the JJA footy thread

Moonman

so then, the new season starts at last. I for one am very excited about it. Firstly for my own team, Man City, i like to think that we are heading into a new era with new owners, more stability, new manager and some much needed new players. I'd like to think a top 6 finish is within our grasp. It's been too long since the gold old Keegan days. I'm happy with Sven's appointment, Big Sam would have been the first choice but overall, i'm happy with decisions made.

While todays game against West Ham wasnt the prettiest, i'll take 3 points away from home thank you very much, also we actually scored, two new signings too! - something missing from the last season at least.

Anyway, i predict an interesting season ahead. I for one dont think Nani and Anderson were worth the money than United shelled out on them, so how they perform will be interesting. Nani is very young though, definitely one for the future.

i can see the top being between Manchester United and Chelsea (again) i feel however, that provided they get a good enough start, Liverpool could be strong contenders and a surprise team could be Sunderland. I think Roy Keane has the potential to become a fantastic manager. Sunderland could be difficult to break down like they were in the Championship.

More exciting however, is the bottom. i can see Wigan, Reading, West Ham, Fulham all struggling this season along with possibly Middlesbrough.

I know its far too early in the season to tell, but it'd be nice to see some guesses for relegation and champions and see if anyone gets it right come the end of the season.

Anyway, whats your team, what are your thoughts? i'm always interested in a bit of footie debate!

Also, we're not only interested in the Prem, it was nice to see the mighty Posh (peterborough united) win 3-0 today in League 2.

I fancy Liverpool to finish second. They'll finish runners-up to Man Utd.

Again, I don't think the Chelsea players will work together as a team - so they'll struggle again.

I think Sven will be a huge flop at Man City. This guy is tactically useless and his decisions baffle me. Statistically, he's one of Englands best managers - but performance-wise, he's one of the worst I can ever remember seeing. Man City will play some highly boring football. Yes, his past club record is good, but some of that dates back to 20 years when he had a point to prove, he was young, and hungry. Now he's just a money grabber. Those were also big clubs - and i'm afraid Man City just aren't in the same financial position as Sven's previous clubs. He'll have a tough job.

Newcastle will be the surprise package this season - Allardyce will work his magic there again, however, they'll do the same as Bolton have in previous years and finish 5th or 6th. 4th perhaps if someone struggles - but they won't be able to compete with Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Fighting to stay up will be Fulham, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Derby - and I wouldn't rule Man City out. However, Derby, Sunderland and Fulham will be the three that go in my opinion. Derby are doomed from the start, Sunderland will fight hard but still go down, and Fulham will be their usual rubbish - they should have gone for the last 2 years but have somehow stayed up.

Newcastle will win a cup too - probably the Worthington/Carling/Whatever its called these days cup, but I wouldn't rule them out of the FA cup either.

Everton for the Premier League, FA Cup, and UEFA Cup this year -_-

No I'm not from Liverpool or anywhere near there, but I've always supported them since I was very small after my big brothers told me to choose a team or they'd beat me up, so I picked Everton and just stuck with it :)

Yesterday pissed me off beyond measure, we thoroughly deserved to beat Watford & would have done but for those 2 stupid fouls late on.

5pm k/off is not a good idea either, it meant I had the hardship of sitting in the pub for far too long & ended up rather intoxicated, suffice to say after something of an all-dayer todays shift at work wasn't too much fun

• 2 weeks later...
I think Man City will be the surprise tickets this season... does Chrissie support a football team I wonder?

I'd say Chrissie supports........................................................................

................Liverpool

i had a bad feeling about our game at Arsenal today, i'd have settled for a point there. I cant remember the last time we won at the arsenal...disappointing day, still they only got one past us, last year that would have been 4!

I'd say Chrissie supports........................................................................

................Liverpool

I use to support Brentford- up the Bees....................................... :lol:

I use to go with my brother when l lived in West London but since moving down here l don't really support any local teams as Plymouth is 80 miles away.

People down here are more into Rugby. BTW l don't know the first thing about the game.

Archived