Bonuses/salaries at work

Quadrant

I received a £1,200 pay rise today! Wohoo! But after tax, that amounts to actually bugger all extra per week. In fact, I don't think I'll notice it :(

Just wondered what happens at other people's work place, out of curiosity. We don't have bonuses or anything like that... I'm just happy to have a job at the moment tbh.

Well last year the company used the ' current economic climate ' as an excuse to tell us all after Christmas we wouldn't be getting one. From October last year I was on a temporary promotion until after the stock take this week, so even if I get a measily pay rise, I wont see it, as now my hours have been cut by six, and my promotional pay will cease on Saturday this week. My partner has just had the entire Friday shift taken from him. So not gonna be rich in 2010 either, but nowt I aint used to by now.

Budget... budget.... budget!!!

I had to take a 10% pay cut last year to keep my job - but before that, I before that, I used to get a 4% pay rise each year, plus a £500 Christmas bonus, plus two or three extra bonuses of around £200 for maintaining the company websites and keeping them search engine optimized.

I've just applied for a job with Virgin Trains though - so i'm hoping I get that. The pay is £400 a month better than i'm currently earning, plus there's other incentives too - so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck Carl – what type of role is it exactly?

I think now we are in a new decade things will slowly start to recover. I certainly hope so, as with the snow, I’m getting tired of the headlines of the economy and annoyed and upset for those losing their jobs. It is bad, and where we find ourselves is difficult considering how this all apparently started in the greed of American bankers!

As I work for a Water Company which lies in the Public Sector, we are governed by a regulator so things are pretty tight. Our salary increments are tied to the Retail Price Index (RPI) and whatever that figure is in November of each year, we get a rise in the new financial year.

Up until November last year, it was negative and quite low for some time. This actually meant we’d get a cut and some of partners operate on the same principles but use September's figure, which was even worse and meant that they have now actually taken a cut. Very very fortunate for us, petrol prices have soared (again) and people started buying as if there is no tomorrow for Christmas meaning it crept up above 0% and was actually 0.3%; so theoretically, we should get that as a rise. Although I'm not too sure, I guess it will just be frozen for this year.

Again our bonus scheme is tied to our Operating performance as seen by the regulator and what we have in financial reserves. The latter hasn’t been too good so I doubt we're getting anything this time around.

Nevertheless, as Quadrant said in the OP I certainly echo and are thankful to have a job...

Quadrant: I take it that's an annual rise? If so, that's approximately an extra £100 / month, which guessing after tax is roughly £50/60? Not bad? :mellow:

Edited by Aza

Well last year the company used the ' current economic climate ' as an excuse to tell us all after Christmas we wouldn't be getting one. From October last year I was on a temporary promotion until after the stock take this week, so even if I get a measily pay rise, I wont see it, as now my hours have been cut by six, and my promotional pay will cease on Saturday this week. My partner has just had the entire Friday shift taken from him. So not gonna be rich in 2010 either, but nowt I aint used to by now.

Budget... budget.... budget!!!

You will never get rich working for someone else

Quadrant: I take it that's an annual rise? If so, that's approximately an extra £100 / month, which guessing after tax is roughly £50/60? Not bad? :mellow:

Yeah I guess so Sir. It's actually the biggest rise I've ever had (I was promoted!) and I got all excited, but then I did some maths and realized it wasn't as much as I thought :rolleyes: And THEN I thought about it compared to the current climate and now count myself a lucky bastard!

I was thinking of changing to a rival company last year but I'm just going to sit tight. Now's the time to be loyal and sit tight methinks...

1_committee%20revises%20its%231%23.jpg

i have the same issue, i had a very good bonus one year, i paid half the bonus out in tax because my wage was alot higher, in essence i was paying £600 in tax,

what some companies do is give it you as a cash gift or cheque so you dont pay NI & tax on it and class it as a gift.

On the subject of bonuses, what are your thoughts on the RBOS staff getting bonuses? Makes me sick tbh. Taxpayers bailed them out...

Its a disgrace! Bonuses seem to be handed out as routine now - rather than being performance-based. RBOS didn't perform, so all bonuses should have been scrapped.

What should have happened is that, when the bank got into trouble financially, they should have been hit with an unauthorised overdraft fee, and then a daily bank charge too - just like they do to us when we make a slight cock-up and go £2 overdrawn, and then get a £20 bank charge, plus a £15 per day fee.....

Good luck Briggsy! :thumbsup:

Good luck Carl – what type of role is it exactly?

Muchas Grassyarse for the good luck :D

Its customer services within Virgin Trains mate. Its not the job I wanted to get into originally - I wanted to get into IT, but everyone wants 1 year experience, and I'm desperate to get out of my job - so I thought sod it and applied for it.

I'm hoping that my 2 week work experience with British Rail years ago, plus my knowledge of the Virgin Trains network and rail ticketing system - and contacts, will work in my favour .

i have the same issue, i had a very good bonus one year, i paid half the bonus out in tax because my wage was alot higher, in essence i was paying £600 in tax,

what some companies do is give it you as a cash gift or cheque so you dont pay NI & tax on it and class it as a gift.

I am looking forward to paying 50% tax in the near future :whistling:

the trouble with IT these days is, the bubble burst on it i'd say about 10 years ago - that was the time to get into it, and secondly, theres kids that are like 10 years old that know computers like the back of their hand. It's quickly becoming the new "media studies".

May I just kindly add, I do not pay any income tax. I do pay national insurance, and I have obviously in the past paid a hell of alot of tax, but atm I carefully work within the tax boundary only occasionally paying a few quid, and getting it back a couple of weeks later. :pinkman:

This actually makes tax all the more annoying as when I might get asked to do a few extra hours, say three, I then expect 3 extra hours worth of pay, only to find I have done three hours more work, and earned just one and a half hours worth of pay!! :wall:

May I just kindly add, I do not pay any income tax. I do pay national insurance, and I have obviously in the past paid a hell of alot of tax, but atm I carefully work within the tax boundary only occasionally paying a few quid, and getting it back a couple of weeks later. :pinkman:

This actually makes tax all the more annoying as when I might get asked to do a few extra hours, say three, I then expect 3 extra hours worth of pay, only to find I have done three hours more work, and earned just one and a half hours worth of pay!! :wall:

I am all about tax avoidance lol