Lewis Hamilton

bigsteve

I was refraining from putting a thread on here, but after 3 podiums in 3 races, surely I can't put a curse on him!

He's certainly brought some life back into the sport (although I've always said that once Schumacher left, it would be more open) and its great to see a Brit doing so well. Not sure he'll get a win this season, but it a couple of reliability issues on the Ferraris would certainly help B)

Yeah, he's done extremely well - and I do think he'll get a win at some point. He's under no pressure at all - he's already done better than most people expected, so he can just go out and do his thing now - whereas there's a lot of pressure on the Ferrari drivers because they've put a lot of money into it, they've built a reliable car, etc - the drivers must feel the pressure - and because of it, could make a cock up or two. Lewis Hamilton hasn't got all that to worry about.

As for our other Brit, David Coulthard - I think finishing a race would just be an achivement for him. Once upon a time, I thought he was better than Damon Hill. He was supurb at Williams - but his career seems to have gone backwards. He rarely finished a race last season, and he's been out of every race again so far this year.

I think he should just get out and push it - at least he'll finish, albeit, 3 weeks later than expected :ph34r:

Is exciting to have a Brit doing well again, races that may have seemed a little dull in previous barren years will now have some interest as we have someone to support at the sharp end of the grid.

Coulthard was superb entertainment for the period when he was slicing through the field, was a solid race & definately worth watching.

Yes he is the first black driver in F1, but why is it significant :confused:

Because he's currently setting milestones. He's the first black driver to finish on the podium in F1.

The term "black" is used too common these days anyway. "Black" to me would be like West Indian appearance - but he's not. He looks half-cast - a big difference from "black".

People complain about racism, etc - and then daft comments like his skin colour come out every time he's racing. To be honest, i'd never really paid much attention to his skin colour (because its irrelevant, has no impact on F1 at all - and because I don't really care!).

Nobody said "Michael Schumacher is the 3060th white person to stand on the podium" - so why the necessity to do it now. Black, white, half-cast - human, robot, martian - who cares? Does it really affect Formula 1? :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Drive of the day by Coutlhard though. Losing 3rd gear for the last 10 (odd) laps of the GP and fending off a charging Rosberg. I thought maybe he was going to get some reliability issues like the last race due to pushing the car too hard but he did well this time.

I don't know whether its me but i don't really like Hamilton. Maybe its his maclaren/ron dennis/F1 massaged persona coming through. For instance when the three finishers were waiting to walk out on to the podium Massa (obviously very happy) affectionately slapped Hamilton on the back of his head and Hamilton looked like he hated it....and his smile back at him looked unblieveably forced......

Maybe me looking too deep :|

Agree with you about Coulthard - thats the best finish he's had in a long time and was done under ITV's radar really. Congrats to him, but I dislike his attitude more than Hamilton's tbf!

I think Hamilton has been significantly manufactured and is almost robot - like in his answers during interviews. Still, its great to see a Brit doing so well. A great future for him I'm sure.

Agree with you about Coulthard - thats the best finish he's had in a long time and was done under ITV's radar really. Congrats to him, but I dislike his attitude more than Hamilton's tbf!

I think Hamilton has been significantly manufactured and is almost robot - like in his answers during interviews. Still, its great to see a Brit doing so well. A great future for him I'm sure.

you dislike Coulthard's more than Hamilton's??

Coulthard is the one of the voices of reason in my opinion in the ego-driven world of F1. He says it how it is sometimes and the way he handled Klien's comments about him last year emphasises that.

I don't like Hamilton's persona purely for those reasons you have stated:

"significantly manufactured and is almost robot - like"

It was a typically dull race to be fair. The only action happening in the pits; massa flaming, heidfeld going nuts and button struggling to get started.....!

Coulthard has never really cut it with me. He never seems to put much effort into what he says during interviews and just does them because he has to. I also think he's a bit arrogant.

Having said all of that, Hamilton hasn't made much effort yet to talk to his fans (from what I've seen) so time will tell...

It was one of those pretty dull races, but better than most in Barcelona. Only two weeks to the road procession at Monaco, but somehow its still my favourite of the calendar.

Hamilton is still a very young man & to be fair who wouldn't get a little carried away with such an amazing start, perhaps when (if) things start going a little less swimmingly he'll become more approachable & sincere, I really like him though, it's great to actually have a vested interest in race results now.

Massa was outstanding really is a find by Ferrari

• 4 weeks later...

what an amazing race. So many things happened.

4 drivers could have been given the drive of the day award! Hamilton for his first win. Kovalainen for starting last and getting 4th. Wurz for a podium in his first season (?) and Sato for getting points and passing Alonso!

Hamilton kept himself composed through the whole race and showed that he is going to be picking up many more winner's trophies in the future.

So far, the ONLY race this season I've missed and it was the best yet :angry: I even missed the highlights show today on ITV4 :angry::(:angry: I'm off to go and search Youtube....

Dead pleased for Hamilton, by all accounts an excellent drive and he managed to stay out of trouble. Clearly some people need reminding of the rules in Safety Car situations...

I just can't believe how good a first season Hamilton is having.

Archived