Judge Jules Live from Fistral Beach, Newquay 06-08-05

Aza

Well! What an event this was personally. I think it was one of the best outings in a very long time & I thoroughly enjoyed it (so did my girlfriend)!

After winning tickets to see Jules' show live from Fistral, Newquay we set out to drive down. The roads were so immense that its took nearly 5 hours to get there. As I was running a little behind schedule I thought I wont stop for a cuppa or grub as I just wanna get there. Turned out that I was stuck in traffic for a few hours and also needing the toilet. It was as if there was an accident or something ahead of us, but it was just mere over crowding of the roads as this time of the year is busiest (great investment to have a summer business down there).

Anyway, we arrived at around 6:30pm, grabbed the first parking space I saw closest to the beach and speed walked to the beach! The area was fenced off and was strictly ticket only. The weather was very poor, drizzly and miserable. Jules' show was broadcast from a tent. We went into the tent and there was a mini bar and it was quite empty at first. I saw Jules having words with various people, making a few phone calls & at about quarter to the hour he engaged the crowd. He came on the mic and asked how we were doing, checking out the mic and saying soon "we'll be on the air and I want you to make some noise!" It was a nice small venue and a limited crowd which made it feel a bit special! Just as the hour approached you could tell he was slightly nervous (but bloody hell, who wouldnt be??)

He kicked off the show with the "cut up mix" and already the crowd starting bopping! It was a really great crowd & very friendly too!

Jules did a great job talking on air and also keeping the crowd engaged with various poses etc... As the show progressed various freebies were thrown into the crowd, but it was hard to even get close! Finally Radio 1 put on a special guest list to see Jules later at the "Barracuda" club. The crowd had to text the colour of the shirt Jules held up. It was Yellow, so I text in, next thing I had a reply saying I won tickets on the guestlist for me and three others! I was so chuffed! At the end of the show, Jules had the all clear from London saying it went down a treat and he passed on the batton to Westwood back in the studio's I think.

His tried and tested tune was Ein Musik & MLK - Jittery Dream, which I think may be his own work as he usually does the accapella stuff. Some cracking tunes were played though, and we buzzing. Some tunes he played, which went down awesome....The mixing was well tight, and the last 30 mins of the show were quality when he went into the mix - the crowd were loving it!

White Stripes - Blue Orchid

Dark Alliance - Genetic (surprised to hear this from Jules as Halliwell has been caining this for a while)!

E. Craig - Call It A Day

Fred Baker - Electric Shock

Mike Hunt - Lick My Window

Judge Jules - The Serpent [Jan Loper Remix]

Dogzilla - Without U

I went to the front after the show finished to get my wristband as entry on the guestlist at the Barracuda club. I then was offered to go back stage with my girlfriend and had a snap with Jules. It was quality. Also collected loads of media, which Ill try post up asap (after downloading my camera). I was well chuffed to have my name bigged up on air for winning the gueslist and my mum text me whilst there saying she heard it and is listening and its sounding brilliant!

We headed to the club straight after and Jules set was on at midnite! The guy playing there before was pretty decent. Jules took charge setting up the cd-j's and began his set quite harder than usual. It was a quality time, but tiredness eventually got the better and we headed back to the car about 2:30am and I drove back to get some petrol. Most services were out of unleaded from the busy period, but luckily the next one had "premier unleaded" and despite its ridiculous price of 98p a litre I had to fill up as I was approaching the red.

We got out of newquay and I headed to the dual carriageway, which I needed to go home on and found parking spot. We parked up and kipped in the car to recharge the batteries of such an eventful, tiring day. We woke around 7am by the sunrise and long lorries passing by, started back up the car and drove home. The roads were much better and it only took 2 and half hours to get back! 8) :lol::D:)

Yes it was awesome. l'm just off to work so will report in this evening sometime. Just to say l was the first person in the tent as Jules came along and took us in as security wouldn't let me in without a ticket. Even though l had my email from Jules with me they wanted something in writing from him. How ridiculous. Must dash as l start at 1.00

Yes it was awesome.  l'm just off to work so will report in this evening sometime.  Just to say l as the first prson in the tent as Jules came along and took us in as security wouldn't let me in without a ticket.  Even though l had my email from Jules ith me they wanted something in writing from him.  How ridculous. Must dash as i srart at  1.00

Security/bouncers can be right bellends at times :evil: Can't they understand they need to balance their job with the punters having a good time

Yeh agree very much matey!

