Windows Help

Aza

I have tried 'Googlin' this for ages, but it is so hard to explain it to the search engine I'm making no progress...

Basically, in Windows Explorer you can right click on the white background or anywhere on the desktop (i.e, not on any files or folders) and scroll down to "New". From here you can then select a programme to open up as a quick shortcut.

Recently, Notepad has disappeared and I want to somehow restore it.

Any ideas???

Also, in my Windows Explorer my HTML files are not displaying the proper icons - "internet explorer". Ive tried going into folder options to change what program it opens with, but it aint having none of it...

Your help is appreciated :)

Not sure I can really help to be honest mate, never really experienced those problems before.

I just use the Start menu anyway, using the shortcut key tabs you can open up anything very quickly

Something has deffo gone 'boobies' up cos I just noticed that it is not just "Notepad" that has disappeared, but new Image document etc.

You guys try it, see how many things come up for you when you right clikc and select new, I got bout 4/5 applications!

System Restore aint even doing the trick :(

If you're certain you've not got a virus or a s*** load of spyware, then i'm afraid to say that it sounds like part of the registry has corrupt - i've experienced similar things before, and it was caused by a power surge when I was installing an application.

Basically, Windows got "confused", during the surge, and chewed up the registry.

You cna get registry repairers, but to be honest, they don't work - the only reliable fix is a clean installation on windows.

Do a virus and spyware scan first though. :thumbsup:

Cheers Briggsy.

I have been thinking on similar lines too, however I'm a little puzzled tbh. I believe I have good practice for safe web browsing and also have NIS 2007 in place (cue the other thread lol over the pros and cons...).

I may have to do a full system scan, but usually NIS flags any probs as and when they happen.

I do have Vista here, but won't be installing that until SP1 comes out at least.

I wasted so much time yesterday on Google, I couldn't quite figure how to word the terms for the search and kept getting all these things to customise my menu's etc... :(

Yeah, I also suggest a clean install mate - it sounds like your registry is dead. NIS is 95% secure.

Vista is actually better than I though. I was dreading it, but when I bought my laptop, it had it pre-installed, so was lumbered with it.

Its actually very solid, and i've had no compatibility issues with older applications at all.

I expected it to be like XP when that first came out - hardly anything worked on it. My scanner and printers wouldn't work, and some applications wouldn't work.

XP was a brand new OS though, wheras Vista is just a tarted up version of XP.

Be warned though - Vista runs like a pig unless you've got plenty of memory and processor to spare.

The minimum requirements it says it needs is a bit of a joke. My brand new laptop has 1gig of ram, and 69% of that is taken up all the time with Vista. :blink:

Cheers Tim mate :)

Got the external on the go as well as the internal ;)

Edit! I think my entire GCSE coursework through to A level & degree is on there, now that is probs just as valuable as your tunage!

I once read 1Mb of your data including pictures, taking into account time is money, I think 1Mb is worth about £100 or £1000 !!!!!!!!!

Archived