cheap portable hard dive for recording sets

whos_this_guy

alrigth ppl. just wondering if any one knows of any CHEAP portable drives for recording from decks/mixer! some of the places i dj in have pc's that i can record to but i nver seem to get them!

i have orgainsed a gig this thursday and though i was getting a laptop to record to, but that aint happing! so i would liek to get it recorded for me site!

I'm not sure this is physically possible just using a hard drive straight from the mixer? You might be better off linking it to an MD player or a memory stick or something but I think the biggest problem would be adjusting the levels so you get a good recording. Jules sometimes uses portable MD players, just a bit fiddly though and an arse to get onto PC as you have to treat it like a tape.

well i have resorted to my MD player, that has a lif of its ow when it comes to recording! will have to keep an eye on it an make sure it records the whole way through.

then to get the recorded set on to pc you have to play it then record it, cant drop and drag! :?

not really worth - it is inevitable that the file recorded regardless of its device needs to be put onto a computer.

it is best to just record direct to your hardrive through software. I use nero wave editor, and despite me not editing tracks etc, the software allows you to do this if necessary. You can also use "cool edit", which christian is familiar with... :)

why dont companies integrate this funtionality in with the mixer?

We've had digital recording on mixers for years and years, all they would have to do is add a bit more capacity and the DJ could record sets directly without the need of a laptop or computer. You could then attach a laptop or computer at a later stage to grab the mix. Or even use a memory stick to do it. Once the mix is over you take the memory out and whack it into your comp.

It would work in a similar way to Sky Plus, CD/DVD recorders etc...

why dont companies integrate this funtionality in with the mixer?

We've had digital recording on mixers for years and years, all they would have to do is add a bit more capacity and the DJ could record sets directly without the need of a laptop or computer. You could then attach a laptop or computer at a later stage to grab the mix. Or even use a memory stick to do it. Once the mix is over you take the memory out and whack it into your comp.

It would work in a similar way to Sky Plus, CD/DVD recorders etc...

Decent suggestions actually would save a lot of bother. Can't help ya Glenn mate i just link direct to my PC but obviously this isn't a real option for you at the gig, MD player would be my only suggestion really as the Ikey seems to piss everyone about too much

Archived