demo mixes - who do you do it?

Moonman

how do you guys do them? Do you mix them fully "off the cuff" live and spontaneus in one take - including the tracks or do you plan them -tracks, track order, test mixing to see if they flow?

Do you get proper frustrated with doing them? How many attempts do you have at them?

I normally do mine off the cuff and fully live...just wondering. Thinking of doing a load this week to send out to some bigger club nights/promoters.

Yeh I am pretty much these same as you with the recordings, with certain tracks there are occasional pilot tests, but most of the time its straight off. Sometimes I panic when in a recording cos I cant remember the structure of a choon and frightened I might mix it at the wrong place, but in the last mix this pulled off :)

I used to make my mixes purely for demo purposes and try dish em out to clubs etc, but uni has taken over and this have proved difficult. Of recent I just record to make sure my choonage is getting put to good use and to upload em onto me site :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Being as I record at least one mix per week (for radio purposes) I'm pretty used to just playing sets as & when I feel like, i hate the idea of pre-programming sets, what's the point? If you get into the habit of doing this then what happens if you're playing out & people are leaving the floor in their droves because they hate the direction you're going in.

It's always best to think on your feet & just play whatever you feel would flow next imo.

Some tracks mix nicely into one another & sometimes you'll bear that in mind when playing, I don't really set out to record many demo mixes to be fair though, I just pick out the best recent set I've done for radio & use that :)

Sometimes I use a particular 'combo' of tracks that work nicely, but deffo when playing at a gig its spontaneous, but for demo purposes I believe a little thougth is necessary..

Archived