Old Trafford Yesterday

Max Kane

Foo Fighters, Strokes, Subways, Eagles of Death Metal and regrettably Angels & Airwaves. Brilliant day 4 out of 5 bands were superb, only bad thing was the weather it roundly p*ssed it down most of the day but that didn't really matter.

Eagles of Death Metal kicked things off about 3.30, for anyone who doesn't know it's Josh Homme's side project (Josh being lead singer of Queens of the Stone Age), albeit with him drumming. They kicked things off really well, the lead singer worked the crowd superbly and some of the solos were superb, thoroughly enjoyable.

Subways were on next at about 4.30, they had loads of new material which was class as i've already seen the previous show about 4 times now. The new song 'California' sounded the pick, but all sounded quality, and Charlotte looked fitter than ever :shock:

Angels & Airwaves don't deserve a proper review as they were so poor, Delonge talkin about 'No war man' and lets change the world began to really get to me so went for a beer. When dave Grohl later thanked all the bands and asked the crowd to show some appreciation everyone cheered for Eagles, Subways & Strokes but Angels & Airwaves got a chorus of booing, which kinda sums it up.

The Strokes didn't dissapoint, tight set and as always note perfect Casablancas was on good form, though slightly subdued and they went down very well. best songs for me were 'Reptillia', 'New York City Cops' & 'The End has Now End' but the whole set was brilliant.

Foo Fighters came on about 9 and were awesome from the start Grohl was on top form and produced some quality comedy during his little stand-up routine he seems to adopt during every gig. The rain held off for most of their set aswell whichw as a bonus. They are gradually establishing themselves as my favourite live band and musically are flawless. Taylor's song went down well and was an added bonus of the encore, other top songs were 'In Your Honour', 'Learn To Fly', 'My Hero', 'Breakout', 'One By One', 'Times Like These', but the whole set was incredible.

The evening finished with a huge fireworks display and a 6hr trip to get home, superb day out

Archived