Flooding

Bjorn

Has anyone heard about the floodind we've had in yorkshire? Proper bad - it rained for about 48 hours, really really bad flooding in some areas, i wasdriving through about a metre of water in some parts!!!

MEntal last night, its stopped raining today but all roads from rotherham to sheffield are shut - so there.....ALL SCHOOLS ARE SHUT, WOOOOOO!!

Day off work for me today, get in!!

You get paid for the day off? (if so quids inahh!, not that I condone getting paid for days of.. actually f*** it money for days off ftw!! haahaahaage)

Seen it on t news, when it rains heavily round ere theres a bit of road 5 mins away thats basically a big dip at the bottom of a small hill and that floods so easiy, given its not half as bad not even an 8th as bad as what I seen on the news (or Olds I call it, unless its a newsflash as somrthings happening it is old inst it?! :P) but I can try to understand peoples anooyance of rain or in bjorno's case 'glee'.

Well (to attempt to be even slightly knowledgabel or whatever but dont really have a clue!) some people would say global warming, industrial smogs etc..? I dunno I cant stand it when its too hot me, I dont mind some rain just not too much, I should really move somwhere where its continuously nice weather but cool all year round, difficult one me (and so on into random incoherently waffling about I dunno..!!)

Haha - just get the man like Patters in a chatty mood (not hard to do) and he'll generate enough hot air to propel the dinghy along just nicely!!! ;)

haha, good call :lol:

I heard this on the news before I went to work today (unfortunately life continued as normal here <_< ) and its shocking. Glad everything's alright for you Bjorn - I'm not sure if you could cope with another disaster after GC1 last week!

On a serious note, anyone that buys one of these 'trendy' riverside apartments should surely think twice. (Yes Aza, I'm talking about you boy B) ) And any property near water. How many times have we heard about floods recently?

I have a bit to do with the River Clyde's flood management strategy at work and I dread anything like that happening here.

Apparently the water that caused problems with that dam was due to water somehow getting onto a Victorian slipway and not the modern one. This has caused water to 'eat away' at the dam itself. If it does fail, there's gonna be a huge disaster.

its really bad- the reservoir is right next to the motorway too - whic his still shut at the moment - i can't see it been opened again tonight..we'll have to wait & see!

Good shout Steve & cheers for the consideration :thumbsup:

I'm on the second floor anyhow so providing the land doesn't slip or any bricks go flying anywhere from underneath I'm a little saver (I hope).

The River Usk (apparently) has the second highest tide fluctuation in the world too (don't know what the terminology for highest tide to lowest tide is (despite studying A Level Geography)) and everything is seemingly ok here (for now). We dint have no real drama and thankfully it's all good, however I do sympathise with others who are unfortunately affected by this.

Although you're on the 2nd floor, kiss goodbye to your car, access to your building for several days and the lack of utility supplies :(

Hasn't the Severn got a stupidly big tidal range too? It basically means the height difference between low tide and high tide. Everyone all know about tides? Wanna go down the 'moon' explanation :mrgreen: B)

This my area of expertise ;) . I work for the Environment Agency so therefore have been experiencing this first hand over the past week or so. I was out to 2am last night helping our flood risk management teams on 'flood watch' operations. I actually work as a biologist for the company but due to the massive pressure on us to monitor events like this, the demands on staffing mean they request our assistance. I'm used to seeing high water levels first hand but last night was like nothing I've ever seen.

We basically had to go around checking key points on rivers to check flood valves etc. were working. We could literally see the rivers rising as we re-visited sites over the night. It got pretty touch and go on the rivers we were monitoring as flood banks were nearly breached. There was widespread flooding of fields and a number of villages.

It took me 3 times the length it usually does to get to work yesterday as roads across Notts had been closed due to flooding. Some of the idiots just amazed me as they tried to drive through flooded roads in normal cars.

I left the situation with the rivers still rising, which was a scary thought.

The situation over at Bjorns in Rotherham is the most serious in the country as Ulley reservoir is at serious risk of breaching. This is a comparatively large reservoir that if breached, would spill unquantifiable volumes of water over an already seriously flooded reservoir. There are pictures on the news of 360-degree excavators attempting to stop it breaching. Can you imagine sat below a dam thats at risk of bursting. I'd be bricking it.

The argument that this is caused by global warming is debatable and any reputable meterologist would tell you that there is not enough data on global warming to say its actually happening or not i.e. are we causing it or is it part of the natural earth climate cycle?

All pretty scary stuff and you've gotta feel sorry for people whose houses have been devastated by the flooding.

Good effort Uber :thumbsup: It must have been pretty risky yourself being near to high rising waters.

At work we receive data from riverside monitoring stations, albeit SEPA here, and its a job that goes barely recognised :thumbsup:

Excellent reading that Joel - i've been scanning the enws sites for loads of info - don't think i could have found info like that anywhere, cheers bud!!

Soudns like you had a busy night B)

It was a pretty good buzz actually. Some of the blokes pulled a corpse out of one of the rivers in Notts city centre although it was thought not to have been caused by the river levels. They reckon they find bodies that have comitted suicide every now & again.

The guy I was out with found a mannequins head last night caught up in the debris next to a sluice gate. Said his heart jumped a beat when he saw it. I reckon I'd have screamed. It had hair and everything :o !!

Bjorn we ought to get A.L.F. (of Sorella and Constellation Argo fame) back on here to let us know whats up - he lives in the heart of Sheffield doesn't he?

nah he lives in Rotherham wiv me, about 2 miles further away from the dad, further uphill so he's even safer than me :thumbsup:

Aint heard from Andy in AGES actually!

Archived