Pleasant Surprises

Max Kane

Right then....

Have you ever been to a gig or club night which you attended primarily for the headliner but have discovered a hidden gem in the support act or DJ on with them?

If so list them & discuss...

Examples from personal experience...

Gods 2004 PvD was headlining but it was the first time i had seen a young unknown ressie by the name of Jon O'Bir if anything he stole the show and played an absolute blinder.

Another gods night i went to was for Armin & Remy but having had a few too many i stumbled into the Nitrogen room trying to find my mates, playing was Mike Smith, not sure if any of you know him but he plays techno and was superb, he hammered out Tomaz vs Filterheadz 'Sunshine' & Bryan Zentz 'D-Clash' in the space of 30 mind blowing minutes

Gig wise, i was pleasantly surprised to see The Kooks support the Subways back in November 05 just before they made it big, they were class and i have since managed to catch then headlining.

Eagles of Death Metal also proved a quality support act at the recent Foos/Strokes gig and i recommend any rock n roll fans to check them out.

!ForwardRussia! were also a class support band for We Are Scientists & no doubt Dirty Pretty Things will put on a great show supporting RHCP on sunday at Coventry

Last week if i'm honest. I went to Gods to see Jules, and ended up talking about Marcel Woods non-stop for three days afterwards instead.

I knew he was decent, but I didn't realise he was that good - absolutely storming DJ and very under-rated.

Archived