MP3 Organisation on your hard drive?

Aza

lol, well ive got all my old mp3 off my old pc on cdr's just in alphabetical.

But now as i 'download' new stuff i have sorted it into genres and then folders by months.

nice stuff christian, don't wanna do a 'tim'!!

i download from limewire mate, got the pro version off a mate :wink:

its good fro trance, got stuff like jowan, purple have and the new above & beyond tunes off there

As you might probably have guessed, I obsessively label absolutely everything I have and store them in just one folder - genres is too tricky because there's a lot of crossover and I don't like to assign those names to the tunes too often unless theyre undisputed classics! An Artist name for me just triggers all the tracks in my mind so I know what I'm looking for :)

iTunes is fantastic in organizing your music collection - go and download it now, you don't need an iPod, and it's much nicer to use than say, windows media player... Basically is a nice archive for you so you can view all your music in a kinda catalogue-style format; all it does is show the names of your tunes and refers them to the real file wherever it's stored on your PC. It can also convert formats, but I avoid all their apple AAC stuff and just save stuff as very high quality mp3 files instead for some kind of consistency.

I can find everything I need there, just need to remember to back it up on a DVD every so often (thanks Bjorn! :D).

yeh i have itunes but aint got round to using it.

My mate got it and that triggered me to get it cos its well tidy and well laid out!

I have a need to make sure everything is neat, tidy and organised. Being organised as they say means being in control!

Go and download iTunes, it's free - just make sure once you've got it the first thing you do is sort the "import" preferences to at least 192kbps MP3 because otherwise by default everything you load into it it will try and covert to some apple format (AAC, ALE or whatever), at 128kbps which is not useful if you want quality recordings and flexibility with your tunes at a later date! 8)

Also don't bother importing CDs into iTunes unless theyre correctly labelled to start with (say with CDDB), because otherwise it'll put them all in a folder "Unknown Artist > Unknown > Track 01" etc and whilst iTunes will link them ok, if you're searching for it manually on your hard drive then names like "Track 01" etc aren't very helpful! :wink:

I tried playing my music in I Tunes and it kept making this weird noise and the file was playing really slow.....???

I still have winamp installed - could that be the prob?

Does itunes import cddb info from cd's etc?

Does itunes import cddb info from cd's etc?

Think it does yeah, though sometimes there are some typos...

Dunno about the other problem, at the end of the day it's just a music player with hyperlinks to all your music! Do the tracks play ok if you find them manually on your hard drive and open them normally? And so is it just when iTunes tries to plem em they're sounding screwed?

Archived