Jules's edited tracks.......

Briggsy

What are your opinions on tracks once Jules has edited them?

I've heard some of his edits and thought that he's made them better because he's cut the pointless crap out of them, however, there are a few that slip through that are shocking.

His edits of Simon Patterson's - F16, and Mark Norman's - Brasillia are awful!

What are your thoughts on Jules's edits?

"Leaving London" has been edited in a really obvious way, and the edit point at the start of the 2nd breakdown is dodgy to say the least.

Several of Jules' edits are bad. His edits of Fabio Stein's "Tran 4" and of Fabio's remix of my "Obstruction" track are really poorly done. I know people say "he hasn't got much time", but personally I wouldn't put my name to stuff like that. If my edits aren't 100% unnoticeable then I don't bother editing the track. It's been said that I should offer my editing services to Jules, but I think he might think I was taking the piss.

I've not noticed anything suspect on "Tran 4" to be honest - but certainly more and more tunes seem to be slipping through now where the edits are poorly done.

I don't anything could possibly beat "F16" though - thats a shocking edit that I wouldn't dare play out anywhere :shock:

I appreciate the reasons for Jules' editing of tunes as he likes to really cram the records into his set adn in some ways that's very comendable as you get to hear a lot of tunes, but (and i suppose being into progressive stuff i'm a little biased) i think that a tune carries far more weight when it's been building and bubbling away for 5 mins or so then has the big epic breakdown or the vocal comes in.

If you think of a track like Bedrock 'Heaven Scent', it's 10mins 30 sec long and has the trademark big trance riff in for about 2 mins max yet it's mind-blowing as the riff is highlighted and backed up by the huge production and beats.

I have mixed feelings really. I thought Jules did the right think with that remix of Moogwai - Viola he was playing last year. The breakdown went on for far too long, and Jules cut out the unnecessary bit. That was a job well done on that track.

He has completely killed "Brasillia" though! He's taken the energy out of the build up by making it shorter, and now the breakdown kicks in far too early too. As for "F16" - well, he's taken all of the good elements out of the tune completely.

I can understand why he edits most tunes, but on the odd occasion, some are left in their original state - and those two tracks are fine examples.

True - there's been that much cut out, that F1.6 would have been more appropriate.......

In Jules's defence though, there are two versions of that track on the vinyl release - one with the F16 sound, and one without the F16 sound. I'm not sure if Jules was originally sent the version with the F16 sound, or the version without.

Still a shoddy edit though :shock:

I must agree F.16 is one of the worst edits ive heard. I think sometimes his edits work well but he just edits too much out of the tunes.

I personally edit around half the tunes I play but only if there are boring or unnessessary parts to a track in my opinion. But if a track can justify itself being 8/9 mins long then I will leave it alone.

But if a track can justify itself being 8/9 mins long then I will leave it alone.

I really agree with this. Letting a track play is brilliant, you hear better its structure. I remember Ferry starting off his mixes with a track and he wouldnt touch it until about 7 or 8 minutes, rejecting mixing out of it at the first moment and just letting it go... :)

The reason Jules edits things is because (in my opinion) dancefloors these days have too short an attention span. Whatever happened to the never-ending good ol house grooves!! I never wanted it to stop!

Archived