New Apple iPhone

Aza

Have you lot heard about the launch of this phone recently? What are your thoughts/opinions etc? It sounded awesome before launch (great sales and marketing), but watching some of the video's on its demonstration, I don't like it. I suppose my opinion is slightly biased as I have yet to use it myself, however some in's and out's revealed are enough to deter me from it, for now.

_42433175_iphone-apple203.jpg

The touch pad is something I don't really like, and the details in this link should give you a better insight. The camera is surprisingly poor, and even though it has an integrated ipod, it too big and I wouldn't pay its £300 price tag (approx equivalent to the States price tag of $600).

IPHONE VITAL STATISTICS

Screen size - 3.5in (8.9cm)

Resolution - 320x480 pixels

Memory - 4GB/8GB

Wireless - Quad-band GSM/wi-fi/Bluetooth

Camera - 2 megapixels

Battery life - 5 hours talk/16 hours playback

Size - 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

Weight - 135grammes

Operating System - OS X

Not one whos hot on the latest mobile although I does like sony ericssons but not one to jump or a new phone at launhc, few years down the road if i really need to ill chnage phone but if it works and does what I want it t I'm not worried.

I think this phone is overkill really, all the fashionables will have to own one gaurennteed though, all the wags etc..

A fantastic marketing effort by Apple but in my opinion iPhone's price is far too high, and Apple is inexperienced in the mobile phone market. It just doesn't warrant the cost even when you compare it to a really high monthly UK tariff - and even then you get the phone free.

I'm a stickler for simplicity - a phone is for phoning, for making calls and sending short messages; a camera is for taking photographs and a laptop is for portable computing. So I'll stick with my £50 Nokia for a good few more years, thanks :)

for the record my "police" phone is a Nokia 6230i i think! Yes we do get issued them, sometimes airwaves can get soooo busy and control room get so stressed that sometimes it's easier to phone colleagues/PNC.

I have to say i've never been one for phones. They annoy me.

mobile phones can pipe down. I have my police phone which i also use for personal calls - the force doesnt mind as long as i dont take the piss - they pay for it!

Good to know our hard earnt taxes are going to good use keeping your social life buzzing ;);) .

The phone doesnt appeal to me. I dont have any desire at the moment for a phone/ipod combo. I think in a couple of years the technology will be a bit better to make a smaller user friendly version of this. People will buy this phone as it's fashionable.

Looks a f***ing nightmare to me. The touch screen is just asking for scratches all over it and greasy finger smears.

I have a Nokia N73, which I got on a free upgrade. I cant fault it. If I had some super-phone then it'd get trashed. I'm clumsy as f*** and am forever dropping mine as it is. The thought of paying 300 sheets for a phone makes me cringe.

Nicely put Uberdruck :)

Agree with your comments there, but even though with what you say (which is what I keep telling myself) I always end up taking my mobile out and my caring for it starts to decrease as the drinks pile on.

Ive had mine [sony ericsson k800 (same as bjorno's] a year now and got a scratch on it, which aint all that bad :)

Deffo will come down though (as with the ps3 - im hoping) and will be certain rival companies will all be along the same lines...

Good to know our hard earnt taxes are going to good use keeping your social life buzzing ;);) .

Mate, thats the tip of the iceberg. Read "Wasting Police Time" and you'll see where your taxes REALLY go...

Basically, we get £15 allowance for phones per month. I must use less than that as i have never been asked to pay for it (it comes out of your wages).

Anyway, when it comes to phones, i've always been of the "Pay As You Go" persuasion. So flash handsets (if i want them) would cost £250-300, so i've never really bothered. I cant do the whole contract thing, i've had mates that have had their finger burnt with contracts.

This is my bad boy (even though its not nearly as big as this image)...

htc_p3600.jpg

It's totally essential to the work/life balance and I don't think I could revert back to a non-touch screen phone. I think the iPhone is great on paper but it's functionality is pants at best. I was offered to be one of the first to get one but having heard about it's poor performance by US friends, I declined. Like the iPod, it'll take a few versions of the phone until they get it right. Shame really as my PowerMac and Macbook Pro were looking forward to welcoming a little brother to my Mac family!!!

I always end up taking my mobile out and my caring for it starts to decrease as the drinks pile on.

I'm like that, you just get more careless with your phone with the more alcohol you consume. I believe I've even tried a spot of outdoor bowls with mine over a pedestrian crossing... it didn't roll but merely disintegrated :blink:

I'm like that, you just get more careless with your phone with the more alcohol you consume. I believe I've even tried a spot of outdoor bowls with mine over a pedestrian crossing... it didn't roll but merely disintegrated :blink:

They are a nightmare - I've lost count how many times Simon Patterson's lost his phone as the level of vodka is raised in his system!!!

o2 are the provider leading the way to snare a deal with Apple when it is released in the UK... Even though I detest the iPhone itself, since o2 are now a Spanish company and since I'm on o2 in the UK anyway as well, I'm all for it! Should bring in a nice wadge of money and help create a another stable client base if this is the case :)

Archived