RIP Richard Whiteley

bigsteve

Couldn't believe it this morning when I read it. An absolute legend that seems to have always been around.

RIP Countdown as well :? Surely they won't attempt to replace such a legend - no-one could ever follow in his footsteps. :cry:

He apparently refused to wear the same time tie more than twice on TV ever, which explains the bizarre patterns on them sometimes :o - he was great though, even though his humour didn't always humour me :D

Countdown was always a fav, remember picking out those 4 letter words when I was younger thinking they were the highest, then after the time was up seeing one of the contestants (who usually was still at school) declaring they'd got a 9. :)

He was 61 and had been ill for a few months. He never fully recovered from a heart operation a few days ago. (Sorry, Look North was full of it last night)

Remember seeing him at the 2 Countdown recordings I went to, and he was the same bloke before and after filming, as you see him on TV. Full of humour (although not everyone's cup of tea :wink: ) and very full of character. A very sad loss. And he never won an award for 23 years of Countdown - spot all the Special Awards that will come now. Sadly too late - he should have been recognised years ago.

Always the same posthumous awards always the same, ach so it is, totally wrong!

Another thing with the dishing out of knighthoods etc... Johnny wilksinson happens to kick a ball that did something spectacular, now what if it was someone else! whats the betting they would've been honoured instead!

Yet Eric Sykes a what seems to be long forgotten legend of comedy is in his f***ing 80's and only now is recognised by a bloodey obe for his services! it makes me sick.

I think we should campaign to get a Julesy an MBE/OBE

Not yet! I dunno how old he is though, must be 40 by now. He'll have to wait until after retirement I'm sure!!

I'd give him a medal (though not an MBE/OBE) purely based on the 1998-2001 experience he gave us. An amazing era never to be repeated again - think about it that's why most of us still search for those old "classics" (they're all from that period, aren't they?), and also whey people reminisce about it so much, (especially me, I know :D) but look at that new Gatecrasher Classics CD - look at when all the tunes from..........

I think we should campaign to get a Julesy an MBE/OBE

Not yet! I dunno how old he is though, must be 40 by now. He'll have to wait until after retirement I'm sure!!

Hasn't Oakie got an MBE or something :? And he's s***

Archived