It was very very strict security (bald, skin head fat gits, think they can push you around!).

We saw a few people trying to get in with these tickets and bouncers were having none of it! Even when we tried to get back in with our tickets from the toilets (which were very very disgusting!) they were very strict.

Bouncers cant stand them! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Thats all i have to say about that when they actualy need to do something very rarley do and when they dont they just wanna reuine ur night :!:

No offence to anyone who is a bouncer :wink:

Well! What an event this was personally. I think it was one of the best outings in a very long time & I thoroughly enjoyed it (so did my girlfriend)!

That was a first class report-well done. :)

What a day! Even for me living only 35miles from the event had its problems which were made worse due to the weather deteriotating the closer we got to Newquay. In the morning we had brilliant sunshine (in Penzance) and by lunchtime it had clouded over but didn't start raining until we were almost in Newquay.

The traffic was at a standstill (due to people coming off the beaches) and it took us ages to get into the car park nearest to Fistral Beach. It was 6.15 and like you(Chris) we raced down to the Boardmasters mini village. We were waiting by the entrance to go in and these ignorant doormen wouldn't listen to me or look at the email Jules had sent me. I was just so lucky because Jules came up behind me and told the doormen that he had put 6 people on his guestlist that didn't have tickets but they said they wanted him to put it in writing :lol: as they hadn't been given a guestlist. In the end Jules just ushered us through and politely ignored them. It was brilliant the way he handled them. We were the first ones to go in and we just hung around watching Jules and chatting which was interesting.

The tent/marquee had been used prior to Jules's show and it was in a right mess. That's probably why the toilets were so awful (I was dying to use the loo but daren't in case l couldn't get back in again so l couldn't risk having a drink). :( . The atmosphere was really good which was down to Jules the way he gets everyone going. Also it has to be said that we are a friendly lot down here in Cornwall.

Aza's(Chris's) account was spot on so l can't better it-just add a few of my own experiences of the day. I bought Paul and his girlfriend Emma, along with me and Paul managed to catch one of the freebies which was a red T-shirt which he gave to Emma. Unfortunately Paul had to leave at 8.30 to go and pick DJ. Dave Pearce up from Newquay Airport and bring him back to Bertie's in Newquay and then pick him up from Bertie's at 11.00 and take him down to Club 2000 in Penzance. To think I may have stood next to you (AZA). :lol::lol: I wondered where Jules disappeared to as soon as the show had finished. Hopefully you can post up the photo which was taken or any other photos so l can see what you look like. Have you looked on the R1 site's photos from Jules's show as you may well be on one of them. I've had a look but l'm not on any even though l was up near the front for all of the show. I'm really short so l don't stand a chance unless l'm in the front row which l wasn't. :(

I gave Jules a present, a thank you for the free passes and you can see the gold coloured box which contains the present sitting up infront of him in one of the last photos on the R1 site. Anyway after the show Emma and I went next door to get something to eat but they had just stopped serving food so we had to make do with a hot chocolate as we were so cold. Paul came to pick us up after safely delivering DP to Berties and then we went to Barracuda where l showed them Jules's email and fortunately had no problems getting in. I have never been to that club before and it is quite impressive. Capacity is approx 1500. There is a Balcony which goes half way round which is awesome when you look down and see how many people there are on the dance floor. A great atmosphere (I thought) but l wasn't keen on some of the music DJ Ben Mcgovern played as it was too hard for my liking and that's why Jules's had to carry on in that vein for the first couple of tunes.

