An honest opinion please.....

Briggsy

I thought i'd post this here because I know you guys are friendly and say things as they are. If i'd have posted it anywhere else, i'd be slated - regardless of whether people think its good or bad.

basically, i'm working on a bootleg, but aren't sure whether to finish it off because i'm not sure about it.

Its called "Lethal Pistolwhip", and its a combination of the Richard Durand remix of Lethal Industry, and Joshua Ryan's Pistol Whip.

Any creative feedback - good or bad, would be appreciated. As I say, its "work in progress" - so i've only included the sample of the completed section.

here you go guys.

http://carlbriggs.ttamixhosting.co.uk/Leth...olwhip_Demo.mp3

Cheers chaps (and chapette!)

i like the percussive part of Lethal Industry and i like the break of Pistolwhip so it's good. But it needs something extra adding to it. Because although i like it, i feel its quite simple and could be done live anyway using turntables and a copy of each tune. It's a bit "safe" if you know what i mean? i appreciate its unfinished so why not throw something else in there...Acapella maybe?

usually i like bootlegs to be straight up remixes or "blends".

anyway, at least you're getting out there producing, something which i'm loking to do.

i like the percussive part of Lethal Industry and i like the break of Pistolwhip so it's good. But it needs something extra adding to it. Because although i like it, i feel its quite simple and could be done live anyway using turntables and a copy of each tune. It's a bit "safe" if you know what i mean? i appreciate its unfinished so why not throw something else in there...Acapella maybe?

usually i like bootlegs to be straight up remixes or "blends".

anyway, at least you're getting out there producing, something which i'm loking to do.

Thanks for the feedback mate. I'll keep that in mind :mrgreen:

haha i'm nowhere near getting into producing though. I'm not creative enough to go into producing, and that doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll stick to my DJ'ing. Bootlegging is a world apart from producing in my book.

Yeah I definitely think its got potential. A good combination of tracks as they've both got those trademark 'stabbing synths'on the break and in a way I guess they sound pretty similar.

Stick a house accapella in there and jules will be thrashing it out on a weekly basis!

The tile could do with a bit more imagination though. They always baffle me...

Monotone Devil? Erm.....

I cant see why people always just put both names together. To me, Lethal-whip sounds a bit more punchy and kinda kinky :wub: . Ha, ha!

Im not dissing your name, I'm just being my usual petty self and being picky. Ignore me <_< .

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy thinking up bootleg names, although it's hard to be creative in this case!

Unfortunately cos i'm abroad I couldn't listen to this, but bootlegging tracks just for your own sets and enjoyment is a good way to pass an afternoon. You can't make any money off them but if you produce as well they can provide a bit of a springboard (such as AJS).

I've made quite a few, and had limited success with them in airplay terms! Most successful was Greece 643 which Stuart F played :) It does annoy me that they don't get anywhere when some others do. Must not be as original as I first think!

on an aside, the best ever bootleg was the Stunmasterz - music sounds better with you vs. holiday" very good stuff. On the Stardust EP from 1998 - only thing was, the mastering was so s*** you could never play it out!

Good idea Mr Briggs, im no expert but in my opinion they dont seem to be together enough, would be better if they were on top of each other if you understand what i mean, rather than one and then the other. At the moment it sounds too simple like one track and then the other, would sound better if say the baseline of Lethal Industry was used withe the breakdown of Pistol Whip if that makes sense?

As the others say it doesn't really do much to be honest. However it has got potential. I don't agree with your comments that production is a world away from bootlegging. You can get really creative with bootlegs. The fingers burt tracks were an excellent example.

Lethal Industry has plenty of different mixes, so I would have a listen though and see if I could nab any other samples which you can throw in. Try processing them and see if you can make them sound interesting and play with the structures of the original tunes. As far as I remember the original of lethal industry has a point in the breakdown where all you can here is the lead synth. You could sample this and throw a stab in a mini break down every 32/16 bars for example. I wouldn't just bung in an acappella for the sake of something though.

Have you done any more work on this chief?

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I've not done anything else with it to be honest. I've been stacked out with loads of other work to do.

It was just something I started as a bit of fun, and something i'll complete in the near future.

I'll keep you posted :mrgreen:

Archived