Lab 4

BK

Jon Askew

Subgiant

Marc Vedo

Graham Gold

Dav Gomrass

Anyone else going? I am.

I cant find it on their website but I heard its the last event to be held at the 'Opera House'

Looking at their forthcoming listings this would make sense as they dont appear to show any further events @ Opera House.

They are on the road at various other venues though.

Bit of an odd line-up for one room but definitely worth a look!

Its a shame they're giving the venue up although I dont know the In's and out's so there may be something to it.

Anyone who's ever been to the Opera House will agree when I say its one of the best venues around. It just feels so right inside. Its a pitty its always run with the Drum & Bass backroom as if it had a funky room it would have excelled.

I've had some awsome nights here.

Enjoy the last ever party there mate! I couldn't believe it when I read the news on the Slinky forum, I've had many an amazing evening there and was where I broke my clubbing cherry back in 99 with a certain Mr Pete Tong playing - Lucid 'Crazy' still brings back memories of that night...and hearing Jules drop Pitching just before it hit the charts, with me in proper cyber-wear holding a homemade 'Pitchin' card with 'Jules Roolz' on the other side, hehehe - should i be :oops: ahh well!!

Someone on the board also listed every line-up ever, back in 99-01 Jules was a monthly fixture without fail, remember how much he used to rate the place as the best club on the south coast....

Drop us a write up when you get back, have missed the place since I moved back to Brighton!

The official Stance on it all is that Slinky will no longer hold club events at the Opera House. The Opera House will turn into a Live Band and performance Venue. The whereabouts of where Slinky will be going is unconfirmed at the moment but the rumour mill is certainly on overdrive. I await with big interest and more news as to the whys wheres and results wil appear shortly.......

Si

• 2 weeks later...

At your request:

I was definitely glad I went to this. The lineup was a good mix representing Slinky's music policy over its time at the opera house so couldnt be missed.

Supprisingly on arrival we saw some bird being chucked out for fighting. This is something I've never experienced at the Opera House so was a bit un-nerving.

Graham Gold & Dav Gomrass were pretty good. They were playing 1st so were playing the usuall warm-up stuff with the odd classic thrown in for good measures.

Subgiant (???) were on next. Now if anyone could shed some light on this I'd be most grateful as I have never even heard of these lot? They were a live act playing a breaks set!!! It went down a treat (Sarcastically). It was funny though watching all the Chav's trying to dance to it. We just left the dancefloor and stood watching (Cant dance to that sort of stuff and dont really like breaks).

Marco V was supposed to follow but was delayed so Adam Sheridan jumped the cue. Played a decent set.

I think the residents had to fill in a few tracks between as the Dutch Midget was late still.

Marco V was the highlight of the guests for me. Played Sander rmx of 'Sun Goes Down', Loops n Tings et al. Quality set.

BK was also very good and having been a follower of the early hardhouse scene it was a pleasure to hear Cortina 'Music is moving' Signum 'What Ya Got 4 Me?' and BK ' Revolution'

Lab 4 were a bit mental as you'd expect but folowing on from BK I didnt complain.

The final set by Tim Lyall and Garry White was an absolute stomper.

Ayla 'Ayla', Picotto 'Lizard' and so on.... Basically a classic set.

Having stopped the last track they fired it back up again with Taiko 'Uno, Dos, Tres, Quatro' which admittedly isnt a track you'd first think of to finish a set but has always been a favorite of mine and went down a treat!

Delerium 'Silence' finished the night under the rather bright floodlights :shock: .

The number of shirtless, sweaty chavs there was a bit shi*t though. It never used to be like that there (oh, the good ol' days! :wink: ). I was struggling to stop them stumbling into me all the time. One bloke at the end was trying to fire-up a protest and kept chanting "Sit down so they cant make us leave". Needless to say nobody wanted to sit on the grimey, fag/beer/pill covered floor :?

All in all a top night with a special feel to it and felt like the end of an era and kinda sad at the end :cry: .

Slinky is returning however not to the Opera House. I can now reveal it will be returning to Elements nightclub in Bournemouth on 17th Nvember with Tidy Boys headlining the first one.

Personally having been to Elements i fell this is a big mistake by Slinky as i feel the venue wont be anywhere near as good as the Opera House and will attract a lot of 'Not so music minded' people to the event. time will tell. It is a shame they didnt hold out for somewhere better in my opinion, not just because i want to start up my own night, but for the good of the music scene in Bournemouth itself, oh well we shall wait and see. Your opinions welcome on this move..........

With no disrespect to Bournemouth though, its not the clubbing mecca of England, so the choice of half-decent venues available to Slinky there is probably minimal. They might want to keep it in Bournemouth, in which case, they'll have limited options. if they want to take it elsewhere, they'll have more options but more competition.

Bristol has been strongly rumoured, but with "The Syndicate" just opening there with other well-known DJ's, Slinky could struggle. Moving east would see them nearer to Brighton, who have The Honey Club - so that could also pose a threat.

Maybe they should go down the GoodGreef route and not have an official home - instead, moving to different towns down south on a bi-weekly basis so that they cover a wider area. At least then, should another venue go tits up, they're not in the same situation as they are now.

Your last point i would agree with, however the choice of venues point i disagree with, The Old firestation has a 1200 capacity and a great mainroom esp after there revamp, id have to have put that as first choice as its also away from the so-called party venues, also The Venue in Poole is close to completion on its refurb and would have been an excellent choice as well. The Prob with Elements is its a chain run club (run by luminar leisure who also own jumping jacks) think that says it all. Bournemouth has a lot to offer but dosent live up to the potential it has.

Yeah you have a point. I dont want to sound snobby or single-minded but its inevitable it will attract loads more 'not so music minded people' :wink: . The attraction of drink offers etc from the chain-type venues will be an instant grab on these people.

The audio in there is bound to be crap and it'll probably be setup with some some cheapo light system from HTFR :wink: .

I think your view on it being something of a nomad and moving from venue to venue would be better as slinky is a well establised name and would always fill a club if they had good DJ's on the bill (which they always do anyway).

Personally I wouldnt want to go much if it ended up being at elements.

Archived