Board meet-up?

Max Kane

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent report there Tom! I'll add some of my own musings of the night, and I'm sure Christian will add more :)

1pm I went to Revolution in the city and washed it down with 3 pints of Stella, before going back to work in the afternoon. I must add that this is not a normal occurence, but it was a very quiet afternoon (and a Friday). Needless to say I left work early and headed to the bar round the corner with some workmates where we polished off 3 bottles of white wine between the 4 of us. It was going to get out of hand so I left and headed home to get changed and sort myself out, and set off to meet Christian (thirddrive) at Embankment. I think we had a few of beers, some Gin was also involved, and before we knew it was nearing 10.30pm and was time to meet up with Mr Tom Bailey (whom both of us had ever met before) in the Wetherspoons nearby MOS... so a quick tube to Elephant & Castle and we found our way in there for another beer. I sent Tom a text and we did some early guesswork about where he was. It was between 2 people and I couldn't think which one was Tom, so I made my way over and introduced myself and it turned out to be right (Tom - the other guy I think was your brother if I'm not mistaken?!).

By this point, Christian had procured the involvement of 3 very lovely rowing ladies to come join us, which was ideal, and we all set off to MOS, through the security staff pat-downs and rather reassuring metal detectors, and - always one of my favourite moments - into that amazing wall of sound that envelops you as you open the heavy doors to the entrance. An already-good night was made even better by the random appearance of one of my best mates from Uni (from my days as former darts player and also the only true clubber in our college back in the day), who I had no idea now lives near me in London. He and his vest-wearing mates took an interest in Christian's female trio and we ventured into check out the rooms. Luckily I was relatively sober at this point and I felt perfect so there was no need to fork out on more drinks, which predictably are rather expensive in there anyway.

I thought I'd check out Sister Bliss quickly to see what she was like (DJing), which was in the main room. I have to say right now that it's one of the best sets I've heard in a very long time, and despite some thirst I couldnt' tear myself away from the floor. I might have mentioned to various people multiple times how enjoyable the tunes were, and as far as I'm aware I think the feeling was mutual! Wonderful selection which intricately pressed along at absolutely the right tempo... here's hoping a TL of the set or even a recording materializes on the web because it was excellent. Jules was on after Miss Bentovim (good call whoever found out her name on here earlier btw) and he respectfully let her last record's outro deconstruct its interwoven layers to almost nothing, before embarking immediately on a brisker tempo. We only caught a snippet of Jules' set because Tom's set was due to kick off in the other room, so we eagerly set off to fill the dancefloor in there and throw some shapes.

You couldnt feel the room had a good energy in there already. After coming from Sister Bliss's set it was the perfect transition for me and was a thoroughly enjoyable tune selection. Tom you looked like you'd been playing there for years, with some effortless mixing - although there was some nutter right in front of the box who was going absolutely mental with enjoyment and kept wanting to shake your hand which must have been offputting! Later I nipped into the Loft upstairs to grab a water and check out the music in there, but it was largely empty in contrast to the other rooms.

Finally we wandered back to Jules's set who was playing some nice tunes before signing off - hopefully you should hear that when it gets posted (Tom also recorded his set which will be showcased on this next show). Tom had to drive back so had to leave unfortunately, but I think it was Greg Downey who was on after Jules who showcased a rather different avenue of Trance which I found very addictive. There was one piece of bizarre but atmospheric Trance in there which was in 3/3 time - where the snare is on every 3rd beat - which from a technical point of view opens doors to another dimension of different rhythms and mind-tricking syncopations which I really loved. Who knows what it was? And when the next track came on in the usual 4/4 beat, we all wondered whether we'd simply dreamt the track up or not. Amazing.

Just after 4.30am my back was hurting from all the activity and we called it a night, and we headed our separate ways home, exhausted but fulfilled and very happy.

