Board meet-up?

Max Kane

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to meeting everyone, particularly Quadrant (if you show?) and Tom as I've not met either of you before, should be a quality night!

Am already battered after having 3 pints of wifebeater at lunchtime before going back to work, and having just polished off a bottle of white in the C&B before getting ready here. Christian I apologise now if I meet you slightly spangled. Debería ser una noche muy interesante, señores y señoras... -_-

I'm particularly tired having driven back last night & had precious little sleep before embarking on another day out for the Wolves game today, so you'll forgive me for saving my report in full for tomorrow. But in short it was a fantastic night, great to meet up with Tim & Christian plus loads of other friends & randoms down in London. I really enjoyed my set & it seemed to go across well, I have big plans for the recording of it so keep an eye out for that.

Full report will follow...

Right then here goes...

The night started off around 7.00pm as I began loading the car with the essentials, DJ bag, headphones, CD wallet, Sat nav, etc & then picking up the party of friends who were travelling down to London with me. All present & correct we headed off in ernest.

The drive down was largely uneventful, there was a little bank holiday traffic around Worcester & Oxford but not much & we arrived into London early around 9.30pm. The first time I played Ministry I had no real idea of where it was & was minus a sat nav so it proved an experience actually locating the club. This time around there were no hardships & we parked up just down the road & headed into The Rockingham Arms where I was to meet up with various friends & contacts from the club.

As I'm sure many of you are aware I was due to meet the founder of this site Mr Tim Trail along with Christian & a few other friends who now live in London. I was a little wary as Tim sent me a message on the drive down advising me that he was already 'battered', I awaited his arrival with baited breath...

Walking into this particular pub on the night there's an event at Ministry is pretty cool, there are loads of people obviously hitting the club, as it's so close, & the sight of someone carrying a Technics bag has on both occasions caused plenty of people to come over for a chat. Randomers are always the best people to get chatting to ;)

Having chatted to many well wishers I caught up with some other friends & people associated with the promotion itself as well as Robin Thurston who I'd DJed with previous in London. Shortly afterwards messrs Tim & Chrsitian made their way over & after talking to them both online for around 4 years or so it was nice to actually chat face to face.

My set was scheduled for 1.30 but the promoters had requested me in the club a little earlier so as to get everything sorted out & clear all financial dealings before everyone was a mess. I spent most of my pre-set time in the club residing in The Bar, which was host to some cool prog house & electro. I briefly checked out Sister Bliss from the confines of the VIP balcony but avoided spending too much time in the massively loud Box (mainroom) as I wanted to save my ears a little for later.

I hit the Baby Box (our home for the night) around 1, Hugo A-Go-Go was playing some really cool funky progressive stuff & complete with wig had the place going crazy, I could tell it was going to be a fun set. I'll leave the specifics of my set for later as I'm using a recording of it for the 100th edition of The Progressive Showcase in a couple of weeks time, but suffice to say it was one of the most enjoyable sets I've had the privilege to play this year. A cracking crowd & a really good vibe throughout. I kept things a little more housey than I perhaps normally would but I was keen to ride with the vibe of the night & thankfully it seemed to go down well.

DJ Gravity (the promoter) was up after me & I handed over a little after 2.30, staying for a brief chat & generally catching up, he also passed over a couple of his forthcoming releases on CDR which are magnificent & definate ones to watch.

I left the booth & chatted to a few of the people who had made the set so enjoyable with their (how should this be put) antics & then headed to the main room to catch the end of Jules' set. Unfortunately the set times of myself & Jules clashed a little so I didn't get to see too much of his set but I caught the last 3 or 4 tunes & I have to say they were pretty good, a remix of Binary Finary, a Marcel Woods tune which I can't remember the title of & then his final tune was amazing, but alas I have no idea on it's ID.

Faced with the drive home (I didn't want to break my 100% record of Wolves games this season) I headed off after Jules, leaving Tim, Christian & co behind. The drive home was thankfully equally as uneventful as the trip there. Once again everyone in my car managed to fall asleep just as we left the city & let me tell you driving home tired & bored with no-one to talk to on the world's most dull motorway (M40) wasn't worthy of much narration.

I finally hit the hay around 5.45am for some much needed rest, but I have to say it was a majorly enjoyable evening, I love Ministry & have to say it has suceeded The Emporium now as my favourite club. Thanks to Tim, Christian for coming along as well as anyone else I chatted to & met up with, hopefully I'll be back again soon ;)