Vinyl Storage....

Simcut

Hey guys

How do you store your vinyl ?

I currently have over 2700 records in my house and they are stored randomly (not in a-z) and there are some in my room, some in my sister's room, some in the understais cupboard.....which is a nightmare, especially when I am selling stuff and have to find every record each time!

My sister has moved out but all of her stuff is still in her room for the time being. When her furniture goes as well I am planning on buying a storage unit, maybe even 2 to store all my records and that then allows me to put them in a-z order.

I've had a look on the IKEA site and found this unit:-

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...umber=S59807190

Im not too sure if this unit would have the correct depth for a record and also whether it could withstand the weight of records in each of the boxes?

Do any of you know any other good storage solutions for vinyl that wouldnt cost me a bomb?

Cheers!

I've just got mine in proper record boxes. Funky House A-Z, Trance A-Z, Trance - 90's Classics A-Z, Techno A-Z

Yeah same here mate. 'Filing' by A-Z is a nightmare. Pigeon-holing them by style is much better, and then by date within sections. That way I can pretty much find stuff pretty quickly.

I can find most of mine quite easily when they're labelled A-Z. I know the vast mojority of the sleeves, so if i'm after Hi-Gate - Saxuality, I know its the only black Hi-Gate one i've got sandwiched between a load of silver sleeves. The same with my others, ie, My Lost Witness tracks - The red sleeve sandwiched between the charcoal coloured one and the black one is Red Sun Rising. The charcoal coloured one is Happiness Happening and the black one is 7 Colours.

I've got a big collection, but I can find any tune I want within 5 minutes of looking, which is always a bonus.

That's a good idea. I've got loads of bookcases made out of MDF and they look really good. Also got several video storage units made out of MDF which are just deep enough for the videos to fit inside so that the units don't take up too much room.

I got mine stored in a big wardrobe, no sorting system just in there on the basis on what I played last, i keep some that I still play regularly in my Technics bag aswell so i can get those easily & then some of the ones i wana sell are stored outside the unit and out of the way.

Usually have a quick flick through every now & then so I can keep the bigger tunes I have on vinyl close to hand

Need to get this sorted asap, but I need units to be able to store all my records in one room, then I need to go through the painful task of putting them into a-z order!

Im definitely categorising them into a-z by genre, god its going to take aaaaaaaaaages :-(

When I originally started bunging records in t loft I made lisst of what was in every box but a year or so ago I abandoned this idea as I couldnt be arsed with it and therfore now having trouble finding certain records at times! usually I have a idea of the rough area they in but end up pulling hair out by going over same areas not finding the specific item and then by chance sometime later finding it straight away!

I have a access database of my entire colection (one table for 12's one for 7''s one for cd singles etc...)in a to z so could do a to z , silly question Brissgys pointed out ease of finding stuff that way but anone else say a to z is a better way of doing things?

Alteranative if you feel peckish bung some tomatoe sauce on vinyl and scofff... silly idea yes...

My grandad made me some awesome cabitnets which go under the desk which has my decks on it. I got two and I recon each one holds a couple of hundred vinyl. Also got it stored in various boxes/bags around my room at home and at uni. I don't store them in any alphabetical order or anything. They're kind of grouped into genres but I guess it depends on what style I was playing last. I tend to find that I know where they all are anyway.

Mine are stored on a 'IVAN' or 'IVAR' shelving unit from IKEA. this is great because you can buy extra shelves/corner pieces etc to extend/reduce the size of the unit at any time - They're pretty cheap too. I've sold about 2/3 of my collection as i'm going to mp3/cd. Still have about 1000 records:

1/2 shelf - Trance/hard house

1 shelf - house

1 1/2 shelves - hip hop/rnb/disco/soul/funk/breaks/dj tools/soundtracks/weird stuff

1/2 shelf - pop/indie

it's not A-Z, but i group artists/labels next to each other, along with related projects.

Ive built my own storage solution out of MDF. Tunes are arranged A-Z in house and trance sections, and are also arranged by year. For example all my 2000 trance is arranged in one A-Z, then 2001 in another A-Z and so on. My memory has always been good for the year each tune was out so I can find em pretty quick.

I also have some boxes with newer trance in and one full of happy hardcore!!!

post-84-1175282964_thumb.jpg

Archived