7. Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire)

8. Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)

9. Liam Plunkett (Durham)

10. Matt Prior (Sussex)

11. Owais Shah (Middlesex)

12. Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire)

13. Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

14. Michael Yardy (Sussex)

Personally I'm pleased to see that they've gone with Broad, whom I rate very highly & it's also nice to see Trott get a call up as his form & average are both top draw. Mascharenhas has also earned his call-up & it'll be interesting to see how they employ him, could be a canny operator in the middle overs. Shah is definately a good selection as I believe he's been treated poorly by the England selectors in the past, I guess Yardy has got in due to his Sussex connections

Just a shame that Vikram Solanki isn't included imo, probably biased having seen him play many times for Worcester but I really rate him very highly & he already has two ODI hundreds to his name

Yeah, being a Warwickshire fan, i'm glad to see Trott involved - although I should think that Tim Ambrose feels a bit hard done by as he's been our best batsman by far this season - there are clearly issues between him and Moyes from their Sussex days.

I still think that we're lacking a decent strike bowler. Onions from Durham has been awesome for the last couple of seasons - and I think he deserves a call up.

I'm glad to see Vaughan has gone. As a batsman, he's done very little for the last couple of years. If it wasn't for his supurb captaincy, i'd say kick him out of the test side too - but he does seem to make a massive impact as captain.

WIth Flintoff, Strauss and Vaughan all out of the squad (who have all been useless over the last 12-18 months), i'm a bit more positive now. Get another solid wicket taker in there, and a good opening partnership, and then I think we could start to turn the corner with the one day side.

:)

So clearly Vaughan is well out of favour for the ODI squad - and rightly so. Wasn't it me that was suggesting a different captain for Test and ODIs B)

Yeah, and I think a lot of us agreed at the time.

To be honest, it makes me wonder how much longer we can find an excuse to keep him in the test team too. He might make a good captain, but is that enough to save his test career? His scores are nothing special these days.

Vaughan had a fine series with the bat against West Indies & I believe is a must for the side as a batsman. His record is still fantastic & coupled with his pro-active captaincy he's a vital ingredient in the team

Vaughan had a fine series with the bat against West Indies

He had a couple of poor scores too though, and it is only the West Indies. They're not even close to the team they were years ago.

Against decent opposition, he's really struggled - although to be fair to him, he's been out for over a year so he's not had time to find his rhythm.

He should have been sent off to his county for 6 months to play for them - and then if his form was good enough, he'd have came back into the side naturally.

He was given special treatment by the selectors just because he was captain. If anyone else had been out injured for so long, there's no way they'd walk back into the side. They'd have to grind it out at county level and force their way back with big scores - and then even that isn't always enough - as proven with Mark Butcher and Alistair Brown in the past.

The test against India will be a big test for Vaughan. If he struggles, he should be sent off to Yorkshire for a while in my opinion.

His captaincy is worth an awful lot to the Test team though & I feel he deservedly got his place back. I rate Owais Shah very highly but he struggled in the Lords test on a strip that was perfect for batting.

Butcher played a lot of Test matches for England with a modest average & I don't feel he deserves to be mentioned anymore, there are a new crop of talented batsman to take anyone's place who falls out of form or gets injured.

Brown is a county star but was poor when he played for England, if you're gona look for a pinch hitter at the top of the order it should be Mal Loye at Lancs

I agree that his captaincy is a valuable asset to the side - he's been Englands best captain for years by far. I do feel that if Collingwood shines as captain though, it could put a bit of pressure on Vaughan. To be honest, it might just be good for the England team having two captains - Collingwood will want to eventually aim for test captain too, and Vaughan will want to make the point that he should still be in the one day side, and he should still be the captian - healthy competition.

I agree about Butchers average. His first spell as an England regular was quite poor - but second time round, he was very solid. Certainly better than Trescothick and Strauss were before they were dropped.

Its amazing how many plays can't hack it at international level though - Like you say, Shah struggled, Ramprakash never made it, Hick never made it, Crawley was a bit hit and miss - plus we've had plenty of bowlers come and go too. I wouldn't even say that Flintoff is the finished article yet - he took a while to adapt to international cricket, then he had a brilliant phase during the Ashes, and then he went downhill again. He's certainly had more bad games for England than good games.

Yet Paul Collingwood is the opposite - he's never been particularly consistent at county level, but for England, he's saved our skin on a number of occasions with some gritty batting performances, the occasional handy bowl, and some good fielding work. He's been better for England than he has for his county.

Trescothick would be in the ODI team every time for me if he got his head right, 12 ODI hundreds & a fantastic average & strike rate, shame that he's a bit of a nutter :wall:

Trescothick would be in the ODI team every time for me if he got his head right, 12 ODI hundreds & a fantastic average & strike rate, shame that he's a bit of a nutter :wall:

Yeah, he's having a great season in county cricket this year - again, that shows how the break can do players some good. He's already had two double centuries this season - and we're a month and a half into the season :blink:

Archived