Paul had to go and pick DP up at 11.00 and take him to PZ and Emma went too so l was on my own from 11-1 and so they missed an hour of Jules set. I had a couple of drinks as l wasn't driving and also had a dance at the front of the DJ Box. However l was beginning to feel really tired as l had been up since 4.45am. Jules played a different mix of "Keeps me running" which sounded brilliant in the club. He entertained the crowd and the one tune l really love atm is "Sunrise". At that point l became quite emotional and shed a few tears. :? And Tim l thought of you when he played "Eternity". He also played a few of his own but l can't remember which ones now. It was all good. Jules finished playing at 1.45 so we decided to make a move. We were still on the dancefloor and as Jules came down flancked by bouncers a few people grabbed him and as l was close by l called his name and l shook his hand and he lent over and kissed me on my cheek. :) :oops:

We went outside and got in the car and as we drove off Jules was being filmed accross the road and we called out his name and he gave us a wave. We were well pleased. Unfortunately Paul got stopped by the police on the way home. He was driving a BMW X5 which he used to pick DP up in and belongs to the owner of Club 2000. He wanted to get back to Penzance to catch the end of DP's set and was driving too fast (90 mph) and was pulled up. It put a damper on the night because he got an instant fine of £60 and 3points on his licence. At least we had a fantastic day. A truly unbelievable day, one l won't forget.

Chrissie, you sound like you had an excellent night all round! Your review puts a different spin on normal reviews, in that it shows Jules to be the man that most of us know him to be. Whenever I've shouted to him across a heaving dancefloor, he'll always look over and wave. And what he did for you with getting in (and the kiss :D:D :wink: :wink: ) just shows he goes to these events, trying to make sure everyone has a good time.

Shame about the speeding ticket, but far worse things could have happened

I know that most of us on this board are true fans of Jules so its good to let everyone here know how caring he is. There was a disabled chap there(at the entrance gate) in a wheelchair who Jules knew by name called Billy. He was allowed through as well.

You are right there when you said it could have been worse. We could have been involved in an accident. Afterwards Emma and l agreed that in future Paul would probably be more careful.

Fortunately Paul didn't have to drive Dave Pearce back up to Newquay. He went back up to Berties in Newquay by cab. DP was staying at Bertie's in Newquay for the night as he had his show coming live from there later that day and also doing the after show from Berties. When we got back to Penzance there were police vans and cars outside Club 2000 and lots of clubbers in the road which didn't look good. We also found out only 250 turned up for his gig. The club has a capacity of aprox 600. I reckon that everyone was up in Newquay watching Jules. :lol: In all fairness l expect alot of people would be going to see him(DP) in Newquay so wouldn't do both PZ and Newquay.

I hate coppers and speed camera's!

I used a bit of photographic memory to remember where most of the speed cameras were on the way home and starting caining it driving back cos i was so tired! The roads had about 2 speed cameras there. Some other motorists were going about 100 and I just didnt wanna chance it!

Cheers for the comments Chrissie :)

The roads were immense & next time I go to Newquay at this particular time of year I will leave at an unsociable time!

The weather was not the best I admit, but being in the tent was cool! However we still had to make the trek across town to barracuda!

I had a bit of trouble getting in Barracuda even with the wrist bands i had. I had to show the staff a text I had and get them to call the guy. Luckily a few more people arrived with wristbands, which they won from R1 on other shows, such as Pete Tongs & we consolidated our case!

The toilets were foul, I had to go cos I had a pint, but after that chose not to go near those mobile toilets - they were RANK!

It was a very friendly lot down there and admittingly pleasant to be part of the crowd!

Jules did throw quite a few freebies out and I didnt have a chance cos all the lancs at the front simply snatched them away! One did land close by to my girlfriend and landed in between a man and a woman, which the woman very selfishly snatched vigoursly (so I thought no messing with her!). BTW... Chrissie I was toward the front of the show, but on the left side.

