BBC cock up (Video now enclosed!)

Wakey

I bought the Sunday Mirror today and saw this story in it....

basically the BBC interviewed the wrong bloke, instead of someone who was a technology expert, they interviewed a cabbie in reception waiting to pick up the technology guy. :lol: Read the article....

14 May 2006

EXPERT COMMENTATOR ON APPLE, I-PODS & COMPUTER COPYRIGHT? ER, NO I'M A CABBIE

BEEB BLUNDER

By Nick Owens

A COMPUTER expert has described his astonishment at seeing the BBC's 24-hour news channel interview a taxi driver in the mistaken belief it was him.

Guy Kewney arrived at BBC Television Centre in London expecting to be quizzed on the legal battle between the Beatles' Apple Corps and Apple Computer over the use of an apple symbol.

But as the white, bearded editor of Newswireless.net watched the news programme in reception while he waited for his guest slot, he was amazed to see a clean shaven black "Guy Kewney" appear on the screen.

Speaking with a French accent, the man appeared stumped when questioned about the complicated High Court case, but gamely carried on - offering his own opinion of what the case meant.

It is understood the mix-up happened when the cabbie was waiting in the reception area to collect his fare - the real Mr Kewney.

When a receptionist called out the name "Guy Kewney" the cabbie lifted his hand up and was given a pass, fitted with a microphone and ushered into the studio.

Not until BBC consumer affairs correspondent Karen Bowerman introduced him on the live show as an expert, did the cabbie realise there had been a mistake.

Moments later, as the questions began, the cabbie looked at the camera and told viewers: "I'm not at all sure what I am doing here."

Asked if he was surprised by the verdict, the driver said: "I am very surprised by this verdict to come on me. When I came here, I wasn't expecting that."

Writing on his web-blog, an astonished Mr Kewney said that the man on screen "seemed as baffled as I felt" when asked about the consequences of the lawsuit.

Mr Kewney wrote: "I had spent the weekend researching the lawsuit. But there were several surprising things about my interview, ignoring the fact I did not give it - judging by my performance, English wasn't my first language and I didn't seem to know much about Apple."

BBC bosses have apologised for the mix-up.

A spokeswoman said: "Unfortunately we did make a mistake and the wrong person was interviewed briefly on air before we cut to our reporter."

:lol:

EDIT - HERE IS THE VIDEO!! Bloody brilliant!! http://img.dailymail.co.uk/video/cabbie.wmv

:lol:

Im in stiches! Love it when he introduced yeah - about 4-7 seconds in... He gets all surprised and opens his mouth - was in bursting out with laughter!

Actually listening to it he does pull it off very good, shame nothing was in it for him £s wise - although he did appear on TV. His responses though don't really make any sense, but I dont think I coudl do that :S

If you watch the video again, listen to the woman after he tells her that they've got the wrong person and that it's a "big surprise" for him to even be in the studio - she goes "A big surprise? Yeah, yeah" - and then carries on with the interview! lol :D

• 3 months later...

Archived