Northerners

Robin

Northerners may be friendly and such but they're soooooo f ucking lazy for the most part - urgency doesn't seem to strike the radar!!!

And southerners are too busy to give anybody the time of day! Maybe Midlanders have got the balance right :confused: :mrgreen:

And southerners are too busy to give anybody the time of day! Maybe Midlanders have got the balance right :confused: :mrgreen:

I'm a Londoner who moved to Cornwall to escape the rat race, traffic jams and people who don't give a dam about anyone apart from themselves. I have a much better quality of life down here despite earning a lot less money than l did in London. I enjoy going up to London to visit family and friends but l wouldn't want to move back.

Also l have the best of both worlds as in the summer it is very busy and in the winter it is much quieter but there's still plenty to do and people talk to one another!

I love this North - South thing. I'm from Greater Manchester so I'm a northerner but have lived in the south too whilst at uni. I never got on with a lot of the 'southerners' but that wasn't because they were geographically different from me but coz they were simply a bunch of pric*ks. They did call my bunch of mates (from the north & midlands) the 'Northerners' and hated us for it. That amused me.

There is always so much made of this divide.

I remember Ministry/Mixmag covering this in the early 00's. They said that the south of England listened to house music whereas the north listened to hard house & trance? Thats a bit specific. Ok London had a lot of house music nights around this time and the north had the likes of Sundissential et al. but what about the midlands? That was the stronghold of both hard house & trance. How does this fit in to this scenario :confused: ??

How about 'E-Motion - Naughty North/Sexy South'

hhm248.gif

That set the record straight didn't it!!

I'm the opposite of Uber, being a staunch Southerner but going to Uni in the North. Mix that up with a year in Spain where the pace of life is even slower, and my original roots being from the Orkney Islands (I'm not joking) and that makes me a bit of an oddball. A well-rounded one though, I hope :)

You get the North/South divide in most countries though - Germany, Italy, Spain to name but a few - having seen it myself whilst visiting friends!

Personally, I find people friendlier going in a diagonal direction from south-west to north east.

People in Cornwall, Devon & Dorset - and surrounding areas are so friendly and laid back - but then as you move up the country, I tend to find Geordies and Yorkshire people more friendly.

People from the South-East and North-West tend to be a bit rude and always seem like they're looking for an argument -especially people from Blackpool, Liverpool and south London (no offence to people from those places - not everyone is like that, but it seems the vast majority are).

I'm from the midlands - and i find everyone here a bit anto-social too. You can guarantee if you go into Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Leicester or Nottingham, then someone will be looking for trouble.

The entire of Britain has good areas & bad areas within each small community, to idealise southerners & despise northerners or vice versa isn't really as cut & dry as the old stereotypes dictate.

Within Wolverhampton there are areas like Sunny Sedgley which are friendlier than most places but still have a few idiots, then there are the rougher places like Blakenell which is generally full of scumbags but will have some decent folk aswell.

Have found people friendly accross the country

I've kind of realized I'm quite out of touch with the UK at the moment, and at the risk of sounding silly, feel like an alien. I've got out of one potentially dangerous scrape before in my home town by pretending to be foreign, but there are a lot of idiots out there and it gives the sense we're outnumbered!

I've kind of realized I'm quite out of touch with the UK at the moment, and at the risk of sounding silly, feel like an alien. I've got out of one potentially dangerous scrape before in my home town by pretending to be foreign, but there are a lot of idiots out there and it gives the sense we're outnumbered!

Tim, sadly most people are idiots to a certain extent. I'd not worry too much about being out of touch with UK affairs, you ain't missed much. :(

Archived