TuNeeeee

By law ever track should be over 10 minutes long, well proggy stuf anyhows! L vee strikes again

Proggy stuff maybe, but no way for everything else. No tune needs to be over 7 minutes long. A minute and a half on the intro and outro to mix with, and four minutes for the main tune.

If a tune can't get to the point in 4 minutes, its not worth bothering with in my opinion.

I'm converting my vinyl to CD at the moment - and i'm surprised at the amount of tunes i'm editing down to a more reasonable length.

For example, Agnelli & Hudson - Hudson Street. I've chopped that down from 11 minutes to 7 and a half - and it hasn't affected the tune at all. Why did it really need to be 11 minutes long - it's completely pointless.

Proggy stuff maybe, but no way for everything else. No tune needs to be over 7 minutes long. A minute and a half on the intro and outro to mix with, and four minutes for the main tune.

If a tune can't get to the point in 4 minutes, its not worth bothering with in my opinion.

I'm converting my vinyl to CD at the moment - and i'm surprised at the amount of tunes i'm editing down to a more reasonable length.

For example, Agnelli & Hudson - Hudson Street. I've chopped that down from 11 minutes to 7 and a half - and it hasn't affected the tune at all. Why did it really need to be 11 minutes long - it's completely pointless.

i prefer tunes to be about 5;30ish...i do have a low boredom threshold though sadly.

It depends whether or not the track is worth ten minutes, if there is something constantly going on, be it build up or a mellow section prior to a break, then it's 100% justified.

I don't think that there's any truth in the statement 'a tune should only be x minutes long' or alike, if anyone cut down the Original Mix of Bedrock 'Heaven Scent' from it's original 10mins + lenght they would be destroying the track, Sasha 'Xpander' is as long as it is and it cannot be made better by slicing sections out, some tracks need editing yes, others simply do not

I agree with Tom on this one. I rarely play anything myself thats 10 minutes or longer but there are certain tunes that are brilliant and that simply cannot be and do not need to be cut down.

Its an interesting debate about converting the old vinyls to CD as well. Personally I have started doing this too but have not edited any of them because I am used to them being that length. What I mean is I bought the tunes cos they were good as they were and never had an option of editing before getting CDJs. I used to do long mixes sometimes or start mixing a minute into the track perhaps depending on what i mixed out of, a good example being pistolwhip which i often mixed from the point after the 2-3 minutes of beats at the beginning as it was just too long and the other tune would always run out before it got anywhere.

with new tunes I do a fair few edits because now that I have the option I will buy tunes that I see have got potential even if I dont like some elements because I know I can try making my own re-edit. I would just find it odd to edit my old tunes though and I have always found ways of mixing them so that the main part of the tune is only in for say 4/5 minutes as Briggsy says. With hudson street for example i probably mixed out of it between breakdowns, the first break being enough of the tune to make an impact in the set.

There is however as Tom says no particular ideal track length, just no room in my sets for long tunes that are boring.

I think the obsession with editing tracks can also go too far - clipping tracks to 4 minutes long and sending the crowd into a frenzy is all well and good but you cannot possibly maintain (or want) that maximum energy throughout - it's tiring.

I think people do not have the patience they once had - the ebbs and flows of a set give you wicked highs but with time to recuperate.

I think people do not have the patience they once had - the ebbs and flows of a set give you wicked highs but with time to recuperate.

I agree totally with that, I think that as a clubber you want the short little beat section where there is a slight lul, to be clubbing solidly for a whole night is impossible, the slight lull allows you to grab a word with someone or whatever.

I think in essence it's why DJs like Eddie can only play short sets, after an hour & a half or so everyone's nackered

Everyone knows my hatred of 2 minute radio edits. Conversely, when the moment is right I'm one of those people who treat them like women - I get immense pleasure in giving it a chance, giving it time, and letting a track run its course to show its full glory in undressing itself :blush:

One of the better examples of this was Ferry opening his mix on Jules show from some Cafe bar in Bolton a few years ago - he started with Masters & Nickon feat. Justine Suissa - 'Out There' - it had been out for a bit and been renamed about 65,000 times (I think the original was called Rain of Emotion, the release actually being an instrumental Remix by Robert Nickson, but anyway) - and after 5 minutes of it playing, at the natural breakdown, instead of mixing out into a new tune which everybody did, Ferry left it, and we were treated to the track dismantling itself before another vocal section again - the crowd loved it.

I agree that more often than not it doesn't work, doesn't match the atmosphere, but the moment at that point was just perfect to leave it going... if you time the first track of Ferry's set, it just touches 8 minutes. Brilliant :)

i remember the old Lange productions. Basically both halves of the tune were the exact same - happiness happening, el nino, everytime, everyday, every moment for example. With the longer tunes i tend to mix out of them early.

the only track i thought that i would play in full over 9 minutes long is the Tiesto mix of Delerium.

the only track i thought that i would play in full over 9 minutes long is the Tiesto mix of Delerium.

You've hit the nail right on the head there dude. I totally agree.

Sasha & Emerson - Scorchio (Full Length Edit) is one of those tracks that just goes on and on. Its an absolute belter of a track but your just egging it to hurry up. Its 9:43 long. Zzzzzzzz.

I hated it when I bought Blockster - Grooveline and the Matt Darey Mix fades out at the end, what a bunch of w***ers Ministry are for that

I later found that the promo has the full length mix on it though, yay :D

I hate when they do this too. Got a couple of tracks that fade at the end:

Oakenfold - Southern Sun and Mauro Picotto - Lizard (Megavoices Remix)

Does anyone know (maybe you do Simon) if there are full length versions of these which dont fade, on promos maybe?

I would rip it to mp3 and then reconstruct an outro through loops, perhaps stealing from the intro, but that's a lot of effort.

Aha, well I have actually done this with mauro picotto lizard, but it fades out on a bit with a cool little synthy bit which just comes in on the fade and its that part that I remember Jules and other DJ's mixing out of but it went on for longer as they must have had the full mix. The re-edit I've done does allow for mixing out of the tune much easier but it would still be good if there was a full mix.

There's actually quite a few of promo mixes which aren't the same as the released versions... I hate edits and fadeouts, they're totally unhelpful!

Friends of Matthew - 'Out There' (Lange Remix) -- there's an extra 8 bars of instrumental breakdown and it's just longer generally than on the Serious release. Also if you go buy Chicane's album "Behind The Sun" you'll find that the excellent 'Saltwater' is actually missing a little chunk of extra instrumental in the middle which is on the original 12" - why they did that I've no idea, there's plenty of space on the CD...

There's actually quite a few of promo mixes which aren't the same as the released versions... I hate edits and fadeouts, they're totally unhelpful!

Friends of Matthew - 'Out There' (Lange Remix) -- there's an extra 8 bars of instrumental breakdown and it's just longer generally than on the Serious release. Also if you go buy Chicane's album "Behind The Sun" you'll find that the excellent 'Saltwater' is actually missing a little chunk of extra instrumental in the middle which is on the original 12" - why they did that I've no idea, there's plenty of space on the CD...

hence why a few months ago i was asking if anyone had the promo of this. Not the serious release with the edit on it. i agree. very annoying.

Archived