Judge Jules Planet love, easter monday review!

Well it’s a bit late now getting this up. But had my pc away and it had the picks on it. Any how caught judge last Monday at planet love, at the king’s hall, Belfast.

Got there as the Tidy boys were ending, didn’t know any of the tunes apart from Azure - sunset, on which they ended on next on, was MIKE - PUSH. He played a few numbers at the start of his set that I knew like "the drill - the drill". While he was on a got a few over priced beers down my neck and made my way up to the front!

Was there for about 20 min, not knowing any choons then Jules popped on. Seems to have lost a bit of weight compare to the last time I saw him! Mike ended his record. Then some MC blabbed on about some s*** then Jules started his first choon. Which I dint know. But sounded banging any way. Next on he dropped tran4. At this stage I worked out that the sound system as very poor, and way to base'y. he went on to played advanced, dark side of the moon, keep me running remix, 'Babylon 06', 'Red Blue Purple' and a load more that vie heard but cant id. Was a banging night.

There were 2 dancers on the stage, in front of the dj/set up. Saw Jules asking them to get out of his view of the crowd. Where as every other dj was constantly looking at the mixer. He really got the crowd going. I spoke to a load of ppl that hate him, and they said he was the best dj of the night, this coming from yoji and Eddie fans. Jules proceeded to get on the mic at the end and thank us all, ect ect.

Few picks and vids on my site at http://djglennk.com/plm_pics.htm

Ferry corsten was on next. Who bored the balls of me. Tried to get in to it but was way to slow and trancy. Only like one choon PUNK.

Eddie was on next, his start was amazing, as usual, then he starting ripping the arse out of the effects. Jumping up and down for no real apparent reason. The crowd wasn’t going for it at this stage. Think he is more suited for smaller clubs.

But in all was a good night, bar my camera flying across the floor and the battery loosing half its life!

Fantastic report mate! Sounds really good, Jules has always liked to be in genuine touch with the dancefloor despite what many people say! :)

Next on he dropped tran4. At this stage I worked out that the sound system as very poor, and way to base'y.

I have noticed a few clubs are guilty of too much bass. It's an essential component by all means, absolutely vital, but certainly not at the expense of all the other frequencies in a record's range... too much top-end results in hearing damage but too much bottom-end sometimes results in monotonous beats because nothing else can be heard :(

I think big events are always a little off sound quality wise, Gods has the best sound system i've ever heard, very loud and very bassy, the sort that shakes the floor but is in no way distorted. The Hi & Mid frequency sounds all come through very clearly and its probably the best place i've been for hearing vocals. Crystal Clear.

Crowd interaction and see whats going on as opposed to eyes glued to mixer hmmm!

I thin eddies is kinda overkill with effects and thats all I see him as mr effects, I se Zabiela as the samea really he'd scratch teh f*** and use effcts for the hell of it instead of it actually makinge things better or emphasising.

I hate the ;I can do this and fluant it to take teh piss' kinda thing.

I'm probably compleetly wrong but give mea set with no effcts ye olde style any day

:lol:

Think it depends on the DJ and the style of tunage. Zabiella & Eddie both have styles that lend themselves to effects editing and general trickey whereas someone like say Armin has a much more basic style play big tunes and mix nicely between them while grinning throughout :lol:

I think DJs that do interact more with the crowd do build a good atmopshere, but PvD is very shy behind the decks and can create a better atmoshpere than alsmost anyone.

Great report and photos. Julesy looks a bit lonely up there on the stage. :lol: Pity the videos aren't working.

Jules mentioned in last week's diary report that he had lost almost two and a half stone in weight since Christmas.

Ahh well! Yeah i think the budget for this event was manily spent on the djs. advertisment and what not was poor, the set up was basic. Godskitchen have has teh best sound system ive heard. when i went to One big weekend it was basey at that aslo!

Archived