Annoying tunes to mix with.....

Briggsy

Tim's had a gripe about MP3 sound quality, so I thought i'd have a gripe about something which irritates me too.

I think any DJ, whether they play House, Breaks, Trance, Techno, etc mix in 32 or 64 beat blocks - personally, I always stick to mixing in blocks of 64 beats because I think it sounds better.

Why do some producers feel the need to throw that theory out of the window and try to be a complete pain in the arse with their tunes? I hate it when tunes build up in blocks of 64, and then an odd block of 32 beats kicks in to throw the mix out of sync.

One tune that annoys me more than others (and was the first I had to re-edit when converting my vinyl to CD) is Alfa - Sacrosanct. Great tune, but it starts off in blocks of 64, then an odd block of 32 beats kicks in - and then more anoying of all, an odd 8 beat block comes in!

Why on earth would any producer stick an odd 8 beats into the intro of a tune? All it means is that you've got to mix out early otherwise the mix is going to sound gay!

I've also got a Guy McAffer tune that has an odd 8 beat block - which I find bizarre in a Techno tune, because Techno usually allows for really long mixes - allowing you plenty of time for tricks, etc. Techno is probably the most DJ friendly of all genres as it has nice long intro's to play around with with no breakdowns. That odd 8 beats completely kills that theory.

WHY????? :blink:

I agree mate, no sense in having a wicked tune that's almost impossible to mix with.

There are some tunes that I've brought that are superb, yet I've discarded them simply because they're complete toss to mix with.

It's not so bad with mp3 tracks cos they cost about £2 or less, but with vinyl tunes that cost between £5-£8 it used to really piss me off.

yeh its not very good when they dont adhere to user-friendly structures (so to speak).

It always compliments your mixing when they stick to this structure. There are a fair few tunes out there that do this, and I would say I am not sure whether it is intentional or not? Probs more often than not it is the case though...

I recall Tiestos Adagio being a pain like this to mix out of.

yeh its not very good when they dont adhere to user-friendly structures (so to speak).

It always compliments your mixing when they stick to this structure. There are a fair few tunes out there that do this, and I would say I am not sure whether it is intentional or not? Probs more often than not it is the case though...

I recall Tiestos Adagio being a pain like this to mix out of.

Yeah, Tiesto's remix of Adagio For Strings had 24 beat blocks on the outro for some bizarre reason, although it did kick back in to "proper" blocks back at the end. It just meant you had to mix nearer the end - resulting in a loss of energy that the track had just built up. Pointless!

I think some of it is down to the Producers not actually being DJ's themselves - or if they are, poor ones at that. Ronald Van Gelderen is another producer that insists on sticking in odd beats where they're not required - but then, if you've heard him DJ (if it qualifies as DJ'ing...), you'll notice that he doesn't mix his tunes in sync anyway. I used to run an internet radio station a couple of years ago, and I was sent a mix of Ronald van Gelderen by his PA to play on the station. The mix was so bad that I refused to play it.

Would u be interested to know briggs that ALFA aka Andy is a member of this board.....

I knew there was a member called Alfa, but I didn't realsie it was THE Alfa. So Andy, why did you do it biatch?.... LOL! :ph34r:

There are some tunes that I've brought that are superb, yet I've discarded them simply because they're complete toss to mix with.

Mate, if you like them but can't mix with them, i'll happily edit them to your spec for you - don't discard them. I can guarantee that you'll not be able to hear where they've been edited, and they'll be fully mixable without any little jumps in from poor editing :thumbsup:

Mate, if you like them but can't mix with them, i'll happily edit them to your spec for you - don't discard them. I can guarantee that you'll not be able to hear where they've been edited, and they'll be fully mixable without any little jumps in from poor editing :thumbsup:

Cheers for the offer mate, Jason B did a couple of very nice edits of tracks aswell. His edit of 'Song of Peace' was much much better than the original.

Most of the tunes i discarded were primarily vinyl tracks, but i'll see if there are any mp3 ones that fit the bill, cheers!

Cheers for the offer mate, Jason B did a couple of very nice edits of tracks aswell. His edit of 'Song of Peace' was much much better than the original.

Most of the tunes i discarded were primarily vinyl tracks, but i'll see if there are any mp3 ones that fit the bill, cheers!

No worries mate, the offer always stands so feel free to give me a shout if I can help at all.

I'm all edited out for today now. I've done about 8 tracks today. Six were fairly easy, but two were quite hefty :blink:

Archived