Anybody with a bit of PC networking knowlege?

Briggsy

If so, could you kindly try to offer some suggestions as to a problem i'm having please?

Basically, I have a desktop PC, and a laptop PC with a router.

I have successfully managed to set up the router to have both PC's sharing a broadband internet connection - both wired, and wireless.

However, I cannot get the PC's to link together to share files, etc. Both PC's are in the same workgroup, which is, ironically, named "workgroup"

The desktop PC is running XP, and the laptop is running Vista.

The router isn't faulty because this is the second router i've tried now (two different brands too), and i've experienced this problem with both routers.

I suspect i'm doing something wrong - even though its supposed to be a "quick and easy" set up.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Cheers chappies :thumbsup:

Is it an actual router or just a hub with the net connection on the desktop?

Can you see files one machine but not the other? I would suggest checking you have the same protocalls installed and make sure that the IPs are automatically assigned. I've had loads of trouble with XP not sharing files when you manually assign an IP.

Is it an actual router or just a hub with the net connection on the desktop?

Can you see files one machine but not the other? I would suggest checking you have the same protocalls installed and make sure that the IPs are automatically assigned. I've had loads of trouble with XP not sharing files when you manually assign an IP.

It is an actual router mate.

I've tried manual and automatically assigned IP's, but I just cannot get the two PC's to see each other. I can't see any files across each PC :(

Apparently there is an issue with networking between Vista and XP. There is a program available that Microsoft released which allows people to network between different OS's.

I'll do a google search and let you know what it is, I noticed the info on my travels yesterday.

All sorted thanks Simcut :thumbsup:

Basically, on Vista, even if you have a third party Firewall such as Norton or McAfee, Windows Firewall works in "smart mode" in the background - even if you have it turned off.

I'd configured Norton Firewall to grant access to my other PC's IP - but Windows Firewall thought it had "slipped through" - so it decided to block them Ip instead.

After enabling the IP on both firewalls, it cured the problem.

So, I don't think there is a networking issue between XP and Vista - I think its just down to this "double firewall" problem.

I thought there must have been something more complicated to it, because i'm quite a smartarse with PC's - I build and maintain PC's for people (including myself), and am currently doing a self-teach Comptia A+ course so that I can move from my current job and start a career in PC building and maintenance.

I used a bit of common sense and realised that it must have been software related rather than hardware because everything was set up properly, and everything was configured correctly in Windows.

Modern technology isn't all its cracked up to be!

Archived