American phrases contaminating British English...

Neuro

Ok following on from that previous thread, I've found the definition of "My bad" and Jacey B is right I think it just means "oh, my mistake".

But what about "and then some"? And then some what?? Someone said that to me today, I thought they were agreeing with me, I nodded and expected them to finish the sentence - but no, that's the phrase?! :?

I'm a stickler for things traditional and British - I won't go as far as supporting the BNP, but I'm up there with preserving our values, nationality and especially our language, which I take a great interest in. 8-)

I'm gonna try and not comment on this thread.

We spent nearly a month with predominately American holidaymakers/nationals during our trip last year. If I start making small comments, it'll lead to worse and I'll get banned, so I'll leave it at that :lol:

The best kind of Americans are the reserved ones that don't simply shout out whatever comes into their head, they can be cool, others are very annoying.

Watching South Park last night made me laugh a lot aswell the phrase 'you got served' was completely picked apart and thoroughly had the piss taken out of it, some Americans showing some subtlety and wit.

I must admit I am not a fan of the Yanks although I am sure some are cool as I have never been there or reall met any!

Any how, I must confess that up untill a couple of months ago I never knew what "My Bad" meant. We have a house mate, thats has spent the last few summers in the US on the summer camps, and I was introduced to that term through him.

'I'm a stickler for things traditional and British'

I am with you on this one Tim, although I did make the comment. :D

I hate the way the American Hip Hop, R&B, Rap culture has influence on the UK and its industry. As a youngster I used to be into Ice-T, Ice Cube, Biggy, Nas just to name a few. If it was not for the American influence I dont think there would be as much Gun crime, Hoddies and baggy 'panst' etc on the streets now days.

It seems that the likes of Eminem and Fiddy Cent, have made this life style accepterbale within our society, when in my opinion its not.

At 22 yrs old, should I do feel marginaly intemidated by youngsters in big crowds out side Mc Donalds, who are wearing their hats and hoods and look like their in attack mode on a boiling hot summers day?

Agree with ya there Higgzy, rap music (though not solely responsible) has played a part in the whol 'culture' becoming more & more apparent within our society. Personally all the it hink all of the mainstream hip hop is tosh anyway and very rarely produces anything of note.

Proper hip hop by artists like Common, The Roots & The Pharcyde does have some merit though.

I'm gonna go the bathroom - agree with the above but i like this phrase though as it avoids using words we have to use like "toilet" or "gents" - or "for a slash" :D

I'm gonna go the bathroom - agree with the above but i like this phrase though as it avoids using words we have to use like "toilet" or "gents" - or "for a slash" :D

I'm gonna go the restroom :wink:

I gotten the 'flu is also annoying :evil:

Man, he's really pissed!

They mean he's annoyed and angry; we think he's just wasted on beer.

This also explains why they don't understand our phrase, "he's really pissed OFF" - they get confused by that one.

I think they also don't use our favourite phrase very often either: "it's a load of bollocks" :lol:

Archived