Gatecrasher 1 Burned Down..

I feel absoloutly gutted - gatecrasher has been burned down & has completely collapsed.

I can see the smoke from my house - i cannot believe its happened, absoloutly shocked.

It has to be suspect..

moblog_03e55a1acf101.jpg

moblog_e2b4e457e8fd0.jpg

to say i feel like crying is an understatement...

Gutted, just as they were really beginning to get it back close to the glory days, I was planning on heading up as well later in the summer.

it seems we're destined never to meet ey mate! haha

Well, if they owned the land and they were insured properly, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to rebuild it.

Buildings get thrown up in no time at all now. I dare say the longest part of it would be getting everything sorted via the insurance.

Well, if they owned the land and they were insured properly, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to rebuild it.

Buildings get thrown up in no time at all now. I dare say the longest part of it would be getting everything sorted via the insurance.

i was of the camp that thinks it's an inside job when i first saw the pics and other people's comments.

I'm of your thinking now Briggsy. There is NO WAY Simon Raine would have had that place uninsured. He (along with Bondy) OWN's Crasher One and has done for many years. They'll have the place insured up til the hilt.

I'd like to say they could get it back up in time for the 14th birthday, but that seems a bit optimistic. I do think it WILL get rebuilt now though.

f***ing hope so anyway. Crasher has always been my second home. The moment I walked in there back in 1998 right through til now. Can't think of a single bad night.

I don't know what to think to be honest. A few interesting points have been raised on other forums about why it could be an inside job - things such as:

1. Gatecrasher One is the only venue they own outright. Insurance money, plus the sale of the Gatecrasher One land would possibly raise enough funds to pay for full ownership of Discotheque and Media - venues that they, allegedly, currently part-own.

2. They've also just, allegedly, bought a venue in Watford - again, more money might be needed to do that up.

3. The timing seems suspect with some people - all Gatecrasher events over the next few months have been scheduled to be put on put on at Discotheque in Leeds, rather than GC One. Also, rumours are that GC One was stripped of its equipment and sound system yesterday and today - and taken to Leeds. People are syaing that its a bit odd that the place went up shortly after the club is emptied of its most expensive assets.

4. Apparently, (again rumours) the GC finances aren't too good after the part purchase of Discotheque and Media, plus the expensive overhauls of both clubs, plus the purchase of the Watford venue. The GCSSS also ran at a big loss apparently.

5. Apparently, Pete Docherty is going to sue them for using his name to boost their GCSSS sales. He says he was never booked to play there - and wasn't even approached as a possibility to play there.

But my thinking is, it doesn't take much for a nightclub to go up either. We've all ready stories on DJ diaries about speakers not being wired up properly, etc. They're obviously not double-checked by someone else to make sure their wired up properly - so, if DJ equipment isn't wired up properly and not double-checked, who's to say the same isn't happening with electrical cables. All it takes is a plug to be wired up wrong, with the wrong amp fuse, and then thats it - it'll catch fire. These clubs have electrical equipment everywhere - speakers, mixers, deck, effects units, amps, etc - it doesn't take much to overload a fusebox.

I dare say we'll find out eventually. My suspicions are that it'll be an electrical fault or something - it doesn't take much doing.

I still don't know what to think to be honest - yes there will always be a lot of speculation.

Matt Hardwick has commented on his own msg board:

It is a very sad day for me. I have so many good memories and given the fact I played there every Monday and Saturday for years I have probably clocked up more hours than any other DJ who played there.

I am really trying not to think about this because it upsets me too much.

Gatecrasher One sold as a going concern (given the goodwill factor) would have had a market value of around £5-10 million. The insurance proceeds will amount to reinstatement (rebuild) costs and will exclude any goodwill. As such, they can expect to recoup about £800,000. If GC were so desperate (which I know they are not) to rid themselves of the club they would simply sell it to first leisure for £10m. This is aside from the potential criminal liability that would come hand in hand with organising a deliberate fire to recoup insurance proceeds. The conspiracy theories just dont stack up.

I really do feel like crying when I think about this.

Seems he is very sure of the cause, and i think i have to agree.

Crasher fro mtheir roots were only bothered about putting on the best nights for the clubbers - it was never about money, but more recently they have started the 'brand' and attention has focused on money. For this fact it makes me question whether or not they will rebuild in Sheffield - i think if they do or do not it will say alot about Crasher today.

Really starting to sink in today - i proper loved that place, first went about 4 years ago - by far the best club i have ever been too - no where has come anywhere near, in fact no where near the atmosphere created inside crasher. If you have been you will understand..

I still don't know what to think to be honest - yes there will always be a lot of speculation.

