TV Phone Quizzes

bigsteve

I've just watched Panorama about the rigged TV quizzes and how people called in but had no chance of winning because the winner had already been picked.

Its got me thinking about that Jules show a few months back when the TL, incl the Budge the Judge winner, appeared at 4PM on the R1 website. Jules said that 2 endings had been recorded, but it still didn't explain how the winner was announced on the TL that afternoon.

It seems like this show was also a part of these huge problems that seem endless at the moment :(

I've been trying to find the original thread, but no luck so far.

TBH Steve, I'm pretty sure Radio 1 don't make any money out of these texts as there is no prize to be won and the cost of a text is only about 8p so there's nothing to gain. However these TV shows charge £1.00 or more when you ring in to enter these competitions.

I still reckon that R1 just messed up the T/L like they have done on so many other occassions (when Jules has been away)

There was some scandal about GMTV recently about this weren't there, if you're gonna spend a quid a minute on a call you might aswell call Babestation or something... :D

Serisouly, i think Jules should drop this feature anyway, and bring "gone but not forgotten"

Jules Saturday webchart winners towards the end (back in the day) also became slightly suspect, but that was more laziness on the part of R1 in my opinion which, although infuriating for some voters, actually became amusing as the winner would be seletced at 6.30pm when clearly the bar chart online at that point showed it was clearly either 4th or 5th :mrgreen:

Yeah, I don't think Radio 1 actually make any money from texts - so they've nothing to worry about.

To be honets though, if you're daft enough to pay a quid over and over again to answer an easy question where millions of people are going to text in, then you get what you deserve.

People can't honestly expect to win these competitions?

I've always had my doubts abot how genuine the X-Factor was too. Kate Thornton would say "you've got one minute left to vote" - she'd then say, the lines are now closed, and then straight away, she'd be handed a sheet with the results on.

I can't see how the votes can be worked out, printed, and handed to her, in the space of a few seconds.

I wouldn't say i'm cynical - I just use a bit of common sense. Some people are just so gullible and/or stupid. Its like that woman that was on GMTV the other week pleading for sympathy because she paid someone thousands of pounds of her savings because they promised to invest them in shares.

They weren't a reputable company, and they did a runner with her money. It'd be like giving someone your credit card, but asking them not to use it. Its just stupid!

Serisouly, i think Jules should drop this feature anyway, and bring "gone but not forgotten"

funny you should say that - has anyone else noticed a classic creeping into his sat night mix each week again?

funny you should say that - has anyone else noticed a classic creeping into his sat night mix each week again?

Yeah, and I reckon its been done on purpose to see what the reaction is by the listeners. With his producer going, it could be a sign that Jules's wants to re-introduce the classic tune feature back. Hopefully, now that his producer has gone, we'll hear less of the "Hi. I'm Beer-boy Bazza from Barry Town - just wanna say a big shout out to my mate Dave whilst i'm sitting on my bog having a large one, before I head down to Turnmills to have another large one" over the top of a cracking breakdown. I hate this listener shout thing - it just ruins tunes. Keep that for Dave Pearce's show. I don't care who's going to see Anne Savage and Sonique in Bristol on a Saturday night - I just wanna hear, quality tunage, in full with no interuptions other than Jules's "we're banging more than the rabbits from Watership Down" Julesism's

i didnt think jules ever pre recorded his saturday shows anyway? i know his old friday night ones were.

Jules only records them if he's in a foreign country over the Saturday - such as if he's touring Malaysia or Australia. He'd probably after record it if he was coming to Coventry on a friday night too, because there's that many road works, he wouldn't get home til the Sunday. :blink:

On a side note, rumours are that Westwood was going to record a "best of Westwood" show to air in June - but Radio 1 cancelled it as they realised there were no best bits!

I just wanna hear, quality tunage, in full with no interuptions other than Jules's "we're banging more than the rabbits from Watership Down" Julesism's

Jules only records them if he's in a foreign country over the Saturday - such as if he's touring Malaysia or Australia. He'd probably after record it if he was coming to Coventry on a friday night too, because there's that many road works, he wouldn't get home til the Sunday. :blink:

On a side note, rumours are that Westwood was going to record a "best of Westwood" show to air in June - but Radio 1 cancelled it as they realised there were no best bits!

My favourite Julesism would be "generating more hits than Whitney's crack pipe" but i got a feeling a rather large law suit would follow.

Surely the best bit about Westwoods show would be, when it actually finished?

Archived