Jules@Inside Out, Glasgow 28th Jan

bigsteve

falling off stages (pretty high ones at that) in the playroom is not the future to all success!!!

Ooops! A few UDI's in the morning then :lol:

BTW, Craig has ID'd the tune I was after. Pretty impressive, considering my rubbish description. It was The Killers - Mr Brightside, but a new trancier mix. Sample at http://www.replayrecords.com/navQuickSearc...rrer=navigation

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jules' take on the night:

Friends who come from other parts of the UK leave Inside Out gushing about its incredible atmosphere. It’s very difficult to describe in words- try to think of the loudest football match you’ve been to (assuming you’ve been to one.) A certain amount of crowd cheering happens wherever you go in the world, but only in Scotland and Northern Ireland is there a full-on screamfest from beginning to end. People must lose their voices for days after a night at Inside Out.

I can certainly vouch for the lost voice :(

A bit late with this report but I did promise!

I was actually due to meet Craig in the afternoon which we adhered to after his stop at the barbers, and we got stuck into a very nice all-you-can eat Chinese place around about tea-time in the misguided belief that it would soak up all that entered our mouths for the rest of the evening. Thinking a few people would turn up as the evening went on, we played over 15 frames of pool over the course of a mixture of Guinnesses, Stellas, and vodkas that tasted like doubles but were in fact strong singles. Unfortunately it appeared everyone in Glasgow had had rather a heavy Friday night so we didn't bump into any of Craig's mates until well into the early evening, after I had emerged as undisputed World Pool Champion.

Getting more liquid down us, we chatted in a hidden basement bar until suddenly Steve and his mate (also called Steve) arrived. More beers flowed and the humour was rife, and I could have quite happily have stayed there all night laughing and drinking the night away, until Robin luckily phoned me to say what the score was with regard to the clubbing ahead. I can't remember what I said to you mate but from what I relayed to everyone else, and everyone suddenly standing up, my brain concluded that it had become apparent that it was time to go and head there already. For an unknown reason, I was unable at this point to finish the last bit of my Guinness - as I stared down at it I distinctly remember Steve laughing!

Anyway, we then arrived at the Arches, by taxi or by foot I can't remember, and after a quick talk with the bouncer for the guestlist the four of us were let in to the sound (and looks) of Tylor Leigh. I remember Kaste - 'Desert Eagle' being played (ID'd by Craig afterwards) and things were going along nicely. Then 2 of Craig's mates appeared, Jo & Bryan, whom I'd met before, and then Stuart somehow found me and we had a good chat - you must have been a good deal soberer than i was mate, considering you were driving that night, but it was fantastic to meet you finally! I really hope we meet again soon.

I ventured into the other room - the "Playroom", a few times during the night to stay atuned as to who was playing in there, and Jules soon arrived for his earlyish set after Tylor. I can't describe the atmosphere in there that was building up then: the venue and soundsystem there is just unmatchable. Jules' mixing was incredibly tight and a few tunes ignited the floor like nothing I've seen! The bass in one track felt like it was vibrating my nose off - a very strange sensation - and when Keep Me Running came on it sounded infinitely better than when you hear it on the radio; a perfect example of playing the right tune at the right time, it was just nuts in there! I said hello to Robin as well, but only very briefly as he was keen to enjoy being on the stage (don't blame ya!) - you actually reminded me of Paavo Siljamäki a bit back there. I didn't see you fall off later though - it must have absolutely caned! We must meet up again soon mate over some drinks, I'm certain I'll catch you around very soon.

Agnelli & Nelson's set started slowly but very soon it became absolutely impossible to leave the dancefloor. Steve was loyally there for the whole set I think - easily the best moment of that was their track "Everyday", which I think was given a facelift by Blank & Jones to be out on Xtravaganza shortly. Absolutely amazing moment. I also vaguely remember making a move for a blonde girl on the front rails, which earned me a free drink from someone dancing behind me. I've no idea what was in it but it felt good. And at the end were we all chanting "one more tune" at the sound technicians for about 10 minutes, but they refused to budge so we all left... I took ages to get out because I was chatting to some randomers, so, sorry everyone if you were waiting outside for a long time.

After that, Steve had to go home, and Craig and I went to Jo & Bryan's flat to stay awake and try and play roulette and card games, which wasn't too successful due to the simple lack of cohesion as to the basic rules of 21 at the time. A wasted but throughly enjoyable weekend overall. Thanks everyone and I hope to see y'all again before I head off to Spain for a year in the Summer. :D

everyone suddenly standing up, my brain concluded that it had become apparent that it was time to go and head there already. For an unknown reason, I was unable at this point to finish the last bit of my Guinness - as I stared down at it I distinctly remember Steve laughing!

Anyway, we then arrived at the Arches, by taxi or by foot I can't remember

Firstly, we got a cab down to The Arches!

Tim, you were well hammered in Moskito :lol: Chinese meals are rubbish for soaking up beer! That last drink you had in that bar was a pint of Guiness with a shot in it and you were struggling to finish it off for ages!!! Hence all the hilarity from everyone :lol:

I did stay on the dancefloor for the whole of A&N's set (maybe the odd toilet break :wink: ) The tunes were just so unmissable.

Looking forward to a meeting up with everyone again very soon... 8-)

No apparently I've been told by Craig that he ordered me a Dr Pepper cocktail in Mosquito, so it was in fact not a Guinness. How hammered was I! lol

Isn't the cocktail of Guiness and the shot called a Dr Pepper? It deffo looked like Guiness to me :?

Archived