Why you should wear earplugs..

Number2Fan

Briggsy on this board quit because of the same thing.

I've only had temporary tinnitus once after a funk/acid jazz gig in London where the treble was up way too high. Once I stumbled out I immediately became aware of the ringing which stayed constant for days and days which completely freaked me out... so when it finally faded away after the 3rd/4th day I vowed to never expose my ears to such constant volume ever ever again. They're incredibly easy to damage.

To have tinnitus permananently must be terrible.

I had it moderately for ages, but it did step up a gear after a visit to the ministry of sound a while back now, it was actual loud and varied noises for days after and I couldn't hear anybody talk except myself, it died down a bit, and I wore earplugs after that for clubbing. But it's done now apparently and the doctor says there's nothing I can do about it. So I'll always think there's a burglar alarm sounding just down the road, a noisy fridge in the next room, and a cheap radio playing somewhere in my house.

The most depressing part tho is if I try and mix, I can't listen to the two records at the same time, it jumbles up, and is totally confusing.

There are some noises that I just can't handle anymore too,

Sudden noises when the kids drop stuff on the wood floor etc. Yesterday in fact, my cat was playing with a marble and up until I saw it, I actually thought someone next door was letting off fireworks.

All them years dancing on speakers and wearing headphones were great, but I wish I'd worn earplugs 15 years sooner.

Don't make the same mistake as I have. :/

Amazingly, i've never suffered from Tinnitus (apart from the temporary ringing in the ears for one or two hours after clubbing/dj'ing).

The reason I quit DJ'ing was because i'd suffered a notiable loss in hearing - I was struggling to hear people talking in semi-noisy environments, such as in supermarkets, or places where there was mild background noise such as on a road with cars driving past). I also experienced excruciating pain in my left ear for around 1-2 hours per day.

I finally admitted defeat when I was slowly running out of volume dial on mixers. I was literally playing out all the time with my headphones 'maxed out' because everything sounded flat in my ears. It was getting harder and hard to beatmatch because it was hard the various frequencies in tunes - so I went for a hearing test, where it was confirmed that i'd suffered irrepairable hearing damage which affected the 'mid-range' frequencies (which is the frequency of speech - which is why I was struggling to hear people talking).

It was then I decided to quit because mixing was becoming more and more difficult, and I also couldn't cope with the 1-2 hours of pain every day (which I still get even though I don't DJ out).

So even if you've never suffered from tinnitus, or can still hear some things fine (such as the TV, etc) - if you have problems hearing people talking in every day environments such as supermarkets, then seriously, get your hearing checked. You can suffer an element of hearing damage without even realising it.

I can still hear low and high frequencies fine - which is why it isn't classed as hearing loss, because I can still hear TV's and radio's like anyone else - i've just lost certain frequencies, which make some things lower in volume or sound flat.

I have slight tinnitus not caused by being in clubs or venues with extreme high volume though, ive been to only a couple of clubs ever one of em i was at the front all night and censored me ringing in ears for a few days was manic, any time i know I'll be going to a club I'll have earplugs with me.

Music in a club now for me just becomes loud disorted noise after about 15 mins, I wouldn't recognise some of the most well known tunes. With the earplugs I was able to do two days at Global and as long as I put them in before I got anywhere near the music, I didn't even notice I was wearing them. In fact the music sounded better for me.

Unfortunately for a long time I'd been thinking the club sound systems were disorting the music, but actually it was my ears!!

Music in a club now for me just becomes loud disorted noise after about 15 mins, I wouldn't recognise some of the most well known tunes. With the earplugs I was able to do two days at Global and as long as I put them in before I got anywhere near the music, I didn't even notice I was wearing them. In fact the music sounded better for me.

Unfortunately for a long time I'd been thinking the club sound systems were disorting the music, but actually it was my ears!!

Music ear plugs do cut out a lot of the noise from the sound systems. Plus they make it easier for me to have a conversation when out as I can usually hear very little otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just perusing Tinnitus threads for tips as mine is playing up...I have a hearing impediment anyway which doesn't help matters. Am not a headphone wearer so in these later years I have to blame blasting music in the car, plus I work near aeroplanes. I gather there's not much you can do about it except try to block it out :(

Since I quit DJ'ing, the pain in my left ear has pretty much gone. I think i've had it two or three times this year - whereas before, it was almost constant.

Still no signs of tinnitis. I still struggle to hear people in places where there's background noise though.

It doesn't really bother me though - and I don't miss DJ'ing either.

• 1 year later...

I also highly recommend those Alpine plugs. I used to wear them when clubbing - and they're fantastic.

Your ears don't ring when you come out of the club - and, surprisingly, I find that you can actually hear people more clearly when they talk to you too (probably because they cut out all of the bad frequencies whilst keeping the good frequencies).

They come with three different filters too - so you can adjust how low you want to reduce the volume. I found the strongest filter to be a bit too strong. It blocked out a bit too much sound. The middle filter was perfect for me.

Whichever you do decide to buy, make sure you buy "attenuating" ear plugs. Attenuating ear plugs lower the volume to a safe level without losing any of the clarity of the sound - whilst cheaper, non-attenuating earplugs, lower the volume but lose clarity too. They block all of the frequencies - whereas attenuating ear plugs only block the harmful frequencies, whilst allowing the good frequencies through.

I have to say, the music sound quality in a club whilst wearing them is amazing, in fact I couldn't enter a dance floor without them being in place first. I wish I'd known this years ago and I would have used them for the last 25 yrs, and wouldn't now have permanent tinnitus.

Chrissie when I left that judgement party in Maidstone I saw you at, I got to the street and took them out and Damo, my friend was saying how he was deaf, and I was pleased to announce "I'M NOT!" 😁