Glasses frame broken :(

JasonB

I dont have a backup pair of glasses either, so can see sod all clearly (m 12-23 inches away from the screen just to be able to read what Im typing!) and its kinda hurting my eyes a bit aswell, depending how things go/cant be sorted out I may not be about much the enxt few days.

Normal service will be resuemd asasp

Ditto!

Things are kinda sorted now, big releif I tell ya guv!, I panicked big time.

Ended up having to have a eye test and new glasses on the way, although the opticians were kind enough to find an old frame and fit my lenses into they as a stop gap till I get thew new uns.

For you guys who can see fine think yourselves lucky!

I don't like the idea of contacts at all, has to be glasses for me.

I don't like the idea of contacts at all, has to be glasses for me.

I was the same for a long time, but haven't looked back (no pun intended) since getting contacts. Silly things like getting your hair cut and being able to see what the barber is doing in the mirror, walking into a hot pub on a cold evening and not getting them knocked off by some idiot dancing like a headless chicken are just some of the finer points about contacts :thumbsup:

Lucky you Steve, I'm too blind for contacts... Long sighted and I also have astigmatism so my choice of contacts is limited to gas permiable otoric lenses which hurt like hell for 3 weeks or so until you get used to them... no chance!!!

If you can wear contacts, but are worried about them - then I recommend going for it and giving them a try. You won't regret it.

Until 8 months ago, the only time I wore my glasses was when I was driving, or going to a football/cricket match so that I can see the scoreboard from long distance.

Anyway, I bent my glasses by accident 8 months ago, and when I bought my new ones, there was a free contact lens test and trial - so I decided to try it. Until that point, i'd always stayed clear of trying contacts because I was absolutely convinced that I wouldn't get on with them, because I have senseitive eyes. I only have to get a slight speck of dust in them, and then they'll water like mad for ages.

Anyway, I went for the trial, and amazingly, I got on well with the disposable contacts.I didn't even know I was wearing them. They're really soft, and your eyes don't really need to adapt. Now and again, it might feel like you've got an eyelash in your eyes for the first 20 seconds or so, but after that, it goes away and then you're fine.

I used to hate wearing my glasses - hence why I only wore them when driving. I'm not a confident person at the best of times, and with glasses, I felt even worse - but now, since i've had contacts, I wear them regularly when clubbing, watching sport, driving - and just generally going out.

Definately worth thinking about. You don't feel a thing!

If its the putting your fingers in your eyes that bothers you, then you soon get past that too - I never likes that idea, but you just get on with it. You only have to make a slight contact with your eye - its not even as bad as getting an eyelash out of your eye. Easy :thumbsup:

I also have astigmatism in one of my eyes and have had to upgrade the type of lenses I wear, but the general cost of lenses has come down so they're still cheaper than when I got them 10 or so years ago.

If you actually make contact with your eye, you're doing somethign wrong! The only things you touch are your eyelids and the lens itself. In effect, the lens protects your fingers from touching your eyes. I was dead scared at getting them at first, but haven't looked back. I just hope that one day I'll have the cash to pay for laser eye treatment.

Interesting stuff. Like Jason I'd be completely screwed without my glasses. I've always thought about trying contacts but never got round to it. A few years ago I didn't wear my glasses much, only when i really had to but now I wear them 24/7 and its so weird not having them on. I think before i was worried that getting contacts would mean I'd constantly rely on them to see and my eyes would get lazy and thus get worse. Not sure if this is true or not but the fact is that now I wear my glasses from the minute i get up to when I go to bed, so wearing contacts would make no difference in that sense.

I'm seriously overdue an eye test so I think I'll ask about contacts when i finally get round to it

I also wear glasses and can relate to all of you, i also am seriously overdue for an eye test and update! i know my eyes have got worse. I also dont wear contacts as when i was alot younger i tried and couldnt put them in as the thought of touching my eyes i kept shutting them, that was about 9 years ago now and throw away one's etc are around now, i must get round to trying again. I am short sighted and play football without my glasses, and also used to go out alot without them on which has led to some pretty embarrasing moments. You can imagine not being able to see much as well as being pretty drunk and needing the toilet, hence the occasional mix up with the ladies and gents!!

Before today I hadnt had an eye test for four years and my right eyes changed just slightly since luckily.

Ive always lacked some confidence regardless of weather I wore glasses or not so it doesnt really bother me much.

I used to wear glasses up until july last year when i had laser eye surgery.

Best thing I ever did. Waking up in the morning and being able to see clearly again, as soon as your eyes open is an amazing feeling. One I hadn't felt since I was a kid.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's got bad vision. It's worth a few days discomfort in your eyes after the surgery.

Is laser eye surgery dangerous? What if the guy knocks the laser during treatment whilst he's being passed a sandwich?

"ohp, sorry there lad, just burnt half your eye out there" :confused:

Is laser eye surgery dangerous? What if the guy knocks the laser during treatment whilst he's being passed a sandwich?

"ohp, sorry there lad, just burnt half your eye out there" :confused:

it's not that dangerous, no more than any other procedure.

if they do burn your eye out, a new one grows back in its place, so i was told.

I have often thought about laser surgery, i am always interested in hearing about it but im uneasy at that 1 in 10 chance that it could knacker your eyesight. A few questions Gregg:

Dont they put clamps to hold your eyelids back?

How long does the surgery take?

How long after surgery before you can do things again?

There are actually 2 different procedures. 1 is more painful than the other (the one i had unluckily enough) and is called LASEK. and the other is LASIK

The difference depends on the thickness of the skin on your eye. When its peeled back and operated on, the LASEK procedure involves placing the skin back over the eye to heal. This took about 4 days for me to return to normal, the worst day was the third when everything was just a blur.

The LASIK procedure is just skin peeled away from your eye and left like that to heal. A friend of mine had this and it took about two days to heal.

The LASEK procedure was discomforting, your eyes go red and keep watering, you can't keep your eyes open they're that sensitive to light. so i just stayed in bed and listened to tunes for 4 days! I can't stand things going in my eye or seeing other people prod around in them, so the op itself was a really big deal for me.

They don't use clamps a la Clockwork Orange to hold your eye open. Its a clear plastic block which they place on your eye socket. It's impossible to close your eye, but that's not too discomforting.

It took a full week off work before i could see properly again, but it took a full 12 weeks before they were happy I could be discharged and didn't need any more checkups.

Archived