Bonuses/salaries at work

Quadrant

I've been fortunate in the last year to be working for a small company which had a good year despite the difficult circumstances. Some of our competition went under last year which would have enabled us to pick up some new work and we also have been able to adapt the services we supply to gain more work. It's a sound, video and lighting production company which traditionally has mainly provided live event production solutions but in the last year we have done a significant amount more permanant installation work whilst live event work has decreased a bit due to the crunch.

All in all things seem ok at the moment though and I like some others here feel thankful to have a job at the moment. I actually had a rise of around 2.3% or something which is not gonna make alot of difference but it's still better than most companies would have given this year. We also received a chirstmas bonus this year but I have to say my final pay cheque for december was not that much more than usual considering I'd had a good bonus and had done a few days overtime but it just meant I paid a much higher amount of tax and also a load on my student loan repayments. That's another killer since I usually only just meet the minimum threshold for repayments each month so as soon as I do a load of overtime I suddenly get hit with a big student loan repayment.

I've managed to keep my 'temporary' promotion. Even though apparently the company, doesn't like people in that role being part-time, so it is until further notice. However no one actually asked me if I wanted to stay in the role?? TBF I aint bothered either way, as if I went back down now, I'd prob still end up doing the same job but back at the old wage. :confused:

Someone did mention something about a bonus though!!!! Hope it's enough for a long weekend in Ibiza! :mrgreen:

That's another killer since I usually only just meet the minimum threshold for repayments each month so as soon as I do a load of overtime I suddenly get hit with a big student loan repayment.

I've noticed this too. I'm actually trying to make (extra) online payments to get my monthly student loan repayments right down, or else once the interest rate goes up I'll effectively be just paying off the interest again - which is no good as I want it reduce the debt not simply maintain it!

See what you mean there Tim and Nathan.

I studied the small print of the SLC details etc and figure that is nothing really to even get hung up on or consider a burden. Yes, the repayments each month are annoying and the current rate of interest has actually allowed me to start paying off capital.

Nevertheless, it has no effect on your credit rating, does not prevent any mortgage decisions going against you as long as you account for the current repayments in the assessment.

Only unless I get a great salary would I possibly consider clearing it, but otherwise, I'll try drag it out until I am over 65 and let it get naturally wiped.

Briggsy: Sounds like a good prospect and the very fact that you are looking to better yourself albeit not in your ideal role should come across as very encouraging in the interview. My dad gave me some good real practical advice: as a manager, he was looking to recruit an electrical engineer and asked if the company could advertise in the national paper. A bag full of CVs and app forms came in and after reading through them, one stood out and he was intriqued just to interview the guy to ask why he put what he did on his form as he had a First in Electronics at University. The guy was temping collecting shopping trolleys at a supermarket and when asked why, he replied "It’s a temporary job whilst I continue searching for a better one’. He was eventually selected and turned out to be a quick learner, enthusiastic, good with colleagues and especially customers :)

Experience seems to alwaya hold people back going for something or even being considered for jobs, if you make it to the interview, it is then your's to grab! Good luck with it mate :)

Moonman: Yes, I think you're spot on with the IT bubble first thing. I remember wanting to be a web programmer when I was like 15. By the time I was finishing off A Levels, it was over an over saturated market, the wage was not competitive and you could even buy 'do it yourself' web packages. The web is so dynamic these days, things have come a long way, but it doesn't reward folk like it potentially could of.

I feel quite quite fortunate in my place at the mo. The demographics are more toward to other end of the scale compared to where I sit so people don't really like IT and not interested. Where as for the likes of today's generations, it's becoming more crazier with IT skills almost being like Enligh, Maths and Science. Where most employers look for the GCSEs with those common foundation subjects, IT is 'expected' to be in there too now :)

The problem looking for IT jobs too is that the term is used so loosely these days. Basically, companies think that anything involving computers is 'IT'. Sometimes, companies are looking for nothing more than a secretary - but because the job involves using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word from time to time, they try to make the job look more appealing than it is by labelling it as 'IT'.

What also amazes me is the difference in salaries between companies. I was looking around a few weeks ago and one company was offering £30,000 for an MCSE IT Technician, whereas another company was offering £12,000 for an engineer of the same qualification.

A couple of people advised me to 'go solo' and work self-employed. I've done my homework and there aren't that many freelance IT technicians in Coventry - and only a handful of shops that get involved in computer repairs too. My problem is no money to get started, banks wouldn't touch me because of my debt problems (i'm good with money now - but still suffering the aftermath of being stupid when I was younger) - plus i'm not sure i'd enjoy the "boring" side of paperwork and tax returns, etc.

MCSE isnt where the money is at nowdays.

if you wanna make real money in the IT industry you wanna get cisco qualifications, i.e CCNA CCSP and so on.

The problem is that most people who study Microsoft qualifications have done them via test killers and just learned the answers.

I work for a major IT reseller, and people with these quals arnt earning mega bucks tbh, yeah an ok wage but unless your some high end engineer managing comple cluster servers, sans and exchange servers your gonna struggle to get £30 000 a year.

Get Cisco CCNA and all the other various cisco qualifications and you can earn anything upto £60, 000 a year.

MCSE isnt where the money is at nowdays.

It was just an example of how varied the salaries for that particular qualification are mate. I've seen anything from barely over the minimum wage, right up to £30,000 per year.

To be honest, money doesn't bother me anyway. If I could get my foot in the door on a lower salary than i'm on now, then I don't care - I like working with computers, and absolutely hate my current job in engineering where I work on my own in a workshop all day with just a radio to keep me sane. Now and again my boss comes down with gripping conversations about the exchange rate, and how much Peter Mandelson earns. Exciting....

• 2 weeks later...

One of the guys in our team quit today. Although he had privately told me his intentions a few days ago, we are a very close-knit team so it still came as a bit of a shock to everyone.

I imagine he'll have some gardening leave in a month or so. I'm properly gutted!! :(