Nottingham University Summer Party 2006

So yesterday (3rd June) was Notts University's Summer Party - not an all nighter like some unis, but more a festival atmosphere (there is a separate grade ball anyways). I was down there with other URN-ers all set for some backstage action - had a great day all in all, it's usually a bit patchy but the weather was scorching all day which also made for a v pleasant evening!

It is very much band orientated, and student cheese (Fearne Cotton was there looking a bit rough!) but I was more interested in the Firefly tent, which is a night ran by Jeet who's a legend, at Notts hotspot Stealth. Their line up was looking good with Layo and Bushwacka! and Plump DJs on a bit later. Also, an electro band called Motor were there - they were awesome, really driving stuff you could dance to easily. I'm going to check out their album I think!

I was the most logical person to interview Layo and Bushwacka but they weren't on til about six, and having been at the site since half 12 anyway with no decent dance music I was longing for some beats! They arrived late though which meant that I couldn't conduct the interview beforehand. It was well funny just watching them stroll up to the tent with their record bags, no VIP treatment needed, with most students none the wiser as to who they were anyway! Most people were waiting for them to arrive anyway so soon after they came on the tent got nicely packed to give them a good atmostphere - I think they were a bit worried that it would be a bit crap because they would only sign the consent form to use their set for radio use after they had finished! Their set was nice and deep, the sound system did the bass justice too. I'm not sure as to what they played to be honest, but there were definately some tunes in there that I would like to get my hands on. It was very "Pete Tong" electro in places - if you see what I mean. The guys were alternating behind the decks, and with my backstage pass I stood around the back of the Dj stage for a while to change mini-discs, but also took one or two pictures. They didn't come out so well though! Anyway, after their set, I cornered Layo and had a chat, he signed the consent form and we did a little interview, they were both friendly and happy for a quick chat, though I think they had to get to another gig. Trouble is, because our only mini-disc recorder was with other guys in anticipation of Dirty Pretty Things arriving, I was left with an MP3 recorder....which, as i've just heard is far too fuzzy and distorted to even use :( So i'm gutted I can't use their interview on the highlights show today. However, I will be popping into the "Summer Party After Party" on URN today between 3 and 6 to just generally speak about the Firefly tent and play a bit of their set, if there's time. If not i'll treat you to 15 mins or so on my show tomoz :)

But anyway, I guess i'm not too worried because although the Plump DJs did not allow us to record their set, they are cool with an interview - It was by a bit of a freaky coinsidence that I couldn't interview them at the end of their set, but they were leaving at the same time as us through the band exit - Jeet was trying to get a car to get them back to their hotel, so once we found this out, Philipa said she'd take them in her car - now this is a Renault 5 which doesn't lock properly and we had no idea where their hotel was- and the Plumps were big lads so it would have been so funny if they had had to squeeze into the back with their equipment if we had driven them ourselves, lol! In the end, managed to commandeer a taxi, but I was having a chat with the guys before they got in, they gave us some beers and even asked me to come back to their hotel to do aninterview there and get a bit pissed, but unfortunately I had to decline becuase I had to get equipment back! Andy didn't seem too happy with the set because the sound system had a bit of a meltdown halfway, so was a good job it wasn't recorded anyway. But, they were happy enough to do an interview tomorrow and gave me their number so am ringing them shortly from the studios! You can def hear that interview later or on my show if all goes to plan!

So there we go! will upload couple of pics later, they aren't amazingly interesting tho apart from the one of me and philipa with the Plumps!

Archived