Why you should wear earplugs..

Number2Fan

I've never really understood why clubs insist on cranking up the sound systems this loud. Is it simply because they are run by people who have already lost their hearing? I realise that the volume is stepped up during the night (as our ears start to protect themselves!!) but why not simply start at a lower db to begin with?

I've never really understood why clubs insist on cranking up the sound systems this loud. Is it simply because they are run by people who have already lost their hearing? I realise that the volume is stepped up during the night (as our ears start to protect themselves!!) but why not simply start at a lower db to begin with?

I think its done simply for the atmosphere.

If they turned the volume down to a reasonable level, with 1000 people in a room, you'd hear lots of talking over the music. Worse still, if they turned it down to the levels that the Health & Safety Executive recommend, it just wouldn't be worth going out at all (anyone that has been to Global Gathering and been in the tents after 11pm will know what i'm talking about - the music is so quiet, you can have a conversation).

I guess if the volume is loud, people have the option of either listening to it at the volume it is - or buying ear plugs to lower the volume to a safe limit. If the volume is low by default, you have no options because you can't turn it up yourself - and that will annoy people that like music loud.

Thanks Briggsy and Number2Fan, l have ordered the ones you recommended and they should be with me by Tuesday :thumbsup:

They arrived first thing this morning and l have already tried them out! To be honest the sound is better with them in, l bought the Alpine "attenuating" ear plugs and am using the medium protectors but will also give the high ones a try, the holder is very useful. l also wish l had known about these years ago, thanks again, a bargain @ £15.19 :)

Great Chrissie!

With regards to loudness, I still love it loud, always have and always will. The difference now is I can still have it so loud my chest vibrates when I walk past a speaker, still so loud that I feel the music as well as hear undisturbed sound but it sounds better in quality and hopefully halts the damage I have already done.

Ministry of Sound in London have this problem in the main box - if you're at the back of the dancefloor, because of the positioning of the speakers the result is you're left with way too much bass reverb (that dull 'boom boom boom'!) that vibrates and overpowers absolutely everything at the expense of any musical core. And it's just way too loud. Earplugs work well in this environment to cut out the excess treble sound and ridiculous bass reverb so you can hear some melody :)

I went to Jules's "Like it's 1999!" gig last year and the treble volume was dangerously loud. It hurt. There were postings on facebook the next day about people not being able to hear at all and even perforated eardrums. Luckily (mercifully!) they sold cheap foam earplugs on the floor and they saved my ears, best £2 I've ever spent in my life.

Foam earplugs protect your ears OK if you really shove them in, but the proper (more expensive) ones are better because they're more comfortable and they don't block out so much of the warm, safe, "mid" range of the music. It's the piercing treble frequencies that will physically hurt your ears, often permanently.

Lineup has been released Dash Berlin, Eddie Bitar and James Dymmond in the main room, Jaxx Da Fishworks, Gavyn Mytchel ,Steve Lee and Billy Swaine in the 103, CTRL in the Loft and Circa 91 has John Kelly and Mr Chip.

Looks like I am probably going then (to be confirmed later next week)

• 1 month later...