Newspapers

Quadrant

Which principal newspaper do you regularly buy?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

El Mundo or El Pais is what I've been reading, and the Spanish "Metro" as well - all differing in political and ideological stances but the staple across what is largely a nation who do not read newspapers! ("Hola" magazine easily came first in a poll of best sold newspapers/magazines recently... :confused:)

Over in the UK though I buy the Telegraph, basically because they have the best separate Sports section pull-out of any paper! The Sunday Times is good for all the extra stuff you get like the Motoring and Money sections, but it's a bit of a hassle lugging the whole lot from the Co-op... and you never get time to read it all anyway. When I'm travelling by train though I always by the Mirror, because it makes me laugh and is stupidly easy to read :)

Usually they is a paper lef in our canteen for the staff & 90% of the time it's The Sun which is as Briggsy said good for sports coverage & funny items, the gym I use also has a free paper service they use the Daily Mail which is generally rubbish but has some great feature columnists in the shape of Des Kelly & Littlejohn.

I now (when I can be arsed and got some £'s) by The Times, although I have been adviced to read the Financial Times (FT) as apparently it is the 'paper read by those who make the world go round'... Only thing is Im not spending nearly £1.50 a day on it! I did try reading it online, but even there you gotta pay or acces is limited to a few sections only...

Very nice choice there Robin :) Bluuurrpp to all those who think these papers are for grandad's!

Totally agree with you though, all are great reads, although I don't buy the FT as often as I like - you must have a few quid to spare everyday then ;)

Very nice choice there Robin :) Bluuurrpp to all those who think these papers are for grandad's!

Totally agree with you though, all are great reads, although I don't buy the FT as often as I like - you must have a few quid to spare everyday then ;)

Thanks Aza - I'm a firm believer in reading educated and intelligent takes on current affairs. It's important that people are clued up about as many facets of life as possible and you don't really get a balanced synopsis of life from the likes of the red tops! One of the only ways in life to become well rounded as a person is to be well read and well travelled!

I usually read the Mirror if I am working at lunchtime for all the crap that's in it. For a more sophisticated option I usually buy the Guardian or Times. Glad they are both compact now, although I read the Independent on the plane home from travels (got upgraded so you get a newspaper, big whoop!) and that was ok, very right wing though.

I usually read the Mirror if I am working at lunchtime for all the crap that's in it. For a more sophisticated option I usually buy the Guardian or Times. Glad they are both compact now, although I read the Independent on the plane home from travels (got upgraded so you get a newspaper, big whoop!) and that was ok, very right wing though.

Is that where you were upgraded to? The very right wing?!?!

I can't see the point in spending £1.50 per day on a newspaper, when we hear the news on TV for free morning, noon and night.

If people don't know the days news by 6pm in the evening, without even buying a newspaper, they must be deaf. I get tired of switching the Radio and TV and finding the news on at least one channel every time I switch over.

I can't see the point in spending £1.50 per day on a newspaper, when we hear the news on TV for free morning, noon and night.

If people don't know the days news by 6pm in the evening, without even buying a newspaper, they must be deaf. I get tired of switching the Radio and TV and finding the news on at least one channel every time I switch over.

There's so much more in a newspaper than there is on TV/Radio/Online I think. Far more debate and fact.It also helps improve one's spelling, vocabulary and grammar.

Oh. Looks like I'm the only nerd to buy the guardian :confused: . I dont actually buy it anymore as I see them as bit of a waste of paper. The guardian on a Saturday has a reasonable sports section and it has a TV guide in so if I was to buy one weekly, it would be this one.

I can't see the point in spending £1.50 per day on a newspaper.

I agree with you there to an extent, but what Robin has also said kind of supported by Steve is that in papers you tend to get more than what you would on the TV and Radio, esp in the FT, you got articles written by the likes of John Kay - a leading economist - these provide fascinating insights into business and strategies etc and prove most useful reads (if I can get my head around them). I will shortly be subscribing to the FT and hoping to save 50% over a quarterly period...

The Times, as mentioned is also a good read in its compact form...

I read The Guardian during the week and sometimes get The Observer on Sundays. Not only do i find it has the bst content out of all the papers but i find it has the best layout out of all the papers. It has an excellent Technology pullout on Thursdays and i like the impartialy of the journalism. Its nothing like the Daily Mail which is a joke of a paper; i'd rather read The Star.

Thats a short-sighted comment. I find News Channels very poor for content. They concentrate on a few big stories, replaying commentaries, videos and interviews.

Archived