Trance Awards 2006

bigsteve

To be honest, the sound system was so loud and unclear, it was hard to make out what Jules was saying - they chose to have background music playing in the background while he was talking.

I know that Vandit won an award (best label perhaps - or maybe the slowest label for releasing tunes), and Sander Van Doorn won best newcomer. Armin won best radio presenter, and Global Gathering won best outdoor event. Other than that, I have no idea.

The whole thing was a bit of a joke really - the crowd weren't in the slightest bit interested, and the awards lasted no more than 10 minutes - it was far from the MTV awards. The only person that collected his award personally was Sander Van Doorn (because he was on the line-up). The rest all sent their joey's out to pick up their awards.

It doesn't sound too good from that :lol: I suppose peole don't want a long drawn out ceremony, but they could do it a bit earlier in the evening while people are warming themselves up I suppose.

And maybe have screens with the winning names on or something for those that are interested.

And don't get me started on winners not collecting awards. I find it strange how Armin got best presenter, everytime I've listened he hardly says a thing, maybe thats a good thing :lol:

Hmm yeah the awards side of it doesn't sound that good then.

What was the rest of the night like briggsy? the line up looked very good, I wanted to go but it was a bit too far in the end having spent the day in Exeter.

The rest of the night was supurb to be honest.

Mark Eteson was top notch, and if I'm honest, i'd say he's a lot better than Jon O' Bir. Jules was also really good - his mixing was spot on, and his tunes were decent. The only bad comment i'd say is that he's playing far too many tunes that he's been playing for months - Vrantique, Keep Me Running plus a few others. he did play Tran 4 for me though when I asked him :D It wa snice to see him ask Mark Eteson if he had any objections to him playing "Cherry Whip" though (which was actually the tune that got everyone going the most during Jules's set).

Marcel Woods was the highlight of the night - an amazing DJ, amazing tunes, a very "energetic" mixing style - similar to Jules's when he was at his peak in the late 90's - and his enthusiasm can't be faulted. He dances along to the tunes, sings along to the vocals, etc - one of the very few "personality" DJ's around now.

Sander Van Doorn was very disappointing - his set was rather bland and didn't really progress during the two hours was on - it stayed at the same level throughout the set. I'm afraid I find his style of Electro-Trance and Tech-Trance rather dull too.

I didn't hang around for Gareth Emery - I heard about 15 minutes of his set, and that was enough for me then.

Overall, a top line-up and a great night out. If Gods replaced SVD with Eddie Halliwell the next time, and keep the rest of the line-up as it was Saturday, they'd be onto a winner!!

It was nice to see Mark Eteson and Judge Jules getting on well too - By the looks of things, Mark Eteson must be a Jules fan, because Mark stayed all through Jules's set, chatted to him regularly throughout his set, and was dancing around in the booth cheering on the crowd while Jules was playing. At one point, he went down onto the dance floor for a couple of minutes to dance with a few mates too, before coming back into the booth. Once Jules finished, Mark Eteson left.

When Jules is your favourite DJ, and you admit that he was one of the weaker DJ's on the night, then you know that you've had a good night out and the other DJ's were supurb.

Best DJ: Armin van Buuren

Best Radio Show: A State Of Trance

Best Album: A State Of Trance 2006

Best Resident: Armin van Buuren, Armada @ Amnesia Ibiza

Best Video: Armin Van Buuren

Best Track: Above & Beyond vs. Andy Moor - Air For LIfe

Best Producer: Paul van Dyk << What exactly has he produced over the last year?

Best New Producer: Sander van Doorn

Best Remixer: Tiësto <<<< He's not remixed much over the last year either! His head is too big to fit in the studio!

Best Label: Vandit <<<< Should have also won the slowest label for releasing stuff!

Best Live Act: NU NRG

Mixmag Future Hero: Andy Moor <<< Been around for donkey years

Best Club: Cream @ Amnesia Ibiza

Best One Off Event: Godskitchen Global Gathering

Best Website: Trance.nu

Best radio competition question: "In which city is Turnmills in?" - BBC Radio 1

Best guest DJ: Judge Jules on the Cut Up Boy's Radio 1 show - Saturday 7pm til 9pm

OK, OK, so I made the last two up :P

Why they bothed with this trance awards crap is beyond me, no1 in the club gives a damn anyway and they just wanna enjoy the tunes, sod the awards.

As for the awards themselves i think they are just tripe, some of the categories are ridiculous and Andy Moor being labelled a future hero is laughable, obviously no1 bothered to check out the fact that he has been producing for Baroque for a good 5 years or more.

SvD's set has been slated by everyone i've spoken to which is a real surprise whenever i've seen him he has been superb.

Eteson is definately a rising star, Gods seem to have unofficially replaced JoB with him as their go to ressie and his sets have been pretty cool whenever he has been on, i.m.o Jon is still the best resident DJ i've ever seen on a consistent basis, warming up for PvD one week and then Sasha the next with unrecognisable sets shows what a talent he is.

GTR is someone i rate as a producer but his sets have never really done it for me at Gods and i dnt blame ya for leaving early mate, sounds like a wicked night and good to hear Marcel was getting right into the swing of things.

As regards Mark dancing around and staying in the booth i have to say that he does that every time (certainly whenever i've seen him) and always hangs around for ages afterwards.

Archived