It's back for another year... The DJ Mag top 100

Robin

Hey folks,

Hope you're all having fun! Just wanted to let you know that the DJ Mag top 100 poll has begun so please CLICK HERE and begin casting your votes. If possible, please spread the word to your friends, whether they're into dance music or not. I also want to ask a small favour from you all. Please place Simon Patterson on your lists or the lists your friends make. It is vitally important that we list the likes of Simon, Richard Durrant and Greg Downey. It is important on a global scale that fresh UK DJ's are pushing forward the boundaries of dance music and club culture, plus it would be nice to see some genuine new talent in the top 100.

Thanks folks,

R.

No probs Robin - you need not justify Patterson's case. He has certainly demonstrated his ability both as a DJ and Producer, however, as discussed his DJ fame is understated.

Another good year for Jules too...

It is vitally important that we list the likes of Simon, Richard Durrant and Greg Downey.

Its also vitally imortant that we spell their names correctly, otherwise that vote for Richard Durand could end up going to Andy Durrant of Riley & Durrant instead... :P

I'm voting for:

1. Eddie Halliwell

2. Armin van Buuren

3. Marcel Woods

4. Markus Schulz

5. Barry Connell

I've voted for DJ's that I've seen a few times, which are consistently good, even though they're not musically my cup of tea. Armin isn't always my cup of tea musically, but out of all the Trance DJ's, he's by far the best and most consistent. He's far better than Tiesto and PvD in my opinion. Markus Schulz also isn't my cup of tea - but he's a solid mixer and a good set builder, so he also gets my vote. Eddie's skills speak for themselves. Marcel Woods is a DJ I rate very highly - very energetic sets, bags of enthusiasm and not a bad mixer - my only gripe is his predicatability and often stale sets (too many tunes he's been playing for ages). As for Barry Connell - he's a young Eddie Halliwell. VERY talented, very versatile (he plays anything from House, to Trance & Techno), and very under-rated. This guy has a bright future.

And if there is any justice in the DJ world, the following low-rankers would all recieve some high rankings in the top 100 poll for consistently good form over the last year:

Menno de Jong, Mark Sherry (VERY under-rated), Dave Pearce (Seriously - this bloke has been on fire this year!) and Paul Thomas (House DJ).

If you could vote for favourite producers, then i'd be voting for, based on form over the last 12 months:

1. Richard Durand

2. John O'Callaghan

3. Fabio Stein

4. Randy Katana

5. Paul Webster

6. Cosmic Gate

7. Greg Downey

8. Mike Foyle

It really pisses me off when people vote for their favourite producers in this poll, and then it ends up getting them inside the top 50. This is the top 100 DJ's poll - production is a completely different area. Its soooo annoying when a producer breaks into the top 40, despite being a truly awful DJ (Ronald van Gelderen!!!) - and then clubs book them because they think we want to hear them when they're in the top 40. NOOOOOOOOO! Just.. NO!!!

Anyway, back on topic, for the first time ever, i've not voted for Jules. Jules has been highly disappointing over the last 12 months, and i'm beginning to lose faith now. Its time to bring some new faces through. Durand, Connell, Downey and O' Callaghan are our DJ's of the future!

1/Eddie Halliwell

2/Marcel Woods

3/Si Patterson

4/Steve Angello

5/d.Ramirez

a big of a mixed bag. Of all the house DJs i seen over the past 12 months, D.Ramirez and Steve Angello are probably the best. I think Eddie Halliwell will place very highly this year - especially with his US gigs and his radio show. I;d fully expect a top 5 placement for him with ease - he looks set to take over from Jules really.

Si Patterson - many of you may remember i said "DJ first producer second"...well thats still how i fell about him. I bet he'd be pissed at that too so err...dont tell him. His productions are good, but i think he is such a good DJ.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Jules's latest diary entry summed up the DJ Mag Top 100 well:

In an ideal world these sort of popularity competitions wouldn’t exist. However they do, and a lot of promoters take the poll very seriously (in fact most of them treat it as gospel.) Thanks to the support of my friends I’ve done consistently well, so please can I ask for a moment of your time to cast your vote.

you would like to think DJ Sammy would be up there...

lol Moonman, DJ Sammy got to #61 last year; Dave Pearce - #175... hmmmm!

For everyone's interest also, Jules' positions in the DJMag Poll since its inception are as follows:

1997 - #4

1998 - #3

1999 - #4

2000 - #6

2001 - #11

2002 - #7

2003 - #9

2004 - #14

2005 - #15

2006 - #16

2007 - #?

The 2001 result is the surprise for me - he had a cracking year... perhaps may have been a reaction to the dropped Friday night shows? Sorry BBC but you binned a winning formula. What were you thinking? -_-

Sorry BBC but you binned a winning formula. What were you thinking? -_-

too right. Annie Mac is way too overhyped. I can honestly say i find her show boring. Thats everything in the show. Sorry! They should have kept Jules on a friday night or put Eddie on friday nights.

I hate to say it, but I feel Jules will have his lowest position since the poll started this year. In fact, I think he'll struggle to stay inside the top 20 :(

I agree, but I also thought the same last year. No matter how poor his radio shows are these days, his club nights still generate enormous support and atmosphere. The fact he doesn't just stick to the same old nights in the same old venues, means he reaches out to a broader audience. This includes towns that probably haven't seen 'Top 20' Djs before.

His Global shows also seem to attract a good worldwide following and clearly Judgement Sundays has been an enormous success again.

i actually voted for him in the 5. Because i do actually still like his radio show. I dont think he's changed as much, he's moved with the music. When he played house 5-6 years ago, he played the disco/filtered/funky house sound. Now he plays electro house because thats what producers are making at the moment. I cant remember the last time i bought a filtered/funky/disco house tune! The same with trance too, Tech-Trance seems to be the big thing at the minute, if thats what the producers are making then thats what he'll play.

When he played house 5-6 years ago, he played the disco/filtered/funky house sound. Now he plays electro house because thats what producers are making at the moment.

The same with trance too, Tech-Trance seems to be the big thing at the minute, if thats what the producers are making then thats what he'll play.

Unfortunately, I very strongly detest quite passionately both this "electro-house" and "tech-trance" nonsense.

I think I am not alone here!

The traditional, obscure funky house records moving onto the melodic trance was unbeatable. Damn you all. :angry:

I hate to say it, but I feel Jules will have his lowest position since the poll started this year. In fact, I think he'll struggle to stay inside the top 20 :(

Hmmm not terribly sure about this considering it's been Jules' busiest year as a DJ his career has ever seen!

So then are you saying, sir, that the more gigs one does, the more people will have seen you and thus the more likely you are to top the polls?

I often wonder the point of these polls... I mean who is not going to book Carl Cox for instance just because he's slipped down to number 12??

Exactly Mr. Q - stands to reason surely?!

If you're a wealthy foreign club promoter and you're intent on spending money on the world's top 10 DJs, 99.9% will turn to the DJ Mag poll in order to find out who they are. We have to accept that dance music and it's culture is far more popular in emerging territories than here in the UK and the bulk of Europe.

Archived