Top of the Pops ending

bigsteve

Doesn't surprise me to be honest, i think way too many people are looking at it sentimentally aswell, maybe if i was older i'd care a bit more, but if we're all honest the ease of the net and of 24hr music channels has made TOTP redundant.

Top Of The Pops went downhill years ago when, instead of showcasing the highest climbers, biggest tunes, etc (which was what the show was traditionally about), they opted for the "younger audience puller" approach and decided to play more RnB, Garage, cheesy dance, etc. The show lost all credibility then with its loyal viewers, and older listeners - so they left the show behind and went elsewhere.

The show also replaced "serious" presenters such as Jimmy Saville (Who i'm convinced must be Tim Westwoods dad - how many other 70 year old chavs do you see?), Bruno Brooks, etc with young and personalityless presenters who didn't really offer the show anything other than a pretty face for teens to look at.

I always thought TOTP was the laughing stock of British music from the mid 1990s onwards really - when I was a wee lad I'd actually be embarrassed watching it with my parents, them going:

"isn't this dreadful? It never used to be like this in my time, there was good music back then... do you like this sort of music?" :oops:

Come to think of it, I could say those same words to my children listening to Jules in 5 year's time. :lol:

Archived