iPhone

Moonman

I say go with your heart. Do you really need all those apps or is it just to show off to your friends?

Personally, a phone is for phoning; a camera is for taking pictures; and a laptop is for browsing the web and doing work. Nuff said.

i'm a gadget guy. And also an Apple fanboi. I'm already saving for a Macbook. I have an Apple iPod already. I love these phones, nearly all my mates have one now, i've wanted one for ages....but then the sensible side of me always kicks in....can i justify all the money this thing (and the contracts are 2 years contracts i believe!) will cost me? For the first time ever, i'm caught between genuine want and sensibility....

I was going to get one on orange because my contract is up for renewal - but then I changed my mind when they told me that i'd lose all of my loyalty discounts (£7 for every 18 months i'm with them - and as i've been with them a while, I get a good deal now) - plus i'd have to pay £87 for the phone (for the 3GS version - 3G is free) - and i'd have to give up my current tariff of unlimited mobile internet, unlimited texts and 600 minutes - and go on to an alternative £40 deal which gives me 500 texts (which is useless to me - I cane that), 600 minutes, and so-called unlimited mobile internet (so-called because there's a 750mb fair usage term in the small print - and apparently, its easy to go over the 750mb on the Iphone) - plus I have to agree to a 2 year deal - and I only go for 18 months maximum. The latest technology now is very outdated in 2 years.

So no, its not for me.

I'm thinking of either going for the Samsung Windows phone now (unlikely though because the Samsung phones have a bad reputation) - or a Blackberry.

You can even tune into Digitally Imported and attach the iphone to the Aux in your car....now that's quality :D

For about 5 minutes on Orange - and then the fair usage fee's probably start kicking in.

If anyone wants to do that, they seriously need to go with 02. This is where they've got the advantage over Orange. If orange want to compete with the Iphone, they'll surely have to ditch the small print in the terms on their so-called 'unlimited' deal.

I've never liked this whole "i" thing in front of words, which Apple started with the iPod... It seems terribly selfish and materialistic.

Then you have the iPlayer, iPhone, iTouch, i this, i that.... me me me Grrrr

For about 5 minutes on Orange - and then the fair usage fee's probably start kicking in.

i f*ckin hate "fair use" policies. What an absolute get out clause. If someone pays top whack for something then unlimited should mean just that. If i dont use my quota for a month, i dont get money for the amount of quota i dont use do i? Biggest loads of billox i've ever heard. Fair use policies make me so angry.

i f*ckin hate "fair use" policies. What an absolute get out clause. If someone pays top whack for something then unlimited should mean just that. If i dont use my quota for a month, i dont get money for the amount of quota i dont use do i? Biggest loads of billox i've ever heard. Fair use policies make me so angry.

I agree mate - I don't get how they can label something as "unlimited" when it clearly isn't. Why Trading Standards haven't stepped in to close this loophole is beyond me.

Vodafone used to do a couple of wireless internet dongles - both listed as "unlimited", but one had 3gb in the small print and the other had 5gb in the small print - and there was about a fiver difference in the price. Surely if its "unlimited", they'd only need to offer one product. Why not just clearly list them as internet dongles with 3gb bandwidth and 5gb bandwidth. Simples.

The thought has crossed my mind to get an iPhone when my contract with 3 runs out in a couple of months. I'll probably want to move off 3 anyway and go for a more up to date phone just so i can pick up emails on it etc. Up until now I've really never been bothered about phones and have a very basic samsung model purely cos it was cheap (I broke the phone I got free on the original contract). However, having just read how expensive it is I'm not sure I can justify it. Personally I'm not all that fussed about all the apps etc but everyone at work had the iPhone except me it seems and it would be useful just to get on the emails etc. Im sure there are plenty of other phones that would do that for a much better contract price tho so I will have to do my research when my renewal is due.

The thought has crossed my mind to get an iPhone when my contract with 3 runs out in a couple of months. I'll probably want to move off 3 anyway and go for a more up to date phone just so i can pick up emails on it etc. Up until now I've really never been bothered about phones and have a very basic samsung model purely cos it was cheap (I broke the phone I got free on the original contract). However, having just read how expensive it is I'm not sure I can justify it. Personally I'm not all that fussed about all the apps etc but everyone at work had the iPhone except me it seems and it would be useful just to get on the emails etc. Im sure there are plenty of other phones that would do that for a much better contract price tho so I will have to do my research when my renewal is due.

If you want it mainly for emails mate, you're probably better off just going for a Blackberry. The Iphone contracts are pricey, particularly if you really only want it for emails.

I agree mate - I don't get how they can label something as "unlimited" when it clearly isn't. Why Trading Standards haven't stepped in to close this loophole is beyond me.

Vodafone used to do a couple of wireless internet dongles - both listed as "unlimited", but one had 3gb in the small print and the other had 5gb in the small print - and there was about a fiver difference in the price. Surely if its "unlimited", they'd only need to offer one product. Why not just clearly list them as internet dongles with 3gb bandwidth and 5gb bandwidth. Simples.

I think how they get away with it is saying it is limited by a "fair use" policy to ensure all users get access to the network and the same standard of service. I doubt the network could handle everyone constantly downloading.

What trading standards should look in to is the clear price fixing now going on amongst mobile phone companies. There is very little to no competition.

i think orange has a 750mb data allowance, i dont think 02 does.

however im constantly checking my emails, facebook all day, and use msn on my iphone, and occasionally update apps via 3g, used maps in london alot, and im lucky if i use more than 100mb of data a month.

what you got to look at is the majority of apps are designed to use a minimal amount of over the air 3g data or over the air data.

even if you use radio streaming apps (which i do) you would struggle to use 750mb of data a month.

also im on o2, but every major city or town will have access to a free wifi hotspot (o2 provide theres via the cloud & BT openzone, not sure about orange)

id say you needn't worry about getting this data free, its gonna b hard to use that ammount by the points raised above.