sound back then.

Judge Jules' University Tour in 99/00 was amazing, along with his friday night 30min hotmix.

Homelands and the Qontact set from 2000 is faves aswell.

Paul van Dyk's 'Ministry of Sound' sessions were superb, including his Mayday 2000 set, his 1999 set from Home at London which is all just... brilliant.

I hope.. that the genres and DJ's will reinvent themself once again and that I can keep up, because I do believe that it's not just the DJ's and the producers that has a part in the question "is this good music?"... but we, as listeners, need to be prepared for whatever new sound is coming... however slow it might come along :)

Thanks for reading!

Over'n out.

I agree completely with what you said. I also feel from a different perspective that the techno genre is way toooooo main stream nowadays. Years ago I used to always say that I wish the techno scene was a little more wide stream and used to get excited when I would hear a commercial on the tv with techno in the background. The reason I would get excited is because alot of the people I work with and associate myself with today always make fun of me for listening to techno and my come backl would be if this music sucks, why do commercials used the clips to emphasize a commercials message. Now I wish I could go back on what I said and that techno should stay underground more as it did years ago. One of the reasons I feel so strongly about this now is because like I said in my post I havent been listening to the new techno that has been out for the last few years, and recently I aquired an iPhone and playing around on iTunes, I noticed that Judge Jules and Oakenfold have Podcasts. I downloaded a few and was EXTREMELY dissapointed in the music they were playing. I feel as though the music they were playing was of quality of that you hear on a top 40 radio station. SAD!!!!

Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear from you soon!

I like these debates..

Music has to evolve or else we would all get bored. As Fuzzy hinted at, music is never just a free-floating concept for any person; it is subconsciously often a reference point for specific moments in your life - both good and bad - which mean it gains a whole new meaning and reason completely unique to you.

At any moment in time, what is someone's passion is someone's hate, in a musical sense. And that could be for any reason, but probably because they're of a slightly different age and therefore the music has lost or gained an entirely different "meaning" for someone who has mentally attached it to a different generation ro experience. Once one accepts this, then you just have to delve further to find that sound you love and in doing so you'll soon bump into random like-minded people who want to reminisce too, which is what I like on here.

The 'cycles' that music goes through where it takes new directions (and disgruntles older listeners) happens every few years and is completely normal in all genres of music, hence your dad saying "music's not the way it used to be"... and he'd be right :) Today's sounds are only relevant because they're newer.

not talking about any type of dance music in particular. but i think the quality of music that was around in 2000/2001/2002 was much better, these days we're flooded with 4x4, dubstep, fidget etc. i have nothing against people who like that and enjoy it (unless it's chavy 4x4), and i'm open to anything so there might always be a good track around the corner. but personally i think todays stuff lacks in comparison to the tracks from the years i mentioned above. i understand that dj's can only play what's here at the time but if you use tiesto for example, as far as i am concerned he sounds a former shadow of himself today compared to the early 2000's.