Singles Chart Changes

bigsteve

From today, any music bought and downloaded off tinernet counts as a purchase towards the Top75 Singles Chart. (Previously it had to be available as a CD Single too)

This could mean we get old 50s, 60s, etc tunes reappearing in the charts! It could also see much more marketing and control of downloads so there is a synchronised release for maximum chart impact.

Interesting development, thats well overdue imo. The music industry appears to have finally realised that downloading music is of benefit to them.

Oh, I thought you were gonna say they were thinking of putting some decent music in the charts then :(

This could make the chart interesting though. We could see people like Cliff Richard, Bjork, Doop, Aqua and Chas & Dave hitting the dizzy heights of the charts again :shock:

This sounds interesting and a good idea I think. Over the last few years the chart has gone downhill, this is shown in the format of the Radio 1 chart show which has changed.

Do people still care about the singles chart? Good move!

To be honest, the charts have been poor for a while now. The quality of music doesn't represent its true chart position - its all about the power people have now.

For example, Robbie Williams produced one of the worst tunes of the year in "Rudebox", yet just because its him, he gets to number 1. They can afford to advertise him to the max because they'll always get their money back. If one single flops, the next release will sell well and make up for the money they lost. They can't do that with some unknown person that could be the next thing since sliced bread - so that person may never make the break - even if their single is the muts nuts.

Tunes that appear on TV commercials always seem to do well to because of the exposure. And don't get me started on reality TV winners. They release two tunes, get to number 1 with both and then vanish forever. If they're really good enough to get two number 1's, then why have they vanished?

Over the years, i've found some of the better songs lurk at the lower end of the charts - around 25-40. The top 10 is just full of people with power or backed by record labels with stacks of money. Their talent rarely comes into it.

And don't get me started on reality TV winners. They release two tunes, get to number 1 with both and then vanish forever. If they're really good enough to get two number 1's, then why have they vanished?

But I quite like that. Dance music used to be the same - an artist would have maybe just 1 hit and then disappear. Variety :)

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that Chris Moyles was pushing for this to be number 1. Sad really - it just goes to show what musical power radio 1 has. I thought this was going to be good for the charts (more representative, etc), but clearly any publicity is going to effect it heavily now.

I agree that it seems a bit stupid that Billie got to Number 17 solely on the back of the very tongue in cheek Moyles campaign.

That said he got Mysterious Girl to Number 1 aswell when it was re-released, seems that his core listeners will do anythin to try & be in on the joke :roll:

Archived