Foam Parties

bigsteve

Just been reading about Jules' close escape from a foam party recently and its got me thinking why promoters bother with them.

Besides the whole electrical and Health & Safety issues, I just don't get the whole point of it, especially in a British Winter. I can semi-understand it in Ibiza, but in a British winter :mellow:

What close escape is this? Please enlighten me!

It's just a gimmick to draw the crowds in innit. People will still go to them in Winter. I've been to a couple before and wouldn't say u get really wet!

Taken from his latest diary report:

Sat night at the University of Essex in Colchester was billed as an ‘Ibiza foam party’. I’ve only played a handful of these, always far enough away from the foam to avoid getting drenched. Clearly foam parties only work in venues where the foam and the electrics of the club can be well separated. Unfortunately the promoters learned late in the day that their public liability insurance didn’t cover any potential accidents caused by people slipping on the foam. I’m not sure, but at very least there must be a fair few people falling over in a bubbly mess. So it ended up being a foam party sans foam. Since it was zero degrees outside it was probably a good thing.

I've been to one and get drenched. People were sliding all about on the dancefloor and dancing was impossible. It was just like something out of Tiswas :mellow:

Simple! Foam Parties attract the younger girls (18-24ish) in beachwear (ie, Bikini's). 18-24ish girls in Bikini's attract sweaty blokes of all ages that think they stand a chance. Lots of young girls plus lots of sweaty blokes = lots of alcohol consumed, therefore, they make lots of money.

Sad, but true!

Has anyone else noticed the sudden "trend" in foam parties now that the goverment have supposedly clamped down on 2 for 1 drinks offers, etc? Again, another poorly thought out idea by the goverment. If clubs can't pull people in by offering them 2 for 1 drinks, then they'll explore other avenues such as this.

The goverment are "worried" about people draining NHS resources from liver problems (long term), and nights in hospital from unconsciousness caused by "one too many" (short term), but its not going to cure the problem. Now, we're going to see more people in hospital from slipping at foam parties and more casualties where two blokes have been fighting over one girl. Not to mention the extra policing thats going to be needed due to more people cramming inside one venue rather than being split over 2 or 3 venues.

Well done Labour - another genius plan you've come up with! :rolleyes:

Have been to one foam party in Majorca nearly four years ago, made absolutely no difference to anyone that there was foam, everyone just carried as normal. A few people fell over comically but that was it

yeah i went to one of BCMs legendary foam parties and they differ hugely to the ones you find in the UK. Whereas at BCMs you couldnt go anywhere without getting covered in foam at a couple of foam parties i've been to in the UK we were standing on the edge of the dancefloor and didnt get any foam on us (intentional)

this may have changed now though. I havent been to one for many years :)

yeah i went to one of BCMs legendary foam parties and they differ hugely to the ones you find in the UK. Whereas at BCMs you couldnt go anywhere without getting covered in foam at a couple of foam parties i've been to in the UK we were standing on the edge of the dancefloor and didnt get any foam on us (intentional)

this may have changed now though. I havent been to one for many years :)

Health & Safety isn't an issue in BCM anyway - its impossible to slip over on that infamous sticky carpet :blink:

Archived