Matt Hardwick has commented on his own msg board:

Seems he is very sure of the cause, and i think i have to agree.

Crasher fro mtheir roots were only bothered about putting on the best nights for the clubbers - it was never about money, but more recently they have started the 'brand' and attention has focused on money. For this fact it makes me question whether or not they will rebuild in Sheffield - i think if they do or do not it will say alot about Crasher today.

Really starting to sink in today - i proper loved that place, first went about 4 years ago - by far the best club i have ever been too - no where has come anywhere near, in fact no where near the atmosphere created inside crasher. If you have been you will understand..

i agree. i've been to various clubs around the country, even the crasher events at different venues, but nothing has come close to the music, atmosphere that was in The Republic/Crasher One on Saturday nights.

The venue was just as much an important part as the people i went with and the tunes that were played.

It's a sad piece of news, this. Simon says the life of the club will go on though, so I have visions of it being rebuilt.

If they do so, let's hope they can recreate the atmosphere inside, as sometimes you can spend a lot of money on a new place and for some reason it just doesn't feel right inside.

It's a sad piece of news, this. Simon says the life of the club will go on though, so I have visions of it being rebuilt.

If they do so, let's hope they can recreate the atmosphere inside, as sometimes you can spend a lot of money on a new place and for some reason it just doesn't feel right inside.

Prime example: Air..

From a Crasher myspace Bulletin...

"FIRE AT GATECRASHER ONE SHEFFIELD

Yesterday (18 June) at approximately 1700 our nightclub in Sheffield, Gatecrasher One, caught fire. The club was not open to the public at the time and only several members of staff were inside. The club was immediately evacuated, as per our fire procedures and no-one was injured or hurt. It is with sadness that we inform you that the building collapsed a few hours later.

The fire service was called immediately the fire was found and arrived on the scene within minutes. At this time we have no confirmation as to the cause of the fire and we are working with fire investigation officers to determine how it started.

Simon Raine, Managing Director of Gatecrasher, said: “True to our own motto of “Never Stand Still” we will be moving forward to scope out how we put on our planned club nights in Sheffield during the summer. We will be looking to continue all CRASHER and Hed Kandi nights planned in Sheffield during Summer 2007 at a venue to be confirmed.

“We will also be looking at how we rebuild the Gatecrasher One club, one of the cornerstones of the UK nightclub scene and our spiritual home, as quickly as possible. We want everyone to remember all those memorable nights at Gatecrasher One from down the years, safe in the knowledge that it will be back…bigger, brighter, louder and more brash – it will always be with you.”

Gatecrasher’s 14th birthday celebrations in September will also be going ahead. Other Gatecrasher venues in Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham and Watford are not affected by the fire in Sheffield.

Following a multi-million summer makeover Media by Gatecrasher in Nottingham will reopen as Gatecrasher Nottingham on September 6. Fresh on the success of the sell-out Gatecrasher Summer Sound System during Bank Holiday weekend in May we will be releasing the album from the legendary weekend at the end of June, which will be accompanied by a series of global tours.

Further announcements on the rebuild of Gatecrasher One will be made in due course."

exactly the reason the infamous Shelleys was never rebuilt or re located. I'm probably in the minority here, but it will simply never be the same if they rebuild it.

Jules made a good point on Newsbeat - Garlands was rebuilt after a fire, and he says it is now much beter. Could GC1 be any better? (Genuine question, I've never been)

I'm devastated that I never went and will now never go, at least to the club that it was. On a plus side, PVD's 6 hour set could be moved to Discotheque in Leeds. I've not returned to Leeds since moving north, so a trip down there is looking likely :thumbsup:

Its hard to decide if its a scam or not. I guess time will tell. With dance music not as prevalent as it once was, from a financial point of view, flats would be the way forward. If Raine and Bond have got their hearts in the right place, it has to be a rebuild.

Its not the building that creates the atmosphere - its the people that go.

I genuinely believe that if its rebuilt, the atmosphere will match, if not be better, than it was before. The Crasher bunch are a loyal lot and if its rebuilt, they'll pack the place out on its first opening - and the atmosphere will be immense.

Many people say that Godskitchen lost its atmosphere after their revamp - but to be honest, I think that was more down to the fact that it changed it music policy from Trance bi-weekly and Hard House the other two weeks, to a bit of everything. They had a change of name, gave it a facelift, and tried to cater for more House music too - and that has ruined the atmosphere imo.

Before, you had a all-trance, and all hard-house on one night - now you've got Trance or hard house fans in the main room, with electro-house fans in the Nitrogen room. I don't know what it is with House music fans - but they seem to think that their genre is superior to everything else and they can't been seen to be mingling with the others.

Archived