What tune did you learn to beatmatch with?

bigsteve

After seeing Aza put Tillman Uhrmacher's 'On the Run' in his latest mix, it brought back memories of me using 2 copies of it to learn to beatmatch. In hindsight it wasn't perhaps the best tune to use, but I've come a long way since then...

So what tune did everyone else use when they were starting out?

The Pet Shop Boys - It's Alright and One More Chance. In fact a lot of their early stuff. 1989 stylee baby! :wink:

As an afterthought, why would you use 2 copies of the same track? Surely you couldn't hear which one to adjust? That's just my opinion though, I guess it's just something I never thought of. :?

I don't think I had two tunes exactly.

I used to make recordings of my self and pick up where I went wrong.

Some tunes I recall starting out with include;

Picotto - Pulsar (the picotto verdi remix :))

Svenson and Gielens remix of Lethal Industy

Tilmann Uhrmacher (steve ;))

Frank Trax - Nebuchane

Hi Gate - You & Me

Steve Murano remix of VPL, which I would still play today :D

All to name but a few and rightly so Ste - think we all come a long way since then! I remember the hours of frustration - I used to plug in about 2 hours a day back then :P

Motorcycle ' As the Rush Comes'

& Kyau vs Albert 'Velvet Morning'

Not good choices but ahd spent all my money on the decks and needed some cheap vinyl, so raided those from HMV

I can't actually remember what tunes I used, I used to have a BBE double pack with Flash(?) on which I used to use.

Never used two of the same tunes to beat match, just out of interest why did u use them?

I think some of my earliest tunes were William Orbit - Adagio for Strings, Rank 1 - Airwave etc.

1999 era...

I used two different tunes, and if i'm honest two tunes that really don't go together well, i remember gettin my first spot on mix pulled off, it was superb.

I think once it begins to click your half way there mixing wise, next its just developing the consistency that is hugely important.

First slab of plastic I bought was Alex De hasse mixes of Alex Gold's LA Today, and cheapy David Forbes - 'Questions'. Never learn to mix with David Forbes. Intro is a nightmare!

I had about 10 singles when I finally got the decks tho, so had a selection to try out.

I'd been beat matching with CDs in a basic Homemix jobby before, so the principles were there, just no torque from Numark Decks....

I bought the 'How to DJ (Properly)' book and in there it suggested that if you get hold of 2 copies of the same tune, ensure the red dots are stable on both turntables, so that you know they are playing at the correct speed. The hard part of getting the speeds matched is done for you, so you don't have to learn that bit at this stage, and you can concentrate on learning how to cue up.

Once thats been mastered, its a lot easier to learn how to do it with 2 different tunes. That book was the best purchase I ever made and I still refer to it, now that I have got my cdj

Ah yeah I've seen that book in the shops, Bill Brewster and his mate I think, excellent book.

I understand now if you have the strobe lined up that it's easy to learn to mix, because clearly two copies of the same tune are (should!) be pressed that the same BPM.

Whilst we're on BPM, what's the point of BPM counters on mixers, are they useful? I always avoid them (I'm buying a new mixer soon I think) but not sure really if they're that useful?

yeah i got that book a while ago - got it for free with sum vouchers i got from uni for payingm y tuition fees in one block - got if from the waterstones in uni, freeee!!

oh quadders mate, bpm counters on mixers are s***, only decnet ones are on cdj's, but still only get you in the right sort of area, can;t mix solely using them!

I was hardcore and stayed home for a solid week learning how to mix by teaching myself, didn't have any outside advice. Thinkin bout it i could probably have saved a bit of time by reading up on how to do it properly.

Having never used a bpm counter i wouldn't know how useful they are but to be honest getting the beats correct is only half the job, finding the correct progression thru a set is what takes a bit of cracking and then of course nailing the correct transition points.

Bought that book when it first came out good for refernce n stuff.

BPM counters are god for starting a set at cartain speed I spose, once on cdj's aremore accurate I think even then just for cuing up firstly at a certain speed they only good for mainly.

If i'm doing a Cd, i like to start at about 136 with chilled stuff then build. By the time I finish the tempo's been increased to around 140!

On my show it's deceptive to me how fast I sometimes play, pitch stuff up quite a bit sometimes. I guess average speed is 140-141.

My show goes from 132 - 142. I'm very particular and fussy about never going below 132.

I don't see the point in mixing two of the same tune. Other than for cueing...

Mixer beat counters are awful, but CDJ ones are useful as a rough guide, then it's down to the hopefully-well-trained ear to make the fine adjustments...!

Trance I stay around 136 even wakcing porg n breaks n that up to 136, house depends, usually around mid 120's 125ish as theres always fast paced house and slower stuff so playing mid 120's helps keep each type sounding good rather than hdieously slowed down or sped up.

Archived