Overall it was an exciting spectrum of DJs on the night which worked very well for me musically. I must also say it was a pleasure to finally meet you Tom after all these years, which all started with a mix you sent me by email which I absolutely loved and encouraged from the word go. Also good to have so many good people along and for me to finally give some proper support to an increasingly-impressive list of locations where Tom has played thus far. May it long continue! My only regrets are not finding a recording of TL of Sister Bliss's set, or experiencing more of the Judge - but at least he recorded it. :) No photos I'm afraid as the lens is gone on mine... I think Christian got a few but afraid I cannot remember!

Nice report mate, glad you had an enjoyable night & as mentioned it was nice to finally catch up in person. Also it was Orkidea on after Jules ;) That intro tune he played as I left was a bit special, sampling a load of massive tunes from the past few years

I'm afraid I didn't get round to this in the end sirs. My wife has been giving me lots of (mostly unjustified) grief at home lately and persuaded me it was too much of a trek from Bristol TM. I simply left it a too late to let her know and once I left it that late the decision was made for me. :rubbish:

Sounds like everyone had a really good night as well, absolutely gutted.

Good report, Mr. Neuro. Pleased to read that your drinking started nice and early and good effort in going til 4.30 :thumbsup:

I would have stayed longer if it weren't for my acheing body! I think we were all a bit shattered by then anyway!

You should trek down next time Steve, could make a day of it (admittedly mostly travelling for you :P).

Just thought would add my own 2 cents about the night - should have brought my proper camera really as the one of my phone produced some dodgy blurry pics, so really not worth putting them up I'm afraid - i can confirm though that the night did occur haha!

Anyway, I'd been looking forward to the night all last week and got chatting to a friend of mine at work who had just come back from Ibiza with 2 friends - they had loved it and were more than ready for a Ministry night out as they had not been before. The lure of Sister Bliss playing also played a part in it! And that is how 3 lovely ladies were to join us :)

On the night itself, I popped home to get changed from work then headed into town to meet Tim around Embankment. Ended up going to a Ha Ha! Bar I think, which was ok for drinks but fairly dull surroundings. We wanted music! After a few Coronas and G&Ts, we headed to Elephant and Castle to meet up with my friends from work and Tom to sort tickets and say hello. Thanks again for sorting these! From looking on the MOS site, they whack on a ridiculous "booking fee" of £1.95, even for advance so the reduced tix made the night great value.

We then headed across to MOS about 11:45 ish, and hit the dancefloor. It was great for Tim to run into his old uni friends too. We checked Sister Bliss, who, as Tim said, was playing some storming tracks, perfect 130 bpm warm up material. Didn't recognise a lot she played, but I did remember Joris Voorn - 'Sweep The Floor', which I'd bought a week previously - Ms Bliss was right on the EFX too, delaying and echoing this track to good effect. I love seeing female Djs play and Sister Bliss is now one of my faves. Jules was on next, but so was Tom so we headed over after the first track, which sounded really good - will have to check out the TL for the September mix it's on.

Tom's set was a blinder - nuff said! had the intimate room really going for it, and I need to find out every track you played as I want to buy them all! Really well done matey, would see you play anytime ;) My friend Helen also commented that it was her fave set of the night and you should play the Which? Xmas party haha, that'd wake em up!

We all headed back to the Box to see the end of Jules (who dropped 'Drop Zone' as we walked in and I went a bit crazy) and then enjoyed an hour of Orkidea before I left to catch the first train home at about 4 ish. Was really impressed by his set, played some really interesting intricate trance included that 3/3 time track that Tim mentioned - desperate to know what that is. I did find out though that one of the tracks he played and I liked was Andy Moor and Lange - 'Stadium Four' - all about the breakdown!

I'm off to finish packing now guys and gals as I'm moving to a new flat today, and start my new promotion role on Monday, so a lot of change going on, but all for the better!

Tom's set was a blinder - nuff said! had the intimate room really going for it, and I need to find out every track you played as I want to buy them all! Really well done matey, would see you play anytime ;) My friend Helen also commented that it was her fave set of the night and you should play the Which? Xmas party haha, that'd wake em up!

Cheers mate, glad you enjoyed the night! Thanks for the massive compliment too. My tracklist will be revealed in due time, I'm broadcasting the set next Monday on the show :)