Modern day comedians vs Old Skool comedians

Briggsy

So, after my whinging about Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais being awful and not in the slightest bit funny, which era of comedian would you say is the best?

These days, most comedians rely on swearing, crudeness, insults or controversy to try to be funny. Bernard Manning is one prime example, Roy Chubby Brown is another. I'm not a prude at all - but I just don't see why comedians feel the need to rely on that to be funny. It should be their jokes that do the work for them.

Tommy Cooper is one of my all time comedy favourites - nowadays, teenagers wouldn't find him funny - in fact, they'd probably thing he's a cheesy, cringeworthy old buffoon. Granted, some of his jokes now sound quite cringeworthy - but there's no denying that the bloke is a comedy genius. It wasn't so much his jokes - it was more about his whole act and the way he acted dumber than he was. He didn't reply on controversy, crudeness or foul language to be funny - he genuinely was funny.

I think the best comedians at the moment are Jethro, Ken Dodd and Lee Evans - yes, they swear (Apart from Ken Dodd), maybe a little insulting at times - but the difference between them and Gervais/Carr is that they can be equally as funny without being insulting or swearing. Lee Evans is funny with his actions and body language (similar to Tommy Cooper in a way - he's an act aswell as a comedian). Jethro is just an old skool comedian which has kept up to date, and continues to be funny now. Ken Dodd is also very humourous, and has a bit of an act too. He's admired by people of all ages.

So, in your opinion, which is your favourite comedian era - the days of Tommy Cooper, Stan Boardman and Ken Dodd, the cross-over days of modern comedy and old-style comedy by the likes of Lee Evans and Jethro, or the modern day era of Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr?

The same goes for old sitcoms really - i'd rather watch the likes of Only Fools & Horses, Open All Hours and One Foot In The Grave than the likes of Men Behaving Badly, etc.

You can't beat the oldies.

Opinions?

Peter Kay is an example of old-school comedy being brought up to date with new style jokes & humour, think it's no coincidence that he is so popular with everyone from my grandad to my younger brother, he was a mass appeal.

Roy Chubby Brown & Bernard Manning are old school imo, they represent an older era where racism & such was the norm, there are umpteenth working mans comics with this kind of routine & i don't feel they used it to launch themselves, it was more just the way they were brought up in Newcastle & Manchester council estates & then in the cae of Manning his time in the army.

Tommy Cooper is a legend, even though his material is a little dated it still makes me laugh out loud, his whole persona was what made him so funny & some of his 'magic' tricks are up there with the funniest things you can watch.

Some comedians like Bill Hicks & alike from America are fantastic without adhering to the normal conventions of stand-up & this is also something I think is great, at the end of the day for me it's all about how funny i find an act or set from a comic, i don't care how tabboo or 'cool' it is, if it makes me laugh it gets my vote.

Fawlty Towers - no question!

Nothing ranks better than Basil every time who gets so exceptionally stressed in situations of his own making. If you follow it all properly you really feel for him as he runs around like a headless chicken trying to do everything at once, but ultimately digs himself further into uncomfortable situations. If he doesn't like a guest either, his sarcasm is just beyond comparison to anything you hear today.

Shame there were only 12 episodes ever made.

Shame there were only 12 episodes ever made.

Sometimes too many series are made. I think Fawlty Towers would have lost its appeal if a 3rd series had have come about. Quality sitcom that I can still watch time and time again.

Alan Partridge, no question. Very dry humour.

See, Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge is someone else that I don't find particularly funny. At the most, he might be able get the occasional chuckle out of me - but i'm never going to burst into hysterics over his jokes.

Sometimes too many series are made.

I agree. Only Fools & Horses was a good example. They had two episodes too many. The last two Christmas specials were nothing more than average, whereas the rest of Only Fools & Horses are comedy genius.

Only Fools & Horses was also better during the Uncle Albert era. I wasn't as keen on "Grandad".

The BBC in the late 80's and early 90's couldn't be faulted! Catherine tate is absolutely f***ing awful and a sure fire sign that there are women in control at the BBC! and they wouldn't give us another series of Bottom! (sorry to all you female readers!)

I've just watched all my Red Dwarf DVD's round my mates. Blackadder was another series that was quality, Only Fools and Horses being just about the best all round family programme anyone could watch.

Frank Skinner I would say is my favourite comedian. he's got another stand up tour coming up towards the end of the year and I went on his last one back in 1997. I don't think I've ever laughed so much in just over an hour. I'd recommend you all to go if old-school comedy is your thing.

Hopefully his stand up won't have changed over the 10 years he's been on the TV... :)

Catherine tate is absolutely f***ing awful

I agree! "Am I Bovvered" is as annoying as hell and is blatantly a rip-off of Vicky Pollard. That character is the bets of a s*** bunch.

One comedian I rate VERY highly though is Bill Bailey. I saw him at the Warwick Arts Centre a couple of years ago as part of his "Part Troll" tour. His jokes were top notch, and he has great skill as a musician too.

He has a very funny way of working, he starts off a joke, drifts towards another joke and another direction for 20 minutes or so, and then when you've forgotten about his original joke, he comes back to it with a bang and has you howling. He's a very clever comedian - and you have to listen to him thoroughly because if you switch off, you lose his jokes.

Very under-rated.

I agree. Bill Bailey is my No1 for sure. He's a nutter. Got his stand up DVD's. I think he was the best thing about Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

The topics on his stand up shows are just mental. He's so quick minded aswell.

Catherine Tate is awful, your right on that one. The whole show is just a repeat as the previous one but with different scenes.

I'll throw my hat in with Bill Bailey - there's a live show of his on YouTube and it's great. A very talented musician as well... near the end he suggests the beeping of the BBC 10 O'clock News is inspired from clubbing, and thus proceeds to make his own Trance remix of it, hilarious!

I'll throw my hat in with Bill Bailey - there's a live show of his on YouTube and it's great. A very talented musician as well... near the end he suggests the beeping of the BBC 10 O'clock News is inspired from clubbing, and thus proceeds to make his own Trance remix of it, hilarious!

Thats taken from the 'Part Troll' DVD. An absolute must-see! The 'Cosmic Jam' DVD is also a belter and features a bonus DVD of 'Bewildered' (another tour of his).

Musically he is very talented.

Yeah, thats from Part Troll - genius!

I saw him live, and a group of 5 people came in 10 minutes late. he took the piss out of them, and said I suppose i'll have to start again just for you lot - and guess what! He started again! :lol:

I was in bits the 1st time I watched this on my DVD. Looking at your washing up through a part-submerged vegetable tray (from your fridge)???? Where the f*** did that come from?

Using music so heavily in his shows is quite novel aswell compared to most comedians. 'Drum & Bush' is a good one :mrgreen:

Archived