Good job-seeking websites...

Briggsy

Does anyone know of any good websites that show jobs that are available within certain areas?

The Job Centre Plus website is s***. You tell it you want to look for jobs as a full time brain surgeon earning £22,000 per year near Coventry, and instead, it lists part time Tree Surgeon jobs earning £11,000 per year in Kings Lynn, Cape Town and Brisbane.

I've desperately gotta get out of my job - I cannot work with my boss for one day longer, and can't wait until i've finished my computer course next year.

12 years working with that twat is quite enough! :angry:

The Job Centre Plus website is s***. You tell it you want to look for jobs as a full time brain surgeon earning £22,000 per year near Coventry, and instead, it lists part time Tree Surgeon jobs earning £11,000 per year in Kings Lynn, Cape Town and Brisbane.

ahahaha i laughed hard at that. sorry. looks like its the local paper or agencies for you? have you ever tried packing cheese? :ph34r::mellow:

Some are local-biased, but there might be a few handy links in this lot when you have a spare evening to trawl through where you select industry-based career options. Clearly, having never held down an office job before (in this country at least), I cannot comment on how good they are. More links are better than nothing though I hope!

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/recruit.htm

I honestly don't think the internet has yet cracked it on the job front. I applied for loads of jobs online about 18 months ago and all I got was a lot of spam. However, I did get my current job from an online site, but it was directly taken from the Council's website. I suspect many jobs on TotalJobs, Monster, etc don't exist. They just want your details and who knows what they do with them. Local papers still are a good resource for jobs imo, or like Robin says, try company websites. Good luck mate; I know what its like to hate your job.

Briggys mate, also try www.reed.co.uk, they are pretty decent.

I too hear you what your saying about the job - it's been tough for me since graduating trying to get something.

I still feel unsure just exactly what I want to do. I mean I want an IT career (for now at least) but not sure exactly what role, I think I am open to any role except programming. I have been targetting companies specifically and filling out their online applications for grad roles - they took so long. The word count nearly equates to a 3000 word essay on most questions and it sucks when you just get a polite email saying no sorry - you dont have much experience...

Nevertheless, I am still plodding away. I think Monster is a good site too. I have had a few agencies call me up for roles, but they are too far and the salary sucks to consider relocating or at least commute.

Those online application forms are bastards to fill in - they take hours! You can recycle material though between companies, as some of the questions are quite similar and you only need to tweak your staple answer :)

lads, join the police. Job for life and its a lot of fun...apart from working weekend night shifts (i've had to cut back on the old djing - which i had to declare to my inspector, that i do DJ in "nightclubs where there's loads of class a")

Sod that, no offence, but most coppers in general irritate me. They've no interest in helping people - they wear the uniform just to feel like they've got a bit of power. They're so arrogant (mainly the younger ones). The "old-skool" coppers are the best - they're the ones that genuinely want to help.

When we needed help a few years ago after serious problems with our neighbours, we got absolutely no help at all. When my car was broken into, it took them three days to come out - and then said I should have left it at the scene of crime (a public car park, in town, with my door lock smashed - great idea that - so more people can come along and help themselves to my belongings...).

Then there's the coppers that drive past you, go half a mille down the road, and then U-turn and whizz back down the road at 50mph to catch up with you - then pull you over for doing 5mph over the speed limit - even though they've just done 20mph over the limit to catch you up.

I'm not saying all coppers are like that - there are some genuine good guys out there, but on the whole, my confidence in the police is low now. I wouldn't help them any more because they don't seem to want to help the public. I certainly couldn't work with them.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys - i'll take a look at those. Cheers :D

Archived