Did you see that like blow up pig/cow thing being chucked round and Jules asked the crowd to chuck it to him "On the Head Mate", which he connected with very well - LOL! They then kept throwing at him and even I got bit pissed off then, he caught it and put it on the monitor speaker, which then everyone cheered!

I too was very hungry so jumped in the first food shop on the stretch of shops, bougth a baguette and 1/2lb cheesburger!! Bet you were cosy with your hot chocolate!

I like hard dance aswell as Trance (as I play both styles) and thought that that DJ Ben guy played well. His mixing was very good and played some very techy tunes! I was expecting Jules to sort of stop the record and do some sort of intro so he could just dive into what he plays best, but he carried the mix on, which as you said Chrissie is why he started out hard!

Despite the capacity being 1500, it seemed much more busier than that! I was too tired to really dance, so had about half hour then watched from the balcony upstairs! I left after Jules' set and went back to the car to park up on the A30 dual carriageway to kip! Very uncomforting sleeping in me motor, I suffered bad cramp the next day!

I have to agree with you as l reckon there were more than 1500 in Barracuda and there was also that "chill out room" on the ground floor. I had my camcorder with me and did abit of filming (discreetly) from the balcony. I had a good view of Jules when l was on the balcony as l managed to get a seat up the front.

I'm sorry as l realise l gave you the wrong info as l thought the Barracuda was next to Fistral beach. It's a long walk to the Barracuda and it was still raining so l don't envy you. Fortunately Paul picked us up from the top off the village site and we managed to park close to the club. We grabbed a Burger King as we were starving before crossing the road to the Barracuda. By now my hair was a mess. :(:lol: which isn't a nice thing to happen when you want to look your best. 8)

I'm not that keen on Hard House/Dance and am more into Funky House,Trance and Hard Trance. I find Hard House too monotonous-however according to a report in Jules diary that is what they like in Newquay. Ben McGovern is a local DJ and Jules knows him quite well.

I saw that blow up cow/pig thing and after Jules had put it up on the speaker another one appeared from somewhere but fortunately some-one disposed of it.

I was near the front and more towards the right hand side. As time went by people came up the front and l sort of ended up going further back.

I couldn't believe the weather as it had been so nice during the morning. It would have been absolutely brilliant if the sun had been out and people could have gone out onto the balcony. It would have been like being in Ibiza. Dave Pearce had lovely weather for his show which was held in the same place. Poor Si missed out on seeing the Bikini Comp. :wink:

I got to bed at about 3.30a.m and managed to sleep until 11.30. Was still on a high and got to work for 1.00pm with a big smile on my face. :):):)

Paul does a bit of work for promoters down here and he frequently has to pick up DJ's from Newquay Airport. He recently picked Tim Westward up but he doesn't really talk about. I had a hard job trying to get information about DP from him. All he would say was that he was tired (DP) after flying from Tenerife. What a lot of use is that. :D

Great stuff Chris. You were standing right next to me soon after you first arrived in the tent-can't believe it. At the time l looked over at you and thought - yes it could be you as your girlfriend looked really lovely. You had told us all how beautiful she was. I also have some film of Jules's show but l wouldn't beable to upload it. Many thanks for uploading it all.

I forgot to ask you if you were able to have a chat to Jules when you went backstage to have a photo taken with him. Or was he pushed for time.?

Thank you for the wondeful comments Chrissy!

Did you get me pm? Im sorry that I didnt check before hand, we could've arranged to meet up! I am sorry, but I have no idea what you like, therefore would not have noticed!

Yeh I did have a very brief chat with Jules. I complimented him on such a fantastic performance and some other radio 1 guy came back and said he had word that it went down well by the sounds of the studios!

I hope you like the photo's and all anyway 8) :lol:

great reports chrissie and aza! really enjoyed reading them!

sounds like u both had a great time despite the weather, and oh how much would i love to hear matt darey -eternity in a club!!!!! what a choon!!

nice one! :)

Archived