Sander van Doorn Judgement Sundays Resident

Max Kane

Reading Jules' diary report he states that SvD will indeed be the new JS resident, great news imo. Hopefully be able to get over there to see him play, i know that of late SvD has divided opinion in terms of people either loving or hating him, personally i think as far as harder sets go he's one of the best I've seen over the past couple of years & should work as a perfect foil for Jules

I've seen Sander once and was very disappointed - he cleared the floor at Godskitchen and never really got out of second gear HOWEVER, i'm hoping to give him a second chance this year because he's being hyped up to the max so he must be doing something right. I can only put that night down to an "off-night" he had.

Personally though, I think Jules should be the only resident - with more DJ's being chosen to guest DJ's throughout the season - particularly more up and coming DJ's that could do with the extra exposure - DJ's like Jon O' Bir, Mark Eteson and Barry Connell. Sander van Doorn has made his name now and has hit a high enough position in the DJ mag polls to gain bookings with very little effort. Jules should help some of the up and comers instead by helping them get their name about more.

Everyone says how good the Dutch Trance DJ's are, but in Jon O' Bir, Mark Eteson, Barry Connell & Tylor-Leigh, i'd say the future is looking bright for the UK - so we need to give them as much support as possible :D

There's only one resident for Judgement Sundays - and thats Mr Jules :D

I should be made resident, I'd bring a little proggy goodness to the marauding bosh monkeys :wink: :lol:

On a serious note though I can see what you mean mate, Jules is already resident yes, but there is plenty of opportunity to get more DJs in, Jules never plays long sets & with Sander presumably in place to finish the night off while Jules plays the funky room it should work out ok

The one problem I'd highlight is the 'roster' of DJs that play JS seems to be pretty similar every year with Eddie, Lashes & Trophy Twins spinning a lot there, I think that Jules would have more success by booking some other UK DJs and the ones you mentioned would certainly be high on my list if i was over there.

I understand that a lot of DJs have the tie in to other nights but it'd be nice to see a little variety

I completely agree Tom. Unfortunately though, its all gonna come down to money again - like most things in the industry these days. Jules always goes for "flavour of the month" DJ's - such as Marcel Woods earlier in the season just after he'd brought out a string of releases. Sander van Doorn was also hyped up this year, so he's brought him in. Randy Katana and Marco V have also had a successful last 18 months, so Jules brought both of those in too. Eddie's reputation speaks for itself really. The weakest link is probably Lisa Lashes. I dunno how she gets there - her style of music doesn't fit in with the Judgement Sundays style either. I can only imagine she has a couple of other hidden talents that pull punters in - I can't imagine what those could be :shock:

The likes of Connell, Eteson, O' Bir, etc might all be very good DJ's, but they're not very "fashionable", and unlikely to pull in a great deal of punters - so Jules will probably always opt for the names that people know from reading DJ Mag, Radio 1 and from productions.

I don't think i'd pay for any of the line-ups at Judgement Sundays to be honest. £40 for a line-up of DJ's that play regularly in the UK anyway seems a bit steep. I'd rather pay a few Euro's more to see DJ's that don't play often in this country such as Tiesto, Pvd & Oakey.

I agree with your points Briggsy, In regards to the Dj's its like with Armin ive seen him a fair few times over the years, and probably only two of his sets i have seen i thought were any good. The rest were very average with tunes that didn't really go anywhere and in general the mixing was poor.

But its all about personal choice i suppose with people to what they think of various dj's.

In regards to the JS line up's if your running a business you would op for whats gonna give you the best return i.e what dj's will pull in the most punters (more money), so your right.

I do rate the likes of Barry Connell and Tylor Leigh from what i have seen and think they would be more suited to JS than Lisa Lashes!!

its like with Armin ive seen him a fair few times over the years, and probably only two of his sets i have seen i thought were any good. The rest were very average with tunes that didn't really go anywhere and in general the mixing was poor.

I'm a little surprised that you don't rate Armin's mixing, I can see how some people wouldn't be into his style but having seen Armin upwards of about 15 times I've never heard him spin a set that wasn't mixed well, personally I'd rate him level with Sasha, Zabiela & Eddie as the finest mixers i've ever seen

I'd have to agree. Although Armin isn't my cup of tea musically, I rate him very highly (the best of all the Trance DJ's actually), because he's the best mixer and best set builder of the bunch.

Silky smooth mixing, and every tune compliments the previous tune 100%.

I'm off to Ibiza in September and will definately be going to see Jules at JS and will also look forward to seeing some other DJs as well. Can't wait.

:shock: see ya there chrissie!

I'm off to Ibiza in September and will definately be going to see Jules at JS and will also look forward to seeing some other DJs as well. Can't wait.

:shock: see ya there chrissie!

:lol::lol: When are going - what date :?:

oh we aint booked it or owt, ought to look into it really! Prob whenever the R1 week is..

:( won't see you then as R1 is in August (dates to be announced shortly)and l'm going sometime in Sept, probably for the closing parties. I've already booked 2 weeks off work in middle of Sept. I'm going with a crowd of blokes so it should be fun. They go every year for about 5 days but l will be going for longer than that as l want to explore the whole Island